FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old August 10th, 2015, 12:12 PM   #1
datmony

Default Original NTN Replacement BB Bearings

So check out these bad boys. I have been reading on here and MTBR the numerous threads about replacement bearings and using substitutes for the originals etc. With a quick call to NTN though, I was able to get the original bearings for the Yo including the snap ring and still with the original orange seals. They are also a very nice Taiwanese bearing versus a China one as a lot of the other replacements were. I ordered them from Applied Bearings down the road from me in Everett, WA and they had them drop shipped to my house. NTN can set you up with a local supplier and just give them the part number and you will be good to go.

Do note that the bearing part number differs on the box slightly from what it shows on the bearing itself and seems to have gained a few letters over the years. If you give the part number off the box it will show right in NTN's system......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150807_16_16_02_Pro.jpg (457.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150807_16_16_13_Pro.jpg (385.5 KB, 67 views)
datmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:43 PM   #2
mainlyfats

Never thought I'd those again... Good sleuthing!
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 1:30 PM   #3
datmony

I was pretty stoked when I called them and found they were still around in the original style. I had tried using their part number locator off the site and it showed no matches for the original part number on the bearing (which is still the original part number on the new bearings) and then only after calling them did they note that the part number was different as it shows on the box.

They are a very high quality bearing and fit like a charm. Currently working on getting the Yo freshened up with some XC Pro bits so I can get a maiden voyage on my first Fat. Still going to be a bit unfortunately as a few of the original XC Pro items on this one were pretty worked and I need to find a couple replacement pieces.
Old August 11th, 2015, 5:04 PM   #4
Jeeves

Is the yo press in bb the same as the others? I need some for a Wicked.
Thanks!
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 9:46 AM   #5
mainlyfats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeves View Post
Is the yo press in bb the same as the others? I need some for a Wicked.
Thanks!
Yes. These are the ones you want.
Old August 13th, 2015, 1:13 PM   #6
datmony

I knew someone else must be in need of a set. They turned out pretty schnazzy.......
Old August 13th, 2015, 6:03 PM   #7
MikeyNYC

This is good info, I haven't seen the real NTN version of these bearings for quite a while.
I've found the knock-off versions, but this is good to know that they're still available.
MikeyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 1:11 PM   #8
datmony

They are the exact bearing in every way too. Great quality.... super happy I was able to find them. Others would have worked just fine I am sure but these are definitely legit.
Old September 14th, 2015, 6:41 PM   #9
Jeeves

Sorry - I'm being dense, I suspect, but I don't see these on the NTN Part Interchange (bearing search tool). There are three different bearings that end with LLUNR/3e, but none fully match the ID number on the box? Any help? Thanks!
-R
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #10
Captain Conway

Thanks for the lead. I just installed mine with the Rutland shaft collars and everything is buttery smooth. FYI what Phil wood sells ARE NOT the correct bearings. Is there a way to migrate this to the builders corner?
Captain Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 2:34 PM   #11
'89 Wicked

Checkered

ciao a tutti,

I just found this thread and thank heavens - I need some advice.

WHAT is the correct part number to ask for when placing an order? I also tried the PN on the box in the photos and ... no match on the NTN website.

Last edited by '89 Wicked; August 31st, 2016 at 9:44 PM. Reason: update
'89 Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 9:48 PM   #12
kdkicker

Default Phil Wood

I sent for some Phil Wood Bearings for my 86 Kicker and they were too big ID for the spindle. Fortunately I have a set of the others I have been saving. I forgot which Lactate we are supposed to use. Can someone help me remember?
kdkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 8:17 AM   #13
mainlyfats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdkicker View Post
I sent for some Phil Wood Bearings for my 86 Kicker and they were too big ID for the spindle. Fortunately I have a set of the others I have been saving. I forgot which Lactate we are supposed to use. Can someone help me remember?
In my book Loctite and moving parts = no bueno and I have never used it on bearing/spindles/collars. I think you'll thank me when you go to swap them again in 10 years and don't have to cut the top edge of the bearing out of the frame.

As far as I know the Phil bearings require a Phil spindle with - presumably - custom collars.
Old August 1st, 2017, 9:58 PM   #14
kdkicker

Thanks. I am pretty sure we used it previously as I think this is my 3rd set but I will try it without and see how it goes.
kdkicker is offline   Reply With Quote