FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old April 25th, 2015, 7:23 AM   #1
DocChill

Thumbs Up Who has ordered the new Yo! until now... anybody here?

Hi Fat-Fans,

today I asked myself who has odered the new Yo! until now... which colour do you prefer! For the germans (like me) it is really expensive at the moment. If you add taxes etc. we have to pay around 2.000 EUR for the frame. I'm not 100% sure, but I think grello is still my favourite colour...

Which kind of components would or will you use? I think I would use brands, which were also available in the late 90's (Rock Shox Fork + Dropper Post, Chris King Headset, Race Face Stem + Riser Bar, Shimano SLX Group with Race Face Crank and a classic looking wheelset...). So it should be possible to realize the complete Bike around 3.500 EUR .

How would your dream-Yo look...?

Hoping to hear from you -
cheers,

Daniel
DocChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #2
zonq

I think I would do grellow too. And choose a standard timeless assembly of: thomson stem, bar, and seatpost, plus a cool vintage crank for old times sake, 3dV or Blue Chris King headset and hubs, and a SRAM xx1 derailleur, cassette, and shifter for performance, with a wolf tooth narrow/wide chainring for the BCD of the crank.
zonq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #3
Wookie

I am going to go with the Lavender, & maybe a color-matching ENVE fork. I'd like to use mostly US made/owned bits (& CNC machined stuff): Thomson post, Thomson stem, Thomson bars, King hubs, maybe some Paul brakes, & a SRAM 1 X 10 group. I'm thinking of using a Brooks saddle & Mavic rims-basically stuff that would have been available in the early nineties (or similar). Groovy bars would be cool too.

I spoke with Alex at FC, & I may order it without the FD mount & braze-ons (if they use singles). I'm still pretty disappointed they won't fit 2.4 tires though.

Leaning towards modern with an old school twist.
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #4
fiatjeepdriver

I'm really considering ordering one but it would be really close to my new land shark so I might hold off a bit.
fiatjeepdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 9:20 AM   #5
DocChill

Thumbs Up I did it... ;-)

Hi together,

I've got a smile on my face - two days ago I ordered a "yellow-grello" 2015 production Yo! as 27.5er in size "S" .

Cheers,
Daniel
Old May 2nd, 2015, 2:18 PM   #6
aron

I ordered the I'm back so think it has its own paint scheme but would love to build with top shelf whatever is available when it's delivered. Lol. And it's a 29r
aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 7:54 AM   #7
PTOWN Bikes

Default Im a kick starter

ordered the 29
want to build as a 1x
color - jonesing for an aquamarine fade since I haze a team zig zag and a cosmic phade
PTOWN Bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 8:33 PM   #8
Wookie

Can't wait!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fat.JPG (38.4 KB, 95 views)
Old May 16th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #9
DocChill

Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
Can't wait!
Me too... !
Old May 18th, 2015, 9:44 PM   #10
Wookie

These would look cool on the new ride!http://ritcheylogic.com/mountain/bar...-bar-stem.html
Old June 3rd, 2015, 7:39 AM   #11
DocChill

Beer Yo! part-list for 2016...

Hi together,

here comes the current part-list for my 2015 production Yo! I think I will use the following parts:

Frame: 2015 Yo Eddy! in "Yellow"-Grello, size S,
Headset: Chris King (top: ZS44/28.6 / bottom: EC44/40)
Fork: RockShox Pike, 27.5er, 130 mm
Stem: Thomson Elite X4
Handlebar: Thomson MTB Aluminium
Seatpost: RockShox Reverb Stealth
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite "1990"
Wheelset: Custom Wheelset with Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs & DT Swiss Rims
Groupset: 2016 Shimano Deore XT (2 x 11)

I'll try to use only black-coloured components - so the frame colour will be the eye-catcher !

