FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old July 17th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #1
settemarche

Default Cornering the Market on Fat Stuff!!!!!

What is with the "lagunacoupe" on eBay gobbling up all the Fat stuff????? the prices are skyrocketing. the Fat TI, $800+ for a Cook stem? it is a free market - but it bums me out when the cool retro stuff starts getting into the stratospheric price range.<p>

if "lagunacoupe" is on this board - ring me up and let me take one of the bikes in your stable for a spin around the block ;-)
settemarche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #2
mainlyfats

Default lagunacoupe AOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by settemarche
What is with the "lagunacoupe" on eBay gobbling up all the Fat stuff?????
He bought one of my Fats and is a super nice guy who's just getting in to vintage stuff.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 1:46 PM   #3
settemarche

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlyfats
He bought one of my Fats and is a super nice guy who's just getting in to vintage stuff.

ah - that was your Wicked awhile back. i am sure he is a nice guy. i have found most people who are into Fats have a commraderie. it just seems that "lagunacoupe" is bent on global Fat domination ;-)
Old July 17th, 2006, 4:23 PM   #4
AB

Guess he got out dueled - Check out the M/L thread in the For Sale section. I agree - it does suck that the prices are way out of whack on ebay.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 5:14 PM   #5
settemarche

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB
Guess he got out dueled - Check out the M/L thread in the For Sale section. I agree - it does suck that the prices are way out of whack on ebay.
yea - can you believe that? almost $3K for a 13 year old and used frame. again, it is a free market economy - but on ebay it is definitely a sellers market. i did want that frame. but i would only want to pay $1500 - and i think that is a tonne of money for a frame. even if it is Ti.

my 2 cents.
Old July 17th, 2006, 6:13 PM   #6
bruce t

Default one got missed...

This beauty sold real fast!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160008882904

And I bought this one, along with a matching fork:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fat-Chance-Buck-...QQcmdZViewItem

Apparently the Buck was custom-ordered with Team Violet and the Team decals!

The seller sold some cool stuff yesterday, poke around his auctions.

Cheers, bt
bruce t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 7:08 PM   #7
settemarche

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce t
This beauty sold real fast!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160008882904

And I bought this one, along with a matching fork:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fat-Chance-Buck-...QQcmdZViewItem

Apparently the Buck was custom-ordered with Team Violet and the Team decals!

The seller sold some cool stuff yesterday, poke around his auctions.

Cheers, bt
what the eff is going on? i was out watching the F1 race and i loose out on a couple sweet bikes. i think i would have pulled the trigger on the Ti. the Buckshaver you bought is pretty cool too. i have a 93 in Lime Green. mine does not have the team sticker. the color is cool too. great find. you just made my day far worse.
Old July 17th, 2006, 8:03 PM   #8
bruce t

Sorry about ruining anyone's day. I would have loved to have the Ti as well, but a little out of my price league. (i'm just a poor musician type who likes bikes).

I just happened to do a search on "Fat Chance" over my morning (or afternoon?) coffee, and these popped up. I missed out on three Chris King 1" headsets in the $50 range, and a nice Ti Specialized stem, that either sold before I logged on, or while I was trying to decide to buy the fork as well as the frame (I have a 1989 Wicked fork lying around, but wasn't sure if its geometry would be correct for the Buck)....

Nice guy, though, sold a lot of cool stuff yesterday.

Cheers, bt
Old July 17th, 2006, 9:18 PM   #9
settemarche

[QUOTE=bruce t]Sorry about ruining anyone's day. I would have loved to have the Ti as well, but a little out of my price league. (i'm just a poor musician type who likes bikes).

well, i am just a poor teacher who likes old bikes. i think we could battle to see who is poorest!<p>

this was not nor will it be the first day that has been ruined. to compound matters i was just snipped on a set of White Industries rims. bummed since it was close to my house - could hav saved on local pick up.
Old July 17th, 2006, 9:28 PM   #10
MikeyNYC

Post lagunacoupe...

Quote:
What is with the "lagunacoupe" on eBay gobbling up all the Fat stuff????? the prices are skyrocketing. the Fat TI, $800+ for a Cook stem? it is a free market - but it bums me out when the cool retro stuff starts getting into the stratospheric price range.<p>

if "lagunacoupe" is on this board - ring me up and let me take one of the bikes in your stable for a spin around the block ;-)
lagunacoupe is making all of my retro Fat City and Cook Bros. stuff worth more in "eBay value"!

