1993 WL seatpost issue

TheWheel

So my 1993 WL has a seized seatpost since circa 1999. Tried a bunch of tricks to get it out with no luck...worried about cutting it out and ruining the paint in the process, as its a Leslie Purple color. Got a quote for over $1000 to remove and restore to O.G., yikes. Are frames worth anything with a stuck seatpost? (the bike fits my size, but as I get older I would like adjustment options, this wont be "hung on my wall".

Attachments

• raceface stuff.jpg
    raceface stuff.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

colker

Every way of dealing w/ this is sad and ugly. I say post pone this as long as you can. 1k can buy you a new frame and seatpost. Just sayin

Stingercut

Cut the post off 1cm or so above the seat clamp area ( its not likely to be salvageable and the frame is the valuable bit ). Then either use a long file with a serrated edge to cut two adjacent slots into the alu piece stuck inside the seat tube or a hacksaw blade embedded in a thin piece of wood ( grooved ) to take the hack saw blade. Used both techniques successfully a few times. Be careful not to cut into the seat tube as its thin walled. Steady hands, 30mins of patient sawing away will do it.Then twist out the pieces with a wrench or pliers taking care not to leverage against the frame tubing and damaging it. Once the tubing has been cut through on at least two adjacent sides, it all comes out nicely. WD40 penetrating oil will help the process. Last pic is of a custom saw tool i made for this.

Attachments

• IMG_7294.jpeg
    IMG_7294.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7295.jpeg
    IMG_7295.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7296.jpeg
    IMG_7296.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7297.jpeg
    IMG_7297.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7341.jpeg
    IMG_7341.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

TheWheel

Cut the post off 1cm or so above the seat clamp area ( its not likely to be salvageable and the frame is the valuable bit ). Then either use a long file with a serrated edge to cut two adjacent slots into the alu piece stuck inside the seat tube or a hacksaw blade embedded in a thin piece of wood ( grooved ) to take the hack saw blade. Used both techniques successfully a few times. Be careful not to cut into the seat tube as its thin walled. Steady hands, 30mins of patient sawing away will do it.Then twist out the pieces with a wrench or pliers taking care not to leverage against the frame tubing and damaging it. Once the tubing has been cut through on at least two adjacent sides, it all comes out nicely. WD40 penetrating oil will help the process.
That will take some courage on my part...

Stingercut

Its a beautiful bike. Love the colour. You could cut and probably save enough of the Syncros 26.4mm seatpost to sell it on for a road bike.

AB

Actually once the seat post is cut off (IMO doesn't need to be 1 CM) buy a long half round file and start filing. Slowly but surely you will file down the soft aluminum. Same thing would work with a wooden dowel and HD metal sandpaper.

Stingercut

You need ~ 1cm sticking above the seat tube when you cut it up to grab hold of to twist it free, either using a wrench or pliers. In my case the alu post had galled to the Ti seat tube but it just makes it less likely you will ‘leverage’ against the seat tube itself potentially damaging it 🙂