Cheers,
Daniel
Old June 3rd, 2015, 9:17 AM   #12
Stingercut

Sounds delicious Daniel
Stingercut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 8:19 AM   #13
DocChill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingercut View Post
Sounds delicious Daniel
Thanks to you ! I'll give everything that it also will look delicious... !!!
Old June 16th, 2015, 8:36 AM   #14
Stingercut

Can't wait to see this bike Daniel !

Looks like I am just about to finally complete my bucket list of retro Fats. I'm gonna wait to see if Chris produces a Ti or carbon full susser next year. Either that or it's a trip to the dark side for a Santa Cruz. Am I too old to be taking 50ft of air though ?
Old July 6th, 2015, 4:25 AM   #15
DocChill

Default Fat Chance 2.0...

...small update of my part-list:

Frame: 2015 Yo Eddy! in "Yellow"-Grello, size S,
Headset: Hope (Typ: Top 2 ZS44/28.6 + Typ Bottom H: EC44/40),
Fork: RockShox SID XX, 27.5er, 120 mm, QR15, tapered,
Stem: Thomson Elite X4, 80 mm, 0°,
Handlebar: Thomson MTB Aluminium Trail,
Grips: Oury, Lock-On (black),
Seatpost: RockShox Reverb Stealth,
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite "1990",
Wheels: Custom Wheelset wit Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs (V: 15 x 100 / H: 12 x 142 mm), DT Swiss XR 331 Rims, DT Swiss Revolution Spokes (2,0/1,5, black) + DT Swiss Pro-Lock Aluminium Nippels (black),
Groupset: 2016 Shimano Deore XT (2 x 11);

@Stingercut: I'm absolutely sure that we'll see Fat Chance Carbon Bikes too later, maybe in 2017! So you don't have to make a trip to the dark side... ! Till then you should enjoy your FCC Titanium !

Cheers,
Daniel
Old August 1st, 2015, 7:27 AM   #16
Scottp

Have any of the Kickstarter Backers recieved their new frames yet? If not, have any Backers heard from Fat Chance recently with regard to progress? The last communication from Fat Chance was in May and they stated new frames would begin shipping in July and early August. I signed up for a 29 frame and want to start to order parts for it. I emailed a couple days ago just to confirm specs so I could order correct size for hs, bb, hubs & seatpost. I got an email reply from someone who said they'd 'look into it.' Seems like easy enough questions for a small custom bike builder. I hope they're just busy working on their initial batch of frames... I have no problem waiting longer than quoted, but would feel better if they communicated more frequently.
Scottp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 8:28 AM   #17
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottp View Post
Have any of the Kickstarter Backers recieved their new frames yet? I have no problem waiting longer than quoted, but would feel better if they communicated more frequently.
Oh, Kickstarter, not again. Please.

1993 GT Xizang
Doug Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 9:00 PM   #18
Wookie

Per a Facebook response, mid October.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:28 AM   #19
DocChill

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Per a Facebook response, mid October.
That's similar to the info, which you you can find on their current webside (fatchance.bike):

"With the very first production run of the new Yo Eddy sold out, we’re now taking pre-orders on the 2nd batch with delivery scheduled for mid-October."

I'm also highly interested to see the first pictures of the kickstarter frames, which should have been delivered these days.

Regards,
Daniel
Old August 5th, 2015, 3:14 PM   #20
grd

I've had a few communications with Fat recently and they have always got back to me within a couple of days. I was told a couple of days ago that the frames would be shipped for the end of August. Looking forward to building mine up and giving it a ride before the end of the summer riding season.
grd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:22 PM   #21
Quacker Whacker

Default first production run

i'm scheduled to receive my new frame sometime this month but have yet to get a confirmed date. i'll be sure to post photos prior to building up the frame. I opted for a lavender 650b and will be building it with mfgr components who were around when I first starting racing Fat's in 92...

rockshox
Syncros or Easton
Chris King and Mavic
and I might even go as far as this - http://www.whiteind.com/mountain-cranks

we'll see how the $$$ hold up as I work through the build.
Quacker Whacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2015, 6:02 PM   #22
Wookie

I sent an email asking for an ETA on my frame (production, ordered early). Received a response:

Your frame is scheduled to be completed as part of our first batch which is getting underway at the moment. We're aiming for delivery at the start of September all being well. If this changes at all we'll let you know.
Cheers,
Alex.