Michael-NYC
MikeyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 6:41 AM   #11
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyNYC
lagunacoupe is making all of my retro Fat City and Cook Bros. stuff worth more in "eBay value"!

Michael-NYC
hey: someone tell lagunacoupe and others to stop buying this stuff up till after I finish my re-build!

That was a real nice Ti for $1750 though.................
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #12
Jack Lantern

Quote:
Sorry about ruining anyone's day. I would have loved to have the Ti as well, but a little out of my price league. (i'm just a poor musician type who likes bikes).

I just happened to do a search on "Fat Chance" over my morning (or afternoon?) coffee, and these popped up. I missed out on three Chris King 1" headsets in the $50 range, and a nice Ti Specialized stem, that either sold before I logged on, or while I was trying to decide to buy the fork as well as the frame (I have a 1989 Wicked fork lying around, but wasn't sure if its geometry would be correct for the Buck)....

Nice guy, though, sold a lot of cool stuff yesterday.

Cheers, bt
How funny. I saw that frame while on my 2nd cuppa black as well. I thought about it for about 3 minutes, got up to pour myself cup number 3 and when I sat back down t'was too late. Maybe I should cut back on the coffee . Congrats, she's a beauty. Should build up nicely.
Old July 18th, 2006, 5:04 PM   #13
bruce t

Default Thanks, Jack!

I'll be psyched to receive it. Now starts the parts search. I went ahead and bought the Chris King-hubbed wheelset that was on the bike, but I'll still need brakes and levers, crank arms and chainrings, a rear derailleur, a headset....

I'm curious to see how much different the ride is from my old Wicked. The guy I'm buying it from said he liked the ride better than his Yo, though.

bt
Old July 18th, 2006, 5:47 PM   #14
Yo Eddy!

Hi,

That is a comment more often heart. The Buck is a more comfortable ride, due to the monostay setup and smaller diameter tubing. Go here for various reviews: http://www.fatcogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289
Old July 18th, 2006, 6:40 PM   #15
settemarche

Quote:

Michael-NYC

quite right Mike. you gotta be a thousandaire at least by now!
Old July 18th, 2006, 6:43 PM   #16
settemarche

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-tony
hey: someone tell lagunacoupe and others to stop buying this stuff up till after I finish my re-build!

That was a real nice Ti for $1750 though.................

thank you Fat Tony. some people are really just not being considerate of others. i would really like to have built a Fat Ti. this sub guy and laguna guy are not respecting my wants and needs. it sounds like you have felt the wrath of there cubic dollars!<p>

if i had seen that single speed. i sould have bit the bullet and just converted it back. that one was a stinger!
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #17
MikeyNYC

Post Cornering the Market on Fat Stuff!!!!!

Quote:
quite right Mike. you gotta be a thousandaire at least by now!
Well, that person spent $830 on a Cook Bros. Racing Stem alone and I paid about $850 for my "Fat Chance" frame with the Box Crown Fork, a Specialized headset and the Fat City Bottom Bracket back in 1988 - Since I have a similar Cook Bros. Racing Stem installed in said frameset/complete bike, I do believe that my net worth is well into the 4 figures - Not to mention what it must be worth on eBay in other currencies around the world wherever Fat Cogs may be lurking!

Michael-NYC
Old July 19th, 2006, 9:46 PM   #18
settemarche

Quote:
Well, that person spent $830 on a Cook Bros. Racing Stem alone and I paid about $850 for my &quot;Fat Chance&quot; frame with the Box Crown Fork, a Specialized headset and the Fat City Bottom Bracket back in 1988 - Since I have a similar Cook Bros. Racing Stem installed in said frameset/complete bike, I do believe that my net worth is well into the 4 figures - Not to mention what it must be worth on eBay in other currencies around the world wherever Fat Cogs may be lurking!

Michael-NYC
Mike - i knew the NYC was a cover. you are &quot;lagunacoupe&quot;! it is obvious with that exact dollar figure on the stem. you are him and he is you. since you are just down the street in So Cal - invite me over so i can take a spin on the Ti.<p>

thanks for allowing the satir ;-)<p>

sette
Old July 20th, 2006, 9:12 AM   #19
MikeyNYC

Post Cornering the Market on Fat Stuff!!!!!

