FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old August 15th, 2004, 5:03 PM   #1
VTwoods

Default dented chain stay

I dented my right chain stay recently in two places. It was very sad. I brought it to a bunch of shops and everyone had the same reaction, bummer cosmetically, but shouldn't affect the ride. So far it is not noticable. One more great reason to own steel.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of new chain stays being welded on? Is that a good solution or will the repair be worse than a slightly bent chain stay?

If I was to look into having it fixed, the first place I would probably call would be Independent Fabrications. Any other ideas?
Old August 15th, 2004, 5:49 PM   #2
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

Repairs for Fat bikes seem to be going through one guy right now, for the sake of the authenticity and quality of the frame repair. That's Ted Wojcik. Ted's phone is 603-329-8057, and his site is http://www.tedwojcikbikes.com. I have seen his work and I wouldn't hesitate to send my frame to him for any work.

doug
2006 Turner Flux
Doug Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #3
VTwoods

thanks for te info. I see it is a New Hampshire area code. That is convenient for me in VT. I'll check it out.
Old August 18th, 2004, 5:42 AM   #4
scant

webby has some pretty massive dents in the stays on his Yo & its served him with no probs

scant
scant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 4:29 PM   #5
webby

Default Big Dent

I dented my seat stay at the world cup in 94 at Mount Snow, little endo in the woods but it somehow managed to land on a rock! Showed it to Chris a couple of days later after doing the DH race as well and he said it would be fine... it even ovalised the tube slightly. Never had a problem with it, wouldn't worry.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 1:37 AM   #6
SSjason232

I just got my bike back from paint at Vicious Cycles. My buddy who bought my old Yo Eddy recently dented the seat stay on the left side. I asked Jim @ Vicious if they offered repair services as well as paint to non-Vicious bikes and told me they did, and they have had a number of Fats in there over the years. They build a lot of custom steel frames (kinda like Fat used to do) and their bikes are work are top notch from what I have seen. They also paint awesome (for after the repair). Just an idea to keep your options open. Good luck.
Old February 8th, 2005, 9:54 PM   #7
mainlyfats

Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Repairs for Fat bikes seem to be going through one guy right now, for the sake of the authenticity and quality of the frame repair. That's Ted Wojcik. Ted's phone is 603-329-8057, and his site is http://www.tedwojcikbikes.com. I have seen his work and I wouldn't hesitate to send my frame to him for any work.

doug
My wife has a Wojcik and I wouldn't hesitate about putting my bikes in his hands for a second. His torch work is immaculate and his paint jobs are second to none.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote