FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 6:34 PM   #1
phil40soon

Default Team Comp?

Hey all, I just picked up a beater frame/fork with extras for 20 bucks, listed on a local used site. It's badged Kona with a repaint and obvious replacement sticker. I bought it for the Syncros stem included. When I picked it up I noticed it has a pressed in BB. I didn't immediately think of FC, but it has some other telltale signs, including bullet stays, the seat stay gusset and seat post collar slot. The bullet stay ends seem a little smaller than I've seen before, and the cable routing is either side of the TT which I also haven't seen in person before, so I wasn't convinced although it's obviously nicely made. Also has a sloping crown fork with no eyelets; no eyelets on the stays either. Anyway, the serial number is 08929TC. So now I'm thinking it could be an 89 Team Comp. No pics, but just putting it out there -- could it be, based on that SN? Oh, and also GP Wilson dropouts.
phil40soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 7:55 PM   #2
zonq

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil40soon View Post
Oh, and also GP Wilson dropouts.
holy jeez

well done man
zonq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 3:22 PM   #3
I-ROBOT

I will drive up there right now and quintuple your money guaranteed! Oh - and you can keep the stem. Oh - and any other parts that came with it

Nice find
Scott
I-ROBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 7:20 PM   #4
mainlyfats

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-ROBOT View Post
I will drive up there right now and quintuple your money guaranteed! Oh - and you can keep the stem. Oh - and any other parts that came with it

Nice find
Scott
Phil40soon give this offer serious thought: it was made by the man who welded the frame you now have and he is - in large part - ultimately responsible for why we continue to talk about the bikes today.

Karma-wise, it'd be hard to do better!

Last edited by mainlyfats; November 24th, 2015 at 9:08 PM.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 7:48 PM   #5
Stingercut

^^ 1000% agree...no better man than IROBOT to restore his finest handiwork back to its former glory. There is a lot of work and $$$ needed to do it justice IMO and the resto thread will keep us all going though the long winter nights
Stingercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 9:12 PM   #6
mainlyfats

I'll do you one better, Stinger... $100 CAD towards Scott's purchase as a thank you.

OP - you're now at 10x your purchase price for a bike that'll cost a ton to put right (ask Stinger how I know...).

mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 2:48 AM   #7
Stingercut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
I'll do you one better, Stinger... $100 CAD towards Scott's purchase as a thank you.

OP - you're now at 10x your purchase price for a bike that'll cost a ton to put right (ask Stinger how I know...).

Where else would a true fan of one of the greatest frame builders in mountainbiking history show such appreciation ? Amazing gesture Mainlyfats and yes, I have already indicated such likely resto costs to the OP, in reference to the beauty you passed on to me.
Old November 25th, 2015, 9:26 AM   #8
I-ROBOT

As usual, thanks for all the great compliments guys!

I am wondering though, with a repaint and rebadging as another brand, maybe this bike was stolen some time ago??

Could be a serious rust bucket too

Hopefully the bike is legit and he can restore it to its former glory. If not...well who knows

Happy Holidays
Scott
Old November 25th, 2015, 11:41 AM   #9
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator

Amazing score. Let's see some pics!
Old November 25th, 2015, 7:40 PM   #10
phil40soon

IRobot: pm'd you. Contacted the guy I got it from. He purchased it a month ago from a long time owner. It's been painted over for a very long time. I'm certain it's legit and not stolen, but who knows the stories it could tell, eh? Get in touch and we'll chat. I have some questions about protecting it for now without refinishing it.
Old February 16th, 2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Shamobius

Man I wonder if this could be my old FC Team Comp, stolen from the other side of the country back in 1991? I've been searching ever since...

1992 Fat Chance Team Comp angled by shamalama88, on Flickr
Shamobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #12
Shamobius

Another pic:

1992 Fat Chance Team Comp side view by shamalama88, on Flickr
Old February 20th, 2017, 1:48 PM   #13
phil40soon

Well, well, well... looks like 08929TC is going home. Pics to follow.
Old February 20th, 2017, 4:18 PM   #14
phil40soon

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg
Old February 20th, 2017, 4:37 PM   #15
Stingercut

Incredible story this Phil...look forward to hearing all about it
Old February 20th, 2017, 4:54 PM   #16
phil40soon

We know little of its life history! Shamus knows the first couple of years, and I know the last year and a bit. About 25 mysterious years in between.
Old February 20th, 2017, 5:01 PM   #17
Shamobius

My mind has been BLOWN!... Phil is THE MAN!!!

Godsmacked, fully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil40soon View Post
Well, well, well... looks like 08929TC is going home. Pics to follow.
Old February 20th, 2017, 5:21 PM   #18
Shamobius

Well, in 1989 I was working in a bike shop saving my pennies towards what I thought would be the best steel frame available, the Fat Chance Team Comp. So elite it wasn't even in their catalog. I only knew a bit about them, but of course the Fat Chance name was already legendary. I was looking for something light and agile that could handle our region's technical singletrack. It looked like the perfect bike. I ordered it through our shop: I asked for custom cable routing, with top tube cable guides running at 5:00 - 7:00 - 11:00, giving what I thought were the cleanest lines to the back of the bike. For paint I wanted the metallic grey-blue of James Dean's Porsche from that infamous poster popular in the late 80s, with matching green forks and handlebar in the same tone. I had wheels built while I was waiting for the frame: blue bodied, silver flanged 36 hole Bullseye hubs on silver Mavic Oxygen rims.
It was the sweetest bike BY FAR I had ever ridden. It steered itself and was so comfortable on long rides. It honestly felt alive, and I could ride it on pavement hands free forever, no matter how drunk I was.
I had it for about two years before it was stolen in 1991/92; I went in to a corner grocery store about four blocks from my home, came out a minute later and it was gone...
Old February 20th, 2017, 5:26 PM   #19
Stingercut

Of only bikes could talk. What an amazing story !
Old February 20th, 2017, 5:46 PM   #20
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

This is amazing. You know you need to restore it to original condition now, right?

That bottom bracket area looks ill, though.
1993 GT Xizang
Doug Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 6:03 PM   #21
Wookie

Cool story. Definitely restore it and share the build. Need to find Phil a new frame too!
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 7:13 PM   #22
Retro Dude

Nice, American Classic seat post clamp, IRD seatpost, & GP Wilson dropouts.

Awesome story
Old February 20th, 2017, 8:32 PM   #23
Shamobius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
Cool story. Definitely restore it and share the build. Need to find Phil a new frame too!
I offered Phil a frame, but like many of us, he's in whittle-down mode! I'll find another way to re-pay him...
Old February 20th, 2017, 8:39 PM   #24
Shamobius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Dude View Post
Nice, American Classic seat post clamp, IRD seatpost, & GP Wilson dropouts.

Awesome story
When I saw the American Classic seatpost quick release, first generation Syncros stem and seatpost, I knew it was mine. But like Phil said, the wheels clinched it; that's a mighty clear fingerprint! I was amazed that the wheels were still around, I figured those would have been the first things the thief would have poached for some other bike, or sold off. So recognizable. It really makes me think that the bike was taken from my town, Victoria over to Vancouver, and perhaps sent out east and re-painted. I guess I'll never know. But that was the story back then, organized bike thieves from Vancouver driving around Victoria in a van, hopping out with bolt cutters, making off with bikes and taking them to Vancouver...
Old February 20th, 2017, 8:41 PM   #25
Shamobius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
This is amazing. You know you need to restore it to original condition now, right?

That bottom bracket area looks ill, though.
Yeah that bb looks scary. But of course, full restoration, down to the original paint scheme and components is mandatory. Hope the frame is still sound!...
Old February 21st, 2017, 11:31 AM   #26
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

My guess is that even if the BB is a mess, there are plenty of skilled craftsman watching that are emotionally connected to this brand who can help bring it back to life.
1993 GT Xizang
Doug Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 12:19 PM   #27
I-ROBOT

Congratulations to all!