Quote:
Mike - i knew the NYC was a cover. you are &quot;lagunacoupe&quot;! it is obvious with that exact dollar figure on the stem. you are him and he is you. since you are just down the street in So Cal - invite me over so i can take a spin on the Ti.<p>

thanks for allowing the satir ;-)<p>

sette
Sette,

You've got me all figured out! Yeah, NYC is just a cover for me living in Laguna and buying things that I already have for many times the price that I paid back in the day! Sure just stop by anytime to ride my Ti Fat Chance, heck you can keep it as long as you want to, but you'll just have to be careful that you don't miss my driveway...by about 5000 miles

And to Lagunacoupe, we're all just jealous that you can buy whatever you want and now have some seriously cool Fat Chances!

Michael-NYC (NOT O.C.)
Old July 22nd, 2006, 6:47 PM   #20
lucifer

Wow those were two killer deals. The buck at a little over two bills was an awesome deal. And the ti with great parts was worth every bit of what it sold for. bummer I was on vaca...
lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 9:18 PM   #21
Mojo Troll

Default Team Violet Buck

The Team Violet Buckshaver is actually a late 93 model. Best I can recall it was the 53'rd Buck ever build. It was a custom color and decals. I should know, I rode that frame for close to 13 years. I hope it went to a good home. Anyone here?
"We are a mirror of how we are treated. If we face or believe we face indifference, we will return indifference. On the other hand, if we are the object of genuine interest, we will respond with the same"- Mike Kazeef
Mojo Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #22
bruce t

Hey Mojotroll,

It went to a good home, it's sitting in my living room right now waiting for a Chris King headset (grabbed one on Ebay last night) and a Zooka from Lucifer. I have most of the parts to put it together, still looking for brakes, etc.

So this was your bike? I would have loved to see it as it was originally built, what parts were with it, etc. She's still gorgeous!!! A good companion to my '89 hot pink Wicked.

Cheers, bt
Old July 25th, 2006, 8:01 PM   #23
Subsea_Driller

Default Sorry folks...

I didn't mean to upset anyone. Honestly. The single speed was a no brainer, didn't even have to think twice about it. Couldn't hit the buy it now button fast enough. As for the top dollar frame. eeesh. Ouch.
The frame is going to a good home, really. It's going to be crossing the pond where a mate of mine (a bike mechanic) will take great care of it. He is an IF customer and has lusted after a (sommerville) Ti since they rolled out of the welding shop. The pound is so strong at the moment that the cost isn't that painful to him. I'm not making anything on it, he's a mate.

As for my single speeder, it'll stay so for the forseable future. Glad to meet you folks here. Pleasant forum. And anyway looks like you lot own more than one FC. What's wrong with spreading it around a little bit?
Subsea_Driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 8:31 PM   #24
settemarche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea_Driller
I didn't mean to upset anyone. Honestly. The single speed was a no brainer, didn't even have to think twice about it. Couldn't hit the buy it now button fast enough. As for the top dollar frame. eeesh. Ouch.
The frame is going to a good home, really. It's going to be crossing the pond where a mate of mine (a bike mechanic) will take great care of it. He is an IF customer and has lusted after a (sommerville) Ti since they rolled out of the welding shop. The pound is so strong at the moment that the cost isn't that painful to him. I'm not making anything on it, he's a mate.

As for my single speeder, it'll stay so for the forseable future. Glad to meet you folks here. Pleasant forum. And anyway looks like you lot own more than one FC. What's wrong with spreading it around a little bit?

In time all shall be revealed. Sub - kudos to you. i never even saw the single speed, but if i had - like you said - i would not have been able to hit the button fast enough either. the old saying goes - "you snooze you lose". i was sleeping on the single speed. the frame i thought was just a little high.

i am pretty sure that none of us were or are upset. all of us want all the of the bikes, so when we are beaten at our own game we might want to vent on the board.

enjoy the ride,

Sette
Old July 25th, 2006, 9:32 PM   #25
bruce t

Default welcome, subsea...

Nice score. I really stared at that one, and if I'd been following Ti prices, I might well have put myself in hock for it. Lots of nice parts on it.

But I've never even ridden a Ti bike, all my bikes are old-school chromoly (the road bike still has friction 6-speed shifters and toe clips, and of course, an Ideale leather seat). One of the things I liked about the Fats was their amazing paint pallette, so those silver bikes looked kind of boring. So, I bought the Buck.

Maybe I should make a point of going out and riding a new-school bike or two, but I'm so used to my old iron.

At any rate, nice score on that, too bad you're not keeping her.

