FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old February 7th, 2006, 4:42 PM   #1
Spikes

Default Yet another decal thread

I ordered a set of decals at the end of december 2005 and haven't heard from Wendyll since. Does anybody know if she is still around? It seems odd and not according to her normal friendly responses to not reply. The most annoying bit is the fact that there is a nice, freshly resprayed, Yo Betty lying around together with a bucket of lovely trickbits waiting to be assembled......
Old February 9th, 2006, 9:35 AM   #2
burnzy

Default Decal source

I have a '92 Monster refinished 2 years ago by Lloyd Graves and gang at IF. They did a beautiful job. Lloyd referred me to a guy in NC who made decals for Fat City. I don't know if he is still in business. He would not sell to me directly but I called and he confirmed they were still available(he had others as well). Then Lloyd called him and got decals for the entire bike for $30.00.
Here's info; Screen Specialities
336 982 4135
Ask for gary
Hope it works out.
Burnzy
burnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #3
stevek

I'm in the same position, gotta resprayed Wicked and a bench piled up with kit ready to bolt on. Can't put it together 'til the decals are on followed by the lacquer.

I was in touch with Wendyll last year and she said that she'd post the decals on the 8th December. The money has long been sent but alas, no decals! Not one response to my weekly emails either, wonder if she's ok? Heard she was in hospital last year...

If anybody knows of others who will sell Fat Chance decals to the public please drop me a line.

Thanks
Steve
Old February 13th, 2006, 8:01 PM   #4
yo' djblu

OKAY.. as a buyer of decals from Wendyll I have 3 sets. I do have to tell u that these sets are QUITE old or seem old. I have tired to get a set on my frame and had to lift each letter off with an exacto blade and painstakingly place them on the frame by hand one at a time. Not lots of fun.. I gave up after a while and just went out and got some oneshot lettering enamel, great for lettering on cars and vans blah blah blah. Better colours too boot. So I would suggest going with another source or having someone hand letter the bitch on. Here is my example On to the next phase of the build!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closeup.jpg (216.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg sideview.jpg (229.1 KB, 89 views)
yo' djblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #5
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo' djblu
OKAY.. as a buyer of decals from Wendyll I have 3 sets. I do have to tell u that these sets are QUITE old or seem old. I have tired to get a set on my frame and had to lift each letter off with an exacto blade and painstakingly place them on the frame by hand one at a time. Not lots of fun.. I gave up after a while and just went out and got some oneshot lettering enamel, great for lettering on cars and vans blah blah blah. Better colours too boot. So I would suggest going with another source or having someone hand letter the bitch on. Here is my example On to the next phase of the build!
What type grips are those? Oakley? Your build looks awesome!
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 7:00 AM   #6
yo' djblu

they are ouray grips. Found them on ebay a while back. I have a coda blue nuke proof stem i am adding SOON got to get a new front wheel and a new water bottle cage. JUST missed a killer seat on ebay that was green and blue matched perfectly, should have bid higher. want race face cranks in green i think maybe blue or yeallow. new seat post. i could go on but thanks for the kind words. Got here right here on fatcogs.
Old February 14th, 2006, 9:08 AM   #7
mainlyfats

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek

I was in touch with Wendyll last year and she said that she'd post the decals on the 8th December. The money has long been sent but alas, no decals! Not one response to my weekly emails either, wonder if she's ok? Heard she was in hospital last year...
I hope everything is OK because I too sent in money at the beginning of December and have nothing yet. Three months for decals - without a word - is a little weird though, no?
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 8:36 PM   #8
DaveH

Default Other source for decals

Is there any other source for decals? I to received the same response from Wendyll with a instant reply on where to send the cash but I dont want to wait a unknown amount of time to receive them. As someone mentioned they bought them threw IF? I got in touch with them and they want nothing to do with it. I need to get er done for the summer! Any ideas?

DaveH
033Y1M
DaveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #9
fatf**knchance

the guy in north carolina will not sell to anyone except a paint shop or possibly a bike shop. i think there is liability issues or something. he also originally produced them.
fatf**knchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #10
DaveH

Ill give him a try.

DaveH
DaveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 3:26 PM   #11
Spikes

I'm giving up on Wendyll: something must be wrong. Does anyone have default decals in a digital version? I'll get them printed at some local guy. "Fat Chance" on the down tube and "Fat" on the head tube will do the trick. I'll skip Chris' signature and the little flag near the BB. I'm looking for silver decals with a black border, to go on a cherry red Buck Shaver. I really must get it finished april tops.
Old February 28th, 2006, 4:09 PM   #12
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

I'm just wondering, if there was a solution to reproduction FAT decals, would Cogs want the original water slide/clear coat style that aren't very durable, or would you prefer an actual mylar printed decal that might not be restoration accurate, but would be more durable, and certainly easier to apply?
2006 Turner Flux
Doug Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 6:02 PM   #13
mainlyfats

Default Is it that time?

