Serotta vs Somerville: difference in Yo's ride characteristics

PanoIgano

Hi everyone,

I have recently came across a few comments in a popular bike website from users that claim that Serotta Yos are better. To me that means that they have an even more refined ride feel than their earlier brothers the Yos made in Somerville (see picture for comments).

Now I know that riding characteristics can be affected by many different factors and these users don't make any reference to them nor explain what they mean by better. I was just wondering though, does anyone who has owned / ridden both types of Yos would have any comments to share on any handling differences / characteristics they have noticed?

I know the whole discussion is so subjective but maybe it's not and there are indeed some slight differences in geometry, tubing and welding that affect riding.

Going through the manuals ('90, '91 vs '95 to '99) I cannot tell much other than Yos in the 90s were coming out in more sizes. I also understand that BOI forks are made of heated treated smaller diameter tubes and this definitely helped their better handling.

But assuming everything else is equal and that we concentrate on frame characteristics and ride quality would a '92 Yo size M for e.g be any different in it's handling to an equivalent from '97?

Any views / comments on this would be highly appreciated.

Thank you and have a great riding weekend!
Panos

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 19.33.20.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 19.33.20.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 19.28.59.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 19.28.59.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 6

colker

I tried to reply on radavist but the app would not let me.. anyways: i have not ridden yo eddys, only a 93 wicked lite but some friends have experience w/ Yos. These bikes evolved during the 90s. The BOI fork has smaller diameter tubes and the ride is smoother. Not more precise but smoother. The 10th aniversary came w/ the BOI if i remember correctly and a different tubeset on the frame. Geometry is the same as a YO (but mag21 susp corrected) and the ride feel is said to be better. Later YOs inherited the refinements of the 10th. Saratoga Fats kept the trend of refining, smoothing the feel.

ughe

Hi everyone, I think that by "better", we don't mean better from the point of view of rideability because this sensation depends on many factors such as geometry, elasticity, rigidity of the wheels and many others... Today many of these beautiful old MTBs have become collector's items... therefore, as happens in the world of cars and watches that I know quite well, by better we mean "more sought after"... They are better from a collector's point of view... a a bit like what happened with the Kleins before the Trek era, and with Merlin up to the cantilevers.... I think this is what is meant by best today. I often talk about this in my museum... For example I found this discussion as yesterday I worked on my Fat Shock a Billy color "Kandy Kobalt to Purple Fade", Team Violet with AMP rear end... which at what seems to be a pre-production, a limited edition... in the discussion with a friend of mine he pointed out the difference of the stickers on the frame... telling me that this was "better" than the following ones.... but he meant "better" ...from a collecting point of view. (forgive me for some grammatical errors, I use Google Translate).

Marco

colker

Hi everyone, I think that by "better", we don't mean better from the point of view of rideability because this sensation depends on many factors such as geometry, elasticity, rigidity of the wheels and many others... Today many of these beautiful old MTBs have become collector's items... therefore, as happens in the world of cars and watches that I know quite well, by better we mean "more sought after"... They are better from a collector's point of view... a a bit like what happened with the Kleins before the Trek era, and with Merlin up to the cantilevers.... I think this is what is meant by best today. I often talk about this in my museum... For example I found this discussion as yesterday I worked on my Fat Shock a Billy color "Kandy Kobalt to Purple Fade", Team Violet with AMP rear end... which at what seems to be a pre-production, a limited edition... in the discussion with a friend of mine he pointed out the difference of the stickers on the frame... telling me that this was "better" than the following ones.... but he meant "better" ...from a collecting point of view. (forgive me for some grammatical errors, I use Google Translate).

Marco
Seems like Serotta frames were better from a riding and owning a bicycle point of view. That´s what i heard but i am pretty happy riding my Sommerville Fat Chance.

Stingercut

I have Ti variants from both facilities and love them both. The 94 Ti is a work of art and a stiffer more pure performance orientated ride. The 97 Ti is softer more cruiser like comfort yet still a great handling ride. Again flawless minimal beautiful welds on both. Had Yos from both facilities also and I prefer the Somerville made one for riding. The NY one felt softer but great to ride. FATS are great to ride. The mystique of the Olive Sq made bikes and the characters that made them also influences their desirability as has been said.