Cheers, bt
Old July 26th, 2006, 9:06 AM   #26
Yo Eddy!

blah blah bla

Last edited by Yo Eddy!; July 26th, 2006 at 9:23 AM.
Yo Eddy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 9:20 AM   #27
Yo Eddy!

Quote:
Nice score. I really stared at that one, and if I'd been following Ti prices, I might well have put myself in hock for it. Lots of nice parts on it.

But I've never even ridden a Ti bike, all my bikes are old-school chromoly (the road bike still has friction 6-speed shifters and toe clips, and of course, an Ideale leather seat). One of the things I liked about the Fats was their amazing paint pallette, so those silver bikes looked kind of boring. So, I bought the Buck.

Maybe I should make a point of going out and riding a new-school bike or two, but I'm so used to my old iron.

Cheers, bt
It seems somebody out there heard you => Chameleon Ti

BTW I do know there is a Chameleon Ti on FatCogs. That one was acquired through eBay some time ago. Are there more???
Old July 26th, 2006, 9:24 AM   #28
Yo Eddy!

Are there more??? Dunno, but anyway those are the same ...and I didn't encouter it at FatCogs previously, but here
Old July 26th, 2006, 9:54 AM   #29
settemarche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Eddy!

BTW I do know there is a Chameleon Ti on FatCogs. That one was acquired through eBay some time ago. Are there more???

Melvin - are there any more out there???? it is like an episode of the X-Files! regardless - Chameleon Green Ti? i must make it mine. there is the Shock-A-Billy out there too. not as into that paint scheme. but an interesting bike none the less. i am hoping the bidding does not again go into the stratosphere.

Sette
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #30
Subsea_Driller

Quote:

Cheers, bt

Thanks for the welcome. I'm keeping one Ti. The single speeder. Personally, painting Ti frames should be made a crime but that's just me.

Anyone know what the Ti frame retailed for back in '93?
Old July 26th, 2006, 6:11 PM   #31
rick

Default 93 Ti

Anyone know what the Ti frame retailed for back in '93?

I think that we covered the pricing isuue some time back in another posting, but I am not certain where it is located.

I know that I have the information at home but IIRC it was about $2795 or something like that, very pricey. I believe that the price actually came down later in the run.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 3:44 PM   #32
AB

Definitely $2,200.+, but after that who really cares. No offense to anyone, but original MSRP usually doesn't have any bearing on current market value when you're talking anything collectable. I paid $1,250.00 for a Yo frameset back in 1992 and I do not think I would get that today .... unless someone really wanted it.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 4:15 AM   #33
Yo Eddy!

Quote:

It went for about $50 less as 8 months ago, but take into account some specs are different (Jones bar came on, XTR F mech had to go..)

....and it went to 'lagunacoupe'
Old August 10th, 2006, 8:47 PM   #34
kevin881

Quote:
It went for about $50 less as 8 months ago, but take into account some specs are different (Jones bar came on, XTR F mech had to go..)

....and it went to 'lagunacoupe'
and another....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
kevin881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 3:44 PM   #35
Subsea_Driller

Default Ebay Shysters...

Well its time to report. And I'm doing my best to refrain from profanity. Remember that $2600 frame I bought. It came with 0.25mm deep, 4mm diameter gouge on the chainstay directly above, facing outward, the first toothpick mount. It wasn't shown in the initial ebay listing and wasn't shown in the additional photos I asked for and recieved. (in his small defense I did not specifically ask for a picture of that particular location). The frame was described as near mint so why wouldn't the seller alert users to the gouge. I know why, that would have effected the price of the frame! He's not stupid. And he's a bigot too. I had been trying to work the issue out with him but because I had been offshore I was a week in getting back to him. I quote from his last email to me...

"being a 37 year old-car free- bicycle
lifestyle lifer,it turns my stomach knowing it went to
someone in the OIL industry...booooooo
"

You live and learn. Ask for photos of every inch of any frame you are bidding on. He offered a complete refund only, I guess so he could pass it on. However the frame has already departed across the pond. Opinions of others have put the gouge as not structural.

All I wanted was the dude to be honest.

