FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old February 4th, 2015, 1:12 PM   #41
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator

But I hope they get a last minute bump to get things over the threshold again.
Old February 4th, 2015, 1:32 PM   #42
Stingercut

Let's not go down in history as the poor relations to Yeti and Chehalis Klein owners I'm in for only $250, looking forward to some new clothing.

Last edited by Stingercut; February 4th, 2015 at 2:07 PM.
Stingercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 8:25 AM   #43
DocChill

Checkered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingercut View Post
I'm in for only $250, looking forward to some new clothing.
...me too ! More is not possible for me at the moment... but maybe in 2016 ! I really, really hope that he'll get a last minute backer who takes a big frame frame package... it would be so sad, if this project fails . I'm sure, that everything would move better, if Chris had shown a prototype before starting the kickstarter-campaign.

Hoping the best for Fat Chance Bicycles!

Cheers,
Daniel
DocChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #44
Stingercut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocChill View Post
...me too ! More is not possible for me at the moment... but maybe in 2016 ! I really, really hope that he'll get a last minute backer who takes a big frame frame package... it would be so sad, if this project fails . I'm sure, that everything would move better, if Chris had shown a prototype before starting the kickstarter-campaign.

Hoping the best for Fat Chance Bicycles!

Cheers,
Daniel
Well said ! It must be demoralising ( not seen any new forum posts on KS) not to see more enthusiasm from his long time fans. Only $250 spend on some cool new designs is not going to break the bank. Plenty of HNW and super bright high achievers on here.

Wouldn't it be great if 30 of us drop $250 this evening, so the brand can return ? The risk is others will pull out if we don't or leave it too late !! ...and then it will die on its knees. Do some of the disillusioned on here really want to see that ?

Totally agree, Chris should NOW release some spy shots of the new frame to stimulate interest or offer a bulk supplier deal to UK/German retail chains. Two new segregated cycling super highways in London were given the nod yesterday. The modern generation no nothing about Fat Chance bikes.

Let's give them a chance

Last edited by Stingercut; February 5th, 2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old February 5th, 2015, 3:49 PM   #45
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator

It's just under $1,000 from the goal. If it were me, I would pony up a few K myself to make sure I got the other 114K.
Old February 5th, 2015, 9:07 PM   #46
Stingercut

Fess up, who is it ? Who's sticking pins in Yo Eddy ?
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #47
zonq

Hooray! It's back on.

Last edited by zonq; February 6th, 2015 at 1:49 AM.
zonq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 2:51 AM   #48
DocChill

Thumbs Up Ride fast, live slow, think FAT!

Quote:
...wouldn't it be great if 30 of us drop $250 this evening, so the brand can return ? The risk is others will pull out if we don't or leave it too late !! ...and then it will die on its knees. Do some of the disillusioned on here really want to see that...

Let's give them a chance !
Fantastic idea - let's do it !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonq View Post
Hooray! It's back on.
Partytime...!!!
Old February 6th, 2015, 2:55 AM   #49
Stingercut

Sooo close now...we need a decisive kick over the line....come on Fatcogs. Most of you need a new T shirt at least that fits, now you are carrying a spare tire or two
Old February 6th, 2015, 1:14 PM   #50
aron

Quote:
Sooo close now...we need a decisive kick over the line....come on Fatcogs. Most of you need a new T shirt at least that fits, now you are carrying a spare tire or two
Agreed. Another 2 or three frames wouldn't hurt my sleeping but wondering if some donk who is listening to the negative decides to pull out is. I know someone must have taxes somewhere they can spend. Hr block it someone. Lol
aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 1:43 PM   #51
Stingercut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
Agreed. Another 2 or three frames wouldn't hurt my sleeping but wondering if some donk who is listening to the negative decides to pull out is. I know someone must have taxes somewhere they can spend. Hr block it someone. Lol
Agreed, Jan/Feb are EXPENSIVE months Let's just buy a t shirt 'at least' each, just in case there are any more last minute pull outs. We spend more than that on a round of drinks. There must be 300 active members on here at least able to drop $50. That should do it.

Roll up Fatistas.....support this awesome brand's comeback :b eer:

Come on...aren't you curious to see what rolls out soon at the Handmade bike show ? Hell the new Fat could be the star of the show, but we might never know, if you don't blow some dough !
Old February 6th, 2015, 3:21 PM   #52
WD Pro

I have this anoying little thought ...

Have you considered that some of the hardcore old school followers don't actually want fat chance back ... ?

Amongst other things, consider :

• The chance of a flop leading to brand humiliation.
• The watering down of the brand if it hits it big time - less rarity / individuality for existing owners.
• The introduction of the modern crowd to the brand - a lot of the old school crowd like to keep themselves to themselves and go against the grain a little. Imagine a monstor, sponsor by monstor ...
• Do the retro lycra crowd really want to mix with the baggie crowd ...
• Etc, etc, etc ...