Fat Chance Bicycles LLC,
support@fatchancebicycles.com
www.fatchancebicycles.com
Old December 11th, 2015, 3:41 PM   #23
Wookie

Anybody have an update on the new frames? It's almost 2016, and no recent updates.
Old December 18th, 2015, 6:53 AM   #24
DocChill

Checkered

Hi FATfans,

today I got this e-mail from Chris:

"Dear Daniel,

It' been a while since we updated you on your new Fat Chance frame and with us being so close to getting paint on the first of the Kickstarter bikes I wanted to share with you some more details on exactly where we're at. If all goes as planned, this week the first custom Kickstarter frames will be ready to go to the custom paint shop. Powder coating will begin on the remaining KickStarter frames next week.

It's a big step. It means, as far as the framebuilding goes, these first frames have gotten all the love we can give them. We are doing the final checks now. We’ve done all that’s possible for full-on Fat performance and function. Now we just need to give them some color and final assembly. Then we'll roll them out to the first recipients!

Again, if all goes as planned, the first ones will ship later this month and the rest of this first batch including your Production frame are scheduled to go out in January. We will give more info on ship dates once we have put a few bikes through the entire process.

Some of you have been contacting us asking when your bike will be coming to you. Let me fill you in a bit. When starting on the this first run of Fat Chance frames I had no idea what a long journey I would be on. There’s been so much tooling to do. Then the proofing of each tool or fixture, ensuring it makes the parts just as we need them. And for sure, I didn't know how much of the production I would be doing myself. The answer has been a lot!! I have been here, at Ventana, working long hours for months, assuring each step is done to the highest quality. A big appreciation to Sherwood Gibson and his team for being so great to work with!

Those of you that have ridden Fats, know I am very meticulous with all aspects of framebuilding. From designing through the final touches. I like my frames to look clean and streamlined. I am spending considerable time creating this visual quality. It doesn't do much for the eyes that don't look. But many folks over the years have told me how much they appreciate the clean lines and simplicity of my designs. This finish work is my personal touch. And I really appreciate your patience & understanding. The wait will be worth it!

I'm really excited to see pix of your first ride! Please do send them to me. They will have a special place on my wall.

Cheers to the Fat coming your way.

Chris Chance"

I think, that we'll see the first new Yo's in the beginning of next year -
in advance great, restorative christmas days to you !

Greetings,
Daniel
Old December 18th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #25
Stingercut

Good things come to those that wait You could wait up to 3 yrs for a hand built Aston Martin or Morgan
Old December 18th, 2015, 1:26 PM   #26
zonq

Ok maybe a fatbike before next winter then.
zonq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #27
Wookie

Any Kickstarter purchasers receive notification of shipment yet?
Old January 19th, 2016, 2:36 PM   #28
DocChill

Checkered

Quote:
Any Kickstarter purchasers receive notification of shipment yet?
I don't have to many detailed updates for you, but with reference to the latest rumors it seems, that the "kickstarter-purchasers" and the first "production-Yo!-purchasers" (like me) will be very happy in the begining of February .

It's like @stingercut said: "Good things come to those that wait ."

I also added the custom-painted Thomson X4 stem in grello with 80 mm length to my Yo!

Can't wait !

Cheers,
Daniel
Old January 19th, 2016, 5:36 PM   #29
wesintl

I ordered up a team violet 29r xl production. I wish i was flush during the kickstarter so i could have got a segmented fork

ordered a painted stem too. we'll see when it shows
wesintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 6:11 PM   #30
Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
I ordered up a team violet 29r xl production. I wish i was flush during the kickstarter so i could have got a segmented fork

ordered a painted stem too. we'll see when it shows
I also ordered the xl voilet (minus the fd mount & bosses).
Old March 15th, 2016, 12:18 AM   #31
LeeDumler

I was just at D&D Cycles today dropping a Steve Potts off for paint, and I saw one of the new Fats. It was a harlequin Aqua Fade in 650B. He also had one of the new Yo forks in Cherry Love. He also showed me pictures of some of the frames that have already been completed and shipped out. They all looked fantastic, and the decals were spot on from the originals. Seems like we should be seeing some new builds under way any day now. Can't wait.
LeeDumler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 5:20 AM   #32
Stingercut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
I was just at D&D Cycles today dropping a Steve Potts off for paint, and I saw one of the new Fats. It was a harlequin Aqua Fade in 650B. He also had one of the new Yo forks in Cherry Love. He also showed me pictures of some of the frames that have already been completed and shipped out. They all looked fantastic, and the decals were spot on from the originals. Seems like we should be seeing some new builds under way any day now. Can't wait.
Ohhh maaaan...where are the pics of the Aquafade ???
Old March 15th, 2016, 5:51 AM   #33
Scottp

I received my frame last Friday. I ordered a 29er in size XL w/ a fork and stem. Grello. It's beautiful. The fork has the teardrop gussets on the front & rear - my old 26" fork just had that on the backside of the blade. And yes, as a post earlier said that the decals are spot-on, I agree. The only one missing is the state flag - I was hoping they'd add a CA flag on the seatube like the MA flag of the early 90's or NY one from the mid 90's. Buy yeah, nice execution. The powder coat on my frame is thick. Thick means durable and I like that - but it is so thick I cannot make out the serial number on the BB shell.

My build will be completed by tomorrow - I forgot to order the King BB adaptor along w/ the rest of my parts. My build is straightforward: XT 1 x 11, King HS & BB, i9 wheels, & Thompson.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111660...posted-public/
Scottp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 9:23 AM   #34
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottp View Post
I received my frame last Friday. I ordered a 29er in size XL w/ a fork and stem. Grello. It's beautiful. The fork has the teardrop gussets on the front & rear - my old 26" fork just had that on the backside of the blade. And yes, as a post earlier said that the decals are spot-on, I agree. The only one missing is the state flag - I was hoping they'd add a CA flag on the seatube like the MA flag of the early 90's or NY one from the mid 90's. Buy yeah, nice execution. The powder coat on my frame is thick. Thick means durable and I like that - but it is so thick I cannot make out the serial number on the BB shell.

My build will be completed by tomorrow - I forgot to order the King BB adaptor along w/ the rest of my parts. My build is straightforward: XT 1 x 11, King HS & BB, i9 wheels, & Thompson.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111660...posted-public/
Looking sweet!
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #35
LeeDumler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingercut View Post
Ohhh maaaan...where are the pics of the Aquafade ???
I thought it would be rude to post any pictures of such a fantastic and unique bike before the actual owner of the bike gets to.
LeeDumler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 7:01 PM   #36
PTOWN Bikes

I have the Aqua Fade 29'er that fed ex will be putting on my porch tomorrow!!
Old April 14th, 2016, 1:08 PM   #37
DocChill

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTOWN Bikes View Post
I have the Aqua Fade 29'er...
We like to see pics of your great frame !!!
Old April 14th, 2016, 7:50 PM   #38
PTOWN Bikes

I can tease

sad there was no hang tag or owners info

color is better than my 1994 bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0058.jpg (471.8 KB, 38 views)
Old April 14th, 2016, 10:12 PM   #39
Wookie

Missed the FedEx guy today. I'll have to wait one more day!
Old April 15th, 2016, 4:24 AM   #40
Stingercut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTOWN Bikes View Post
I can tease

sad there was no hang tag or owners info

color is better than my 1994 bike
What's impressive is the perfect gradual blend Aquafade paint, just like they used to do. Most AQ repaints get it wrong and it looks xxxx.