[QUOTE=Spikes]I'm giving up on Wendyll: something must be wrong. QUOTE]

When was the last time anyone heard from her? I've got November, anybody any later than that?
Old March 1st, 2006, 8:40 PM   #14
rody

If it gets to the point of supplying our own decals, I have a few sources that would be willing to produce them. Will wait until the group reaches a concensus though.

cheers,

rody
Groovy Cycleworks
rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 8:23 AM   #15
henk19

Default I am in

I cannot tell you how long ago i ordered my decals from Wendyll, anyway i never received them or any reply to my many messages.
So I am in for some other way to get good decals, I really need them.
henk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 9:09 AM   #16
mainlyfats

Default I'm at that point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rody
If it gets to the point of supplying our own decals, I have a few sources that would be willing to produce them. Will wait until the group reaches a concensus though.
I've missed two refinishing windows now and if I miss a third I think the painter is just going to tell me to forget about it.

The Fat decals I'm not so worried about - I know they could probably be found somewhere - what Wendyll promised to supply me with was a full set of Chris Chance decals for my road bike. Those are going to be a bitch.

I'm in. Rody, what can you do?

laffeux, spikes have you ever needed to source Chris Chance decals?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:12 AM   #17
Spikes

@Mainlyfats: I never needed Chris Chance Road decals, but would like a set just in case. Lat time I got a message from the Fat City Ranch was december 2005: that's where the trail ends.....
Old March 2nd, 2006, 1:55 PM   #18
Bssc

For the Chris decals give this guys a ring Cycle Art, Brian Baylis, Hot tubes, JP Weigle, and Ted Wojcik. Brian, JP, and Ted will be tuff to get in touch with Brian site has disappeared, JP does not have a site and last I talked with Ted he wanted to sell the business.
Bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM   #19
Bssc

Here is the picture of the decals I have left in my collection.

I never realized how many stickers/ decals I had from back in the day too bad my tool box is full.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sommervill decals.jpg (78.3 KB, 48 views)
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM   #20
MikeyNYC

Default RE: Yet another decal thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Carter
I'm just wondering, if there was a solution to reproduction FAT decals, would Cogs want the original water slide/clear coat style that aren't very durable, or would you prefer an actual mylar printed decal that might not be restoration accurate, but would be more durable, and certainly easier to apply?
Doug,

I recently spoke with a guy @ The Color Factory (1-800-62-gleam), and their painting prices seem pretty good-I may have him spray my Wicked Fat Chance frame/fork in White, and as far as decals he said that he could probably have some made but is not sure of the cost or availability, but the interesting thing that he did say is that he prefers to use the thicker "die-cut type vinyl decals" that peel and stick on, to clear coat over because the thinner "water slide decals" like the ones that you would've gotten direct from Fat City (or from Wendyll) are actually not so easy to clear coat over from the painter's perspective, since they are very thin and delicate and sometimes they will actually disintegrate when they spray the clear coat on and then they wind up having to redo the whole paint job because the decals are all smudged!

I personally would want the clear mylar printed decals since you can just slap them onto a frame, unless of course I was repainting a frame I would need the other type to clear coat over the decals...

Michael NYC
MikeyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 2:27 PM   #21
lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikes
@Mainlyfats: I never needed Chris Chance Road decals, but would like a set just in case. Lat time I got a message from the Fat City Ranch was december 2005: that's where the trail ends.....

I know its not exactly what you had in mind but there are some Slim chance decals on ebay right now.
lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 9:47 AM   #22
jo eddy

Default Decals

A guy in the german forum sells very good yo repros in two colours!!
Look by yourself.

Olli
jo eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 1:22 PM   #23
Spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo eddy
A guy in the german forum sells very good yo repros in two colours!!
Look by yourself.

Olli
Which german forum Olli? Do you have an address?
Old March 4th, 2006, 5:21 PM   #24
MikeyNYC

Default Yet another decal thread-What Decals do you have?

All of this talk about decals had me wondering what I actually had in my stash from over the years, so here's a little tease of my FAT decal collection...From what you may be able to see here I've got:

-a Large Shop window decal.
-a few window decals.
-Original small American Flags for upper Seat Tube (Pre-"Don't Tread On Me").
-"Don't Tread On Me" Somerville decals in 2 different sizes.
-"Designed by Chris Chance" decal.
-Strange "True Temper Tube Set Designed by Chris Chance" decal.
-Original Mylar Decal Sheet of Original Logos Circa 1982-1985 (Plus some extra cut pieces).
-Mylar down tube and head tube "FAT CHANCE" decal sets in Black(1) and Yellow(3 different head tube sizes!) Circa 1985-1990? All Mint!
-Peel and Press on type down tube and head tube "FAT CHANCE" decals in White, Yellow & Blue (1 of each color) all in seemingly usable condition.
-Peel and Press on type Complete "Wicked FAT CHANCE" decal set in White (kind of dry).
-Yo Eddy purple sticker.
-Logo art sheet from what looks like about the mid 1990's probably used for catalogs and letterhead, not decals as it's B&W not color...
-I also have a bunch of "YO EDDY" temporary Tattoos (not pictured)

FYI-I Will certainly entertain questions from the group, but NONE OF IT IS FOR SALE and I apologize that I don't have time right now to scan anything (Sorry)!

