Augh! Handlebar died...

Jeeves

I was just downstairs changing the worn out handlebar grips on my mid-80's vintage Wicked, and when reinstalling the old school Syncros steerhorns (expander bolt version) I (SNAP) cracked the handlebar! There's a 1-inch crack going down the length of the bar from the end.

This is an old steel FAT Chance bar, and I insist on keeping the old school Syncros Steerhorns even though they are ultra heavy, because they are by far the best ergo bar ends I've had.

I need to replace the handlebar, so that I can cinch down the bar ends tight enough...but I'm afraid that lighter modern bars won't stand up to the pressure of the expander bolt. do I have any options?

Downhill bars? Even better, anybody have an old FAT city handlebar?? :)

Thanks in advance for your help.
-Raj

bushpig

I used to work for a framebuilder back in the day and what we used for bars was basic 4130 tubing that we bent ourselves. If you can't find anything else, you might go that route.

Jeeves

Thanks

Thanks guys - I appreciate the suggestions. I'll be keeping an eye out on Ebay for a bit.
-Raj

younggeoff

Aarh handlebars.

Hello, if the Bars are Steel could you get them repaired, any weld will be hidden by the handlebar grips.

rody

If weight is not an issue...drill the end of the crack, measure the inside diameter of the bars, cut a steel plug extending 1" longer than the crack, press in place, then weld the crack and outside edge of the bar/plug. Should be all good, but alas, no more internal expander Syncros :(

cheers,

rody