And to top it call. He has accused me of faking the other Ti (the singlespeed) (I sent him a pic of it). He states,... wait a minute I can quote him again...(from the same email)

" i've got my ebay account programmed to email me
EVERY fat chance that comes up for auction in the
cycling catagory,yet i didn't see the ti fat you sent
me a pic of.i think you're seeing alot of ti fats
selling for that 1500-2000 price range you speak of,i
hope you realize,being new to the FAT bicycle
community,that those are all post serotta buy out
fats.....they're serottas with a fat chance sticker on
them....they're not fats.a sommerville mass. built ti
fat chance is extremely rare,thats why the guy you
were bidding against had such a high bid on the
frame,its a '93,the first year made,the buy out took
place in 94-they made this frame for only 2 years
"

Anyway that's my story.

the Ti I purchased from Fishhiker is fantastic by the way...
Old August 11th, 2006, 4:22 PM   #36
settemarche

The frame was described as near mint so why wouldn't the seller alert users to the gouge. I know why, that would have effected the price of the frame! He's not stupid.

Dearest Sub,

please have a look at the link posted in the Retro MTB section. it is of a Salsa Ala Carte that i have just purchsed on Ebay. look at the pics. read the description. turns out this bike arrives with water in the downtube. yes, you all read that correctly. when i was turing the bike around on the bike stand i would hear the water rushing around. all kinda rusty water came out of the water bottle holder holes. a total buzz kill.

even more interesting. this guy said that he was cruising the bike around his place. this thing arrived with everything in disarray. it would not have been rideable. the front tire did not have a tube.

toptube has two dents. neither of which was mentioned. he did try and cover them with a sticker. a sticker which is not in any of the ebay photos. lastly the rear derailer was switched. he had told me the bike was full XT. but he poached the rear derailler and left me with a 70's 6 speed rear unit.

like yourself i am going to have to throttle back on the ebay. unfortunately there seem to be some dishonest people. not quite sure why - oh yea. you mentioned it before above. but i truely hope that karma catches up with them.

Sincerely,

Sette
Old August 11th, 2006, 4:55 PM   #37
Yo Eddy!

"being a 37 year old-car free- bicycle
lifestyle lifer,it turns my stomach knowing it went to
someone in the OIL industry...booooooo
"

" i've got my ebay account programmed to email me
EVERY fat chance that comes up for auction in the
cycling catagory,yet i didn't see the ti fat you sent
me a pic of.i think you're seeing alot of ti fats
selling for that 1500-2000 price range you speak of,i
hope you realize,being new to the FAT bicycle
community,that those are all post serotta buy out
fats.....they're serottas with a fat chance sticker on
them....they're not fats.a sommerville mass. built ti
fat chance is extremely rare,thats why the guy you
were bidding against had such a high bid on the
frame,its a '93,the first year made,the buy out took
place in 94-they made this frame for only 2 years
"

Signed, @ssh*le

Too bad Subsea Driller. I consider it fraud. Still great you got a nice frame and you can ride it without trouble, but bummer you paid probably to much thanks to the beceiver. He will now maybe take his wife and kids out for a diner, they laugh a lot... Some people are apparently happy living their lives this way.

Another issue: The reason why I consider early Ti FATs a tiny bit more desirable is the sleeved butting method that is very pleasing to my eye.
Old August 11th, 2006, 7:06 PM   #38
bushpig

This nonsense really pisses me off. I have been burned before buying items at a distance, but fortunately not that often. The worst was the Pro FRO Yeti that is my main ride. The seller neglected to mention the dent in the top tube and damage to the crown race that had to be repaired before the bike was usable.
Old August 13th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #39
Subsea_Driller

Default from another planet...

Thanks for the kind words folks.

My final whine, then it's over. This forum isn't for harking on about losers on ebay. In his last email to me he says he would like to see $20 a gallon for gas. It doesn't take much to imagine the consequences of this. Do you think he would be happy carrying his ill child to hosipital because the emergency services can't afford the fuel for the ambulance, or the life support machine has to be turned off because there isn't enough energy to go round and it's someone else's turn.

One word. MUPPET.

Oh well. Just watch out for him on ebay.

what is the material spec used in the steel frame with the water in it? I think it's 4130. Is this correct?
Old August 14th, 2006, 8:32 AM   #40
flyingsuperpetis

Default Touche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea_Driller
Thanks for the kind words folks.

Aye Subsea, well played on the Ti. In the time it took me to sign in to BIN that SS, your name popped up on it! Sorry to hear the seller was a hoser.

Somewhere out there, my frame awaits. In the mean time, I'll have to get by with Merlins Fat copy...

Can we count the early Merlins as Fats?
flyingsuperpetis is offline   Reply With Quote