Michael-NYC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAT Decals.JPG (48.3 KB, 53 views)
MikeyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 5:33 PM   #25
Yo Eddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikes
Which german forum Olli? Do you have an address?
Hi Spikes,

Click ....and scroll down

@MikeyNYC
Already were impressed by the bikes ....but now again
Old March 5th, 2006, 3:12 AM   #26
Bssc

I would like a good scan of the art work page please.
Old March 5th, 2006, 6:37 AM   #27
Spikes

That would be the next step: scans and sizes of the different decal sets. Then we could all get some decals made locally.
Old March 5th, 2006, 9:26 AM   #28
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

I have been contemplating doing real artwork that could be used to make reproductions for a while now. Scans of actual original art would be the best place to start. I have a lot of logos and art already created on this end so many of these things would be an easy leap for me to finish.

Just off the top of my head, bikes to start with would be:

Yo Eddy
Wicked/Wicked Lite
Fat Titanium
Buckshaver

Then what else?

The hardest ones for me to re-create will be the signature decal and hometown flags, because I don't have them flat. I have access to the Don't Tread On Me decal off of my Wicked, but not the new decals. If someone can provide hi-res scans, I can get the labor for the artwork done. If we have a source from Rody to create these, I think we're on our way to having a new source for restoration decals.

doug
2006 Turner Flux
Old March 5th, 2006, 9:48 AM   #29
Yo Eddy!

For Yo decals easiest way to go is simply get in touch with forummember lowrider
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #30
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

For US needs, though, they are about $45 before shipping costs. I'm thinking they could be done over here for probably less, and have more supply access and options for everyone. Just a thought.

2006 Turner Flux
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #31
mainlyfats

Default Standard FAT CHANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Carter

Just off the top of my head, bikes to start with would be:

Yo Eddy
Wicked/Wicked Lite
Fat Titanium
Buckshaver

Then what else?
The older pre-Eddy Team and regular Fat Chance decals would be great Doug. I'd buy sets of silver, black and yellow for my bikes.

And, of course, I'm losing sleep over the whole Chris Chance decals thing. My priorities are seriously out of whack (what can I say?), but if anyone has a scan of these, beers on me all night if we ever meet.
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #32
Spikes

Count me in for a set of silver Buck Shaver decals Doug! I could try to get the "Don't tread..." and Chris Chance signature from the German forum.
Old March 5th, 2006, 9:13 PM   #33
rody

Doug,

I've got alot of irons in the fire right now but I'll pm you this week. If we can start with a basic set of art and get it dialed, we can expand from there.

til later,

rody
rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 2:51 AM   #34
stevek

If anyone can do a set of Wicked decals in silver outline I'd be very grateful, been three months waiting for them to arrive from Wendyll, guess I can kiss that money goodbye?
Old March 6th, 2006, 3:12 PM   #35
Fat Woodchuck

Sign me up for a set of yellow decals for my '86 FAT. In for a repaint as we speak, and would love to get them before the clear coat. Any progress?
Fat Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 3:51 PM   #36
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

No progress since yesterday.

I am assembling the graphics and logos for items, and I have completed the art for the standard FAT CHANCE frame decal needs. I need to do some of the more universal decals needed like the flag decals and signature decals.

If anyone has any original decals and can provide high-res scans, please do let me know.

The first version of the decal sets I am working on is for Wickeds, and will be doing Yo Eddy artwork next. I think there is enough need for these that there is a good reason to go through the effort.

d
2006 Turner Flux
Old March 6th, 2006, 6:23 PM   #37
yo' djblu

I have scanned the flag and the sig. decals 600 dpi @ 100% of size. Would u like me to convert them to vector art or just upload the scans? I can do so by tomrrow evening if u want the vector. Just let me know. if so what version of illustrator do u want them saved in and would u require an eps or ai file.
Old March 6th, 2006, 7:06 PM   #38
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

Awesome! Vector is perfect. I'm using Illustrator CS2, so there won't be any problem with reading the files. Actually, if you could pass the scans along, too, that would be great. I will be trying to match colors eventually, so as many resources as I can get, would be a help.

Mail to: doug@apexspeed.com

Brilliant!
2006 Turner Flux
Old March 6th, 2006, 8:39 PM   #39
yo' djblu

ok u got it.. I will spec pms numbers to the actual decals if u want as well.

it's good to give back.
Old March 6th, 2006, 9:30 PM   #40
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

Beautiful! It's exactly what I would have done, anyway.

That will give me some time to develop the Wicked and Yo decals further.
2006 Turner Flux