I haven't really thought about the best wording for the above, just throwing out a few ideas for disscussion on a Friday night

WD
WD Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 3:44 PM   #53
Mr Norm

Have you considered that some of the hardcore old school followers don't actually want fat chance back ... ?

I am an old school hard core follower. I want him to succeed. Purely selfish reasons: I want a FAT CHANCE FAT BIKE!!!
All kidding aside if you have ever met the man you cant help but want him to succeed.
My fingers are crossed. Wallets ready to open a little further if need be.
Good luck Chris
Mr Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 4:09 PM   #54
WD Pro

Yeah, to be clear, I hope he succeeds to

What surprised me is some of the responses from the retro crowd, a surprising amount of negativity, especially on the RetroBike thread ...

WD
Old February 6th, 2015, 6:26 PM   #55
Stingercut

I think it's a British 'thing' to enjoy tearing something apart, knocking it and then sometimes 'bigging it back up' as it returns to glory. I can only see the reemergence of the Fat Chance brand as good for residuals. The Somerville originals will ALWAYS be special. Fat may rise again and it will probably die again, maybe agonisingly, that's part of life.

Chris will produce some awesome bikes. I still don't own a modern bike or a full susser, so looking forward to what he produces.
Old February 7th, 2015, 1:23 AM   #56
zonq

The internet is the final destination of those with nothing better to do than bash everything they see. Check out Bikerumor.com. Every single new product shown is followed by a hundred screaming angry people trashing it to pump up their own egos. Go to any discussion forum like Pinkbike, MTBR or Retrobike. Same garbage. Even fan sites dedicated to a specific companies products, like MacRumors. Look up any promo video on anything you can think of that anyone ever created; product, music, film, artwork, service, anything, on youtube. Read through the comments. It's like the most screwed up people with nothing more to do all day than sh*t-talk, come to the internet to wage their own personal crusades against anything and everyone. I honestly can't imagine how anyone launches anything on the internet these days.

The best advice every Manager gives their talent used to be "don't read your press". For about a decade now, it's been "Try not to read your press, but whatever you do, do NOT read your internet comments. Ever."

Hopefully Chris understands, the internet is the sewer of public opinion and bears little resemblance to the real world. ...or better yet stays offline completely and just has someone else doing his online work who understands this.
Old February 7th, 2015, 1:58 AM   #57
zonq

The question will be what Chris does next, having met his funding goal, but with only 30 frame orders, when he was looking for what, 100 minimum & 250 ideally to justify a production run? Still have to produce those 30. ...but then does the shirt & sticker revenue mean he has the $ to produce the rest anyway? & does he take that gamble then, knowing what he knows now about what the market will really bear?

Very interesting.
Old February 7th, 2015, 3:36 AM   #58
tvcreative

i hope he succeeds. when i see a real bike I will buy. Until then I am too fat buy a t shirt, too angry to go to a party, and too old to need a sticker book
tvcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 5:43 AM   #59
Stingercut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcreative View Post
i hope he succeeds. when i see a real bike I will buy. Until then I am too fat buy a t shirt, too angry to go to a party, and too old to need a sticker book
Agree with Zonq's sentiments and you can add FB to the mix. Trash talking on every level is now fashionable. It's a sport. Maybe it's a reflection of modern life and the never ending drip feed of bad sh1t going on.

TVCreative...like your honesty
Old February 8th, 2015, 11:06 AM   #60
WD Pro

I have dipped my toe in the water for a T and some decals

I would have liked to have gone up one level, but can't at the moment due to other commitments and projects etc ...

WD
Old February 8th, 2015, 12:51 PM   #61
colker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonq View Post
The internet is the final destination of those with nothing better to do than bash everything they see. Check out Bikerumor.com. Every single new product shown is followed by a hundred screaming angry people trashing it to pump up their own egos. Go to any discussion forum like Pinkbike, MTBR or Retrobike. Same garbage. Even fan sites dedicated to a specific companies products, like MacRumors. Look up any promo video on anything you can think of that anyone ever created; product, music, film, artwork, service, anything, on youtube. Read through the comments. It's like the most screwed up people with nothing more to do all day than sh*t-talk, come to the internet to wage their own personal crusades against anything and everyone. I honestly can't imagine how anyone launches anything on the internet these days.

The best advice every Manager gives their talent used to be "don't read your press". For about a decade now, it's been "Try not to read your press, but whatever you do, do NOT read your internet comments. Ever."

Hopefully Chris understands, the internet is the sewer of public opinion and bears little resemblance to the real world. ...or better yet stays offline completely and just has someone else doing his online work who understands this.
So.. you are an authority on all matters and any criticism is garbage, sewer bearing w/ little resemblance to the real world. Really?
it's a democracy. Get used to it. There is always the option of NOT surfing the web.
Old February 8th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #62
colker

I want Chance to be build great bikes. Great bikes better my life.. even when i don't own them.
Hype otoh just creates fog and confusion.
Old February 8th, 2015, 7:13 PM   #63
Stingercut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD Pro View Post
I have dipped my toe in the water for a T and some decals

I would have liked to have gone up one level, but can't at the moment due to other commitments and projects etc ...

