FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old November 28th, 2012, 5:48 PM   #1
fattiregeek

Default 90 Wicked -Ideas

I have a 18" 1990 Wicked, its been repainted, and re-equipped (all XTR 9s drive train added in 1999)

Bontrager ceramic tubeless ready wheels (I would also throw in a set of XT wheels), Raceface crank, I have a Marzzochi Bomber & an old school RockShox shock fork (had the crown replaced on the Marzzochi, you could have both crowns).

I have 2 sets of bearings for the bottom bracket (one just made this year), and I also have a Philwood spindle and bearings made to work with the frame that have NEVER been used or installed. New lockrings, pretty much everything needed to keep it in top shape

I did not place this in the 'FOR SALE' area because I really dont want to part with it.. but if it would get me half way to a new Superfly.. I just might consider it. Any ideas what the above would be worth? Or is anyone looking. Made the mistake of riding a 29er dual suspension, now I want one.

I hope it was ok to make this post in this area, but since I am not for sure selling and not for sure about anything anymore just wondering if its worth anything and if anyone would be interested in any of it.

Thanks
David
fattiregeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #2
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator