FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old June 15th, 2005, 8:05 AM   #1
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Default To powder coat, or not to powder coat...

I am considering getting my frame powder coated. What are the pros and cons, because I don't know much about this process? I know that it is not original to Fat City and that kind of bothers me a little, although I can't image that they would not be dabbling into this by now if they were still alive and kicking. Comments please.........

How would one handle the decal situation because they would not be able to withstand 400 degree baking, would they? Would you color coat the bike, then apply decals, then clear coat? Is it even done this way when you powder coat something?

Thanks
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #2
scant

I've had another (non FAT.. the shame!) frame powdercoated & decals stick to it just fine. you could clear laquer over the top later if required. FAT is kinda famous for cool sprays & fades, which are way more difficult & costly with powder than with paint. if you want a cheap.1 stock colour option (white is nice!) then powders a safe option... tho I have no idea how well original FAT decals will stick to powder

scant
scant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 1:33 PM   #3
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

Poweder coating was being done a LONG time ago by bike companies, in fact, I remember VooDoo had powder coated their bikes in the early 90s. They were not very attractive.

A good powder coater can lay down a finish that is almost identical to a painted finish, even flames and fluorescents. The only downside that I have ever found is that the finish is almost impossible to remove should you ever decide you want another finish. Colors can also be fairly limited to what you can match off of a chip book, too.

Personally, I'd want a good painited ad clearcoated finish, but I'm kinda grouchy like that.
1993 GT Xizang
Doug Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 9:44 AM   #4
jo eddy

Default Powder

My Fats are all coated ! There is more resistance to stones from wheels,and the todays quality of the powder is so good that you see no difference to wet paintings !!
Olli
jo eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #5
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Default powdercoat process

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo eddy
My Fats are all coated ! There is more resistance to stones from wheels,and the todays quality of the powder is so good that you see no difference to wet paintings !!
Olli
Jo Eddy; What was your process? Did you have the frame powdercoated, then apply stock decals, then clear coat or did you do something different?

Last edited by fat-tony; June 16th, 2005 at 10:06 AM. Reason: type-o
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #6
jo eddy

Default Coatings

At first powder than original decals from Wendyll and after that a clear paint safe over it,finish. I
jo eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 4:40 PM   #7
rick

Default Powder Coating

I believe that some of the early Fats were indeed powder coated.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote