FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old September 18th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #1
kevin881

Default chainstay protection stickers

I got my Yo back from a fresh paintjob at Vicious. I need to get a chainstay protection sticker thingy. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on which brand to use, where to find it, etc.

Thanks.
kevin881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 4:16 PM   #2
MikeyNYC

Post chainstay protection stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin881
I got my Yo back from a fresh paintjob at Vicious. I need to get a chainstay protection sticker thingy. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on which brand to use, where to find it, etc.

Thanks.
Kevin,

I like to use this clear rubber (vinyl?) 3/4" hose stuff that you can get at any decent hardware store. It fit's nicely down the length of a round Fat City chain stay and then I just cut it to size and use zip ties to keep it on there and it covers the entire stay from any blemishes...If you're concerned about water or moisture getting up and under it, you can see through it and always remove the zip ties and wipe it down and zip tie it again.

I'm just not a big fan of of the adhesive "chainstay protection sticker thingy" because of the sticky gooey removal factor, but of course another solution could just be to get a Lizard Skin chainstay protection thingy...Post some photos of the new paint job!

Michael-NYC
MikeyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 5:09 PM   #3
Yo Eddy!

With one bike I used an old, but decent looking tyre, I cut the middle/knobbed section and zip tied it. It looks tough (what I did like for that particular bike) and it does the job of protecting the stay.
Old September 20th, 2006, 5:30 PM   #4
kevin881

thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I have the lizard skin thing, but figured with this new paintjob that the adhesive would be like insurance. the paint is too pretty.

I will post some photos in the builders corner later tonight.
kevin881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 2:52 AM   #5
bruce t

Hey Kevin, the other problem is the dinging of the chain on downhills -- you can buy a carbon or aluminum sticky-on thing, I always wrapped a road bike innertube around the chainstay, w/ rubberglue (to itself) and strap ties on the ends. Quiets it right down, and protects the chainstay. Your chain will cut through it eventually, but it's cheap to replace.

Cheers, bt
bruce t is offline   Reply With Quote