FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old September 30th, 2013, 1:20 PM   #1
SlimYoEddy

Default Need some advice / input

Hi there. New to the forum, and could use the expertise of the group.

I have a 1992 Yo Eddy bike. Bought and built up myself in 1992, and other than new wheels, brakes / pads and a new seat a few times over the course of 21 years of ownership, haven't replaced much else.

However, I think my headset is starting to go bad, feeling like there is some friction and my front brake cable, which runs through a roller hanger on my Salsa stem, is constantly getting pinched in the roller.

So, looking to replace both the headset and stem. But I have no idea what I would use to replace them. Are there parts still made that fit the bike, or should I look for older parts that will work? Any advice or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Just posted a pic of my bike in the Registry thread. Here is a closeup of the stem and headset (Shimano Deore DX) as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1 (3).jpg (150.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2 (3).JPG (387.8 KB, 21 views)
SlimYoEddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 1:39 PM   #2
tvcreative

keep the stem replace the roller. The stem is considered a classic and fetches tall cash

replace the headset with Chris King, or try to find a NOS XT on Ebay. IF you want to go cheap a Tange Levin is a good alternative.

just my two cents worth
tvcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 1:48 PM   #3
SlimYoEddy

thanks for the help. wrt the roller, is it a special part I need to find, or will any similar sized roller work?

for the headset, I assume this is a 1" threaded headset (built my bike so long ago I don't recall what it is)? If so, any particular model of chris king out there I should be looking for?
Old September 30th, 2013, 2:05 PM   #4
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimYoEddy View Post
thanks for the help. wrt the roller, is it a special part I need to find, or will any similar sized roller work?

for the headset, I assume this is a 1" threaded headset (built my bike so long ago I don't recall what it is)? If so, any particular model of chris king out there I should be looking for?
If you decide to sell the stem, please let me know....You just need a headset for a 1 inch threaded fork steerer.
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 2:55 PM   #5
chefmiguel

You may just need to replace the brake cable. Once a cable twists or kinks in a direction it keeps that odd bend and will continue to fall off the roller. Try that first and while the cable is off check the roller for cracks or chips.
chefmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 7:19 PM   #6
RobTu

Like Mig said, think overhaul before replacing. I bet the headset and stem will work fine, with some cleaning, replacing the cable, and greasing.
RobTu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 7:42 PM   #7
jpicard616

If you do decide to get a new headset, go for the Chris King 2Nut. It's probably the best threaded headset on the market.
jpicard616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #8
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
If you decide to sell the stem, please let me know....You just need a headset for a 1 inch threaded fork steerer.
Folks are probably right about starting with the brake cable. I was just answering your question regarding the size and type headset......
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 8:55 AM   #9
mainlyfats

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTu View Post
Like Mig said, think overhaul before replacing. I bet the headset and stem will work fine, with some cleaning, replacing the cable, and greasing.
+ (what?) 4 or 5? You might try running a small - 2 inches say - section of gore or nylon cable sheath over the roller too.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 2:46 PM   #10
G-Dog

McMaster-Carr has the replacement wheels for the salsa stem, Google them. You didn't say what kind of headset. But after all these years it may just need cleaning and some good grease, you can chec
the bearings at the same time.
G-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 3:25 PM   #11
SlimYoEddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dog View Post
McMaster-Carr has the replacement wheels for the salsa stem, Google them. You didn't say what kind of headset. But after all these years it may just need cleaning and some good grease, you can chec
the bearings at the same time.
It's a Shimano Deore DX. I'll check McMaster Carr, but looks like the existing roller is not easily removed since it is riveted in there. Have you done this in the past and have any tips?
Old October 1st, 2013, 4:07 PM   #12
chefmiguel

Are there grooves to it? If not, then there is no need to replace it.
chefmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 6:27 PM   #13
jonsonneborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimYoEddy View Post
It's a Shimano Deore DX. I'll check McMaster Carr, but looks like the existing roller is not easily removed since it is riveted in there. Have you done this in the past and have any tips?
Gdog (who lives out in the East Bay; Brentwood) has rebuilt a few of the Salsa roller stems including replacing the wheels & rivets if it needs it but chances are it's just the cable. If not the Cable reach out to him; he'd be glad to help.

Deore DX (although is not bad) is Sub Standard for a Fat Chance. I would shop on ebay for a Chris King 2-nut 1" headset (as others have suggested too) & you'll never have to replace it again!
Old October 3rd, 2013, 5:33 AM   #14
backtofuturetoyota

If you end up finding that you need to replace the headset, I have a spare tange you can have for free (you pay shipping!) lol.
backtofuturetoyota is offline   Reply With Quote