Phil, sir, you are a man of honor and I commend your actions. I know what it's like to have a rare bike stolen and then to get it back many months later.

Shamus, I trust you can prove that you are the legal owner and can document your purchase and subsequent theft?

If I still had access to the right tools I would fix that frame up right but I'm not in the business anymore.

I would suggest contacting Chris through his Fat Chance Bikes website and maybe the guys at Ventana could perform any repairs if they are needed. Obviously a paint restoration is in your future at the very least.

Best story of 2017, so far

Scott
Old February 21st, 2017, 12:28 PM   #28
rick

great story, props to Phil for sure
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 4:14 PM   #29
mtbspirk

Thumbs Up

I just wanted to jump in to agree with everyone who thinks this is a great story. It made my day.

Quote:
Congratulations to all!

Shamus, I trust you can prove that you are the legal owner and can document your purchase and subsequent theft?

Scott

You bring up an interesting point. If I was challenged to prove I'm the legitimate owner of my '95 Yo! I'd be hard pressed to do so. The shop I bought it from is gone, I doubt I still have the original credit card receipt, and that cc/bank account has been closed for a decade or more. I do have pics here in the frame registry including the serial number, but that's about all of the public record I can think of.
mtbspirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 7:33 PM   #30
Shamobius

You guys are harshing my buzz!

Seriously though, I don't have the original paperwork, which is the only real way to prove beyond a doubt that its mine. I went back to my old bike shop where I worked, and bought the bike through. Any records they had from 25 plus years ago are long gone, shredded in to oblivion. But if I had to I could get 30-50 people to sign an affidavit saying they remember the bike and my ownership of it. Plus, four of the guys at the shop (Russ Hay's) still work there, and remember the bike well. If I needed that level of proof I could get it, but Phil and I have worked it out. For the expanded and current version of this story, go check it out here (if that's allowed on this site):

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/vie...64145&start=30

I will continue to add to this thread here as well as the story unfolds though. Thanks for everyone's interest!!
Old February 23rd, 2017, 12:22 PM   #31
I-ROBOT

Way to go!!

My TI bike was stolen and subsequently recovered by the Melrose Mass police after they received a tip from a local bike shop when somebody brought it in looking for parts. (the thief didn't get my seat and seatpost which were on the floor of my car that was broken into). Apparently it sat in the station for months while they tried to track down the owner (me). A nephew of mine heard about it and told me. I called the station and gave them what I thought was the serial number (I was off by one digit) but I also described the location and size of a repair weld that I had made on the sleeve of the downtube. I contacted Chris and he gave me a letter stating that I was the legal owner of the bike. The frame was a warranty return because of the crack in the sleeve (not a weld BTW - weird that it happened in the first place)
and Chris gave it to me as part of my severance when it was obvious that Somerville was closing. I repaired the crack and the frame was good as new. My description of the repair and the letter from Chris were enough to convince the police that I was the legal owner and they gave it back to me.

SO glad your story has a happy ending too
Scott
Old February 23rd, 2017, 1:36 PM   #32
zonq

Quote:
I would suggest contacting Chris through his Fat Chance Bikes website and maybe the guys at Ventana could perform any repairs if they are needed. Obviously a paint restoration is in your future at the very least.
Yeah, Chris Iglehart might be one to ask as well, if you wanted to keep the work done in the Fat family. He's a really nice guy and in the off-season (now) will occasionally take small jobs and works at a reasonable rate. Plux, his finisher is Keith Anderson, so you could get the original colors in your original finish, and bonus, with a set of original decals too (not for sale separately).

Either way, happiest thread ever.
zonq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 7:25 PM   #33
Shamobius

Thanks Scott and zong! I talked to Mark at Cyclesmith Halifax, and he has generously boxed up the bike free of charge, and offered me discounted shipping. Phil is taking it to the post office for me, hopefully tomorrow. When I get the frame I am going to strip the paint and see what kind of shape the frame is in, and if its going to need any pin holes filled, etc.. Rust...

