FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old April 27th, 2005, 8:12 AM   #1
Yo Eddy!

Default How about this?....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Quote:
This is an original (1993 and previous) Team Fat Chance "Yo Eddy" Mt. Bike.
Of course you may say you like Mass. built more, but it is bogus to say that NY built are 'not original'. They look like a Yo, they feel like a Yo, are built to the same high standards.... all features Chris intended are present. Even Chris is present!

BTW also '94 FATs are Mass built.
Old April 27th, 2005, 9:54 AM   #2
mainlyfats

Default Out to lunch...

Rear derailleur hanger being held on by a hose clamp? (Mass or NY built - who cares if you can't shift?) I don't know how many of you cruise e-bay for Fats, but there have been some spectacular bikes over the last year that have sold for less than $500 - derailleur hangers attached. $1000 a couple of weeks ago would have bought you a practically new, absolutely high-zoot yet period Yo.

This guy seems out to lunch, but what do you folks think about the "collectability" factor of Fat bikes? Personally, I'm not too interested - my bikes are bikes: tools, not investiments - and while I won't do anything to screw them up on purpose, I don't really care if they don't "still have the tagger on".

Keeping frame/used bike prices low helps people who really want to restore (I think that anybody who's tried knows it's NOS or period parts that kill you, not frames) have a - pardon the pun - chance.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 5:22 AM   #3
Yo Eddy!

Yes, it is not a great offer considering its broken hanger and the price.

I also not consider my FAT as an investestment. If I did it would be a very bad business case. Mine came from Boston and to have it quick, I decided for 24h express and not to mess with description so I had to spent a lot on duties and VAT.... Nevertheless it is nice to know my FAT doesn't really deppreciate. Not that it is relevant, as I am not intending to sell it.

My Yo! is for riding. Not that I ride it really hammering it; for that I prefer to simply pick a better suited bike of the stable. This has nothing to do with the Yo frame - that is very sturdy. I would like to save the matching Judy a bit. Judy stanchions have the feature of wearing out very quickly. Also the repution of Kooka's and Zooka's is a bit questionable.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 2:29 PM   #4
lucifer

Here's how I see it when it comes to values on used fats.

Anything that totally needs a repaint should be $100-150 or less for the frame. Maybe $250 if it has a matching fat fork.

A factory new frame or a perfect restoration is worth anywhere from $300 to $600 depending on the model and color.

Complete bikes are worth anywhere from $350-1000 depending on model and build. The notable exceptions being tenths and tis and things like that.
lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 6:49 PM   #5
fattyboombatty

I feel the same way, but you get a nice looking Yo on Ebay and people will spend almost anything on them. I ended up buying one of the last Yo's built off of ebay and spent a little more than I wanted to on it. It was well worth it. However, after I bought mine I saw several sweet Somerville Yo's with matching forks go for much less than I paid for my bike as a pieced together SS. Then again, it was the first one to pop up on Ebay in 8 months or something. That might have been a factor.

Lucifer, let me know if you see any Yo's come through GA. I want another one for a daily ride. Ebay is my only source right now and you know how Ebayers are.

Cheers,
Fatty
fattyboombatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 8:42 AM   #6
scant

a big factor in FAT value will always be the paint. aqua fade for example would reach a higher price than say gloss black. I paid slightly more for my team lavender Yo, but I have only seen 1 other for sale in the 2yrs since.

there was a rusted through seattube 10th for sale on ebay (mint matching fork & king headset) made

scant
scant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 5:46 PM   #7
lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyboombatty
I feel the same way, but you get a nice looking Yo on Ebay and people will spend almost anything on them. I ended up buying one of the last Yo's built off of ebay and spent a little more than I wanted to on it. It was well worth it. However, after I bought mine I saw several sweet Somerville Yo's with matching forks go for much less than I paid for my bike as a pieced together SS. Then again, it was the first one to pop up on Ebay in 8 months or something. That might have been a factor.

Lucifer, let me know if you see any Yo's come through GA. I want another one for a daily ride. Ebay is my only source right now and you know how Ebayers are.

Cheers,
Fatty
It's a deal just pass me any monsters buck shavers or yo bettys you see...
lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 5:09 AM   #8
John
Administrator

Didn't sell funnily enough, listed again here > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7154581864 for less money (US$1300)

When he get down to nearer half that I might be interested ;-)
John is offline   Reply With Quote