WD
It's great to see this project taking off for sure. Nice to be part of something Over to you Chris
Old February 9th, 2015, 3:45 AM   #64
DocChill

Thumbs Up Reinvention of Fat Chance Bicycles... Yo!

Hi FAT-Fans, cheers Chris !!!

I'm also very happy to be a small part of the reinvention of Fat Chance bicycles!

Currently I can't buy a frame but my plan is to buy one, when the first real frames come out... maybe around summer 2016. Because I'm a bit short, I would love(!) to order a 26" Yo Eddy in grello or aquafade with classic sizing in "S". Then I will create a hot singlespeeder with components by Paul.

That's my dream... !

But at first I'll wait for my stickers, shirts and the jersey !

It was nice to support Fat Chance Bicycles!

Best regards,
Daniel

P.S. - It would be so great to go to the party... but the way from Germany to California is' so far... you can buy a frame for the flight-ticket... .
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:59 AM   #65
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator

Funded! With a bit of room to spare

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-chance-frame
Old February 10th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #66
zonq

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
Funded! With a bit of room to spare

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-chance-frame
Yeah!, It was a little touch & go there for a bit, but people pulled through. Can't wait to see what the updates look like. Hopefully we get some in-process peeks.
Old February 28th, 2015, 8:56 PM   #67
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator

That there's an awfully large headtube:

http://www.fatchancebicycles.com
Old March 1st, 2015, 3:45 PM   #68
jpicard616

Cool photos! Looks like they're using hooded dropouts and going without the classic pointed stay design. The grello paint looks reeeally good!
jpicard616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 5:11 PM   #69
Bulleidawg

I'm surprised at the slacker head tube and the length of the wheelbase. Can't wait to see how these bikes handle.
Bulleidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 4:25 PM   #70
Bulleidawg

Also, did anyone notice that in the grello photo, the top of the seat tube, where it begins to intersect with the seat stays, appears to be tapered or butted? You can see it very slightly also in the photo of Chris holding the unpainted frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grello_yo.jpg (10.5 KB, 35 views)
Old March 6th, 2015, 10:28 AM   #71
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator

Lifted from facebook (and a member here).

Need to level out those saddles.... but these are looking pretty good!

Old March 6th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #72
I-ROBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleidawg View Post
Also, did anyone notice that in the grello photo, the top of the seat tube, where it begins to intersect with the seat stays, appears to be tapered or butted? You can see it very slightly also in the photo of Chris holding the unpainted frame.
The original Yo Eddy seat tubes have a welded insert at the top. Perhaps he figured out a way to have the tube drawn down at the top where the seat post will be secured.

I don't know if the NY Yo's had the welded seat tube or not

Scott
I-ROBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #73
Jeeves

I think it's only fair for them to offer a classic FAT Chance refinishing service, don't you??
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 1:01 PM   #74
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator

Who, Ventana?
Old March 6th, 2015, 1:04 PM   #75
Bulleidawg

I wonder if they have the little lug at the seat stay/seat tube junction. That's one of my favorite touches on my '94 Yo.
Old March 6th, 2015, 1:43 PM   #76
Stingercut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleidawg View Post
I wonder if they have the little lug at the seat stay/seat tube junction. That's one of my favorite touches on my '94 Yo.
Me too. Yeah retro refurb service and retro builds too I need some classic BOI segmented forks.
Old March 6th, 2015, 4:16 PM   #77
Scottp

Quote:
Me too. Yeah retro refurb service and retro builds too I need some classic BOI segmented forks.
No Pizooti gusset. Just saw the two show bikes at NAHBS & they are beautiful! So nice to see this brand back in the game!

Time moves forward & designs evolve. Imagine if Fat Chance never went away - do you think their bikes would resemble exactly what they were doing in '94 or '95? This coolest thing about this show is innovation and interplay between the frame builders & component manufactures. But yeah, domed stays and the Pizooti were a few of my favorite touches on the old bikes. They may not be on the new frames, but the bikes I saw this morning are badass.

Last edited by Scottp; March 7th, 2015 at 10:16 AM.
Scottp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 4:51 PM   #78
WD Pro

That's good to hear

WD
Old March 6th, 2015, 8:29 PM   #79
Stingercut

Pizooti gusset !!! Great name I never heard before.

I'm getting a yearning for a Penny Farthing. Am I weird ?
Old March 7th, 2015, 9:43 AM   #80
Retro Dude

Default Interesting...

“We’ve got plans for a fat bike, cyclocross bike, gravel bike and Slim Chance road bike,” Chance told us. “We’re also working with David Earlo at Sotto Group, who’s helped Yeti with some of their bikes, to develop a carbon full suspension mountain bike. No word on whether it’ll carry on the Shockabilly name.”

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/03/06/...eddy-hardtail/

Tags
2015 yo eddy frames, fat chance kickstarter