It would be great to have some Fat City pedigree involved in the restoration, I will see who is available or interested. I just read somewhere that Keith Anderson is no longer involved in bicycles, but I'll be looking in to it for sure. At any rate Chris Chance is aware of this restoration story and he seems pretty tickled about it...

Last edited by Shamobius; February 27th, 2017 at 7:04 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 2:45 PM   #34
pinguwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonq View Post
...Plux, his finisher is Keith Anderson
Keith did my Carl Strong frame two years ago and did an amazing job. Talked to him about doing my Strong fat bike last summer but sadly, couldn't take it on. He is out of the biz as of last fall. Just an update.

Don't know if he will be returning or not but that's what it is now.

Great story about getting your bike back too. My first mtb was stolen and then it's successor was stolen. Some years later, I was overseas and the police contacted my family to say they found my bike! Friend went to pick it up and said, "Don't bother." It was so totally trashed, even the suspension fork had the lowers broken in two at the brake bridge. Not quite as happy as your story :-)
pinguwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:33 PM   #35
Shamobius

After what seemed like an eternity (it wasn't), I got an email from the post office today that a package had arrived. Let the fun begin...

20170307_144700 by shamalama88, on Flickr
Old March 17th, 2017, 5:08 PM   #36
Shamobius

When I pulled the headset and forks apart, I was able to see remnants of the original colours! Hopefully I can have these matched. I have sent the frame to Harald 'Toxic' Strasser in Vancouver for the re-paint...

20170308_092216 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170308_091311 by shamalama88, on Flickr
Old March 28th, 2017, 10:06 PM   #37
Shamobius

I just sold a Brodie Sovereign to M3mark without even realizing it! From one 1989 Team Comp owner to another, what are the odds??!

I was raising money for the re-paint of my Fat. Thanks for the assist M3mark! See you soon (and your TC I hope)!

user2037_pic548_1359010177 by shamalama88, on Flickr
Old May 5th, 2017, 10:22 AM   #38
Shamobius

It took me a long time to figure out the paint job (M-Power can attest to that!). My first impulse was to paint it exactly as it was the first time around. But then I recalled thinking the green fork never quite matched the frame, and at first glance looked like it had come from a different bike altogether. So I felt there must be another paint job that could use the two colours in harmony. The blue and green reminded me of the classic Aquafade, but Fat Chance didn't start using that scheme until the Yo Eddy's arrived. I thought about how I could do a fade that would have been possible in the late 80s. A few different ideas came to mind. Then finally one night I was lying in bed thinking about it, and the stars in the logo came to mind, and how cool it would be for the stars to achieve the 'fade' or 'bleed'.

Toxik Harald was very patient and helpful as I barraged him with ideas and questions, getting the colours right, and giving feedback as he designed the star transition. When I unpacked the frame, I was stunned at what a job Harald had done; it matched my vision perfectly, and the execution was/is flawless. He was even able to get the paint job done in time for me to build the bike for next weekend's Toxik Show n' Shine over in Richmond. Big thanks to Harald for making this happen; he more than did the frame justice.

It was a big expense relatively speaking, but considering my friend Phil Roach et al. donated the frame and many original parts to the project, I felt more than justified in the splurge. Plus, with the rough and tumble life this orphaned frame has gone through, I felt it had earned the privilege of new paint. I will never have a bigger better bike related story to tell than this one, and if my spirits ever need a lift down the road, I just need to take a peek at this beauty, and everything is all right all right all right...

20170428_183016 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170429_100225 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170429_100241 by shamalama88, on Flickr
Old May 5th, 2017, 10:28 AM   #39
Shamobius

I finished the bike yesterday using completely original spec components, many of which came back to me with the frame: wheels, stem, brakes, headset, bottom bracket, seatpost, seatpost collar and quick release. Took it up to the same rock outcropping where I took this picture:

1989 Fat Chance Team Comp side view by shamalama88, on Flickr

To bring it full circle...

1989 Fat Chance TC original build new paint by shamalama88, on Flickr

1989 Fat Chance TC original build new paint by
shamalama88, on Flickr

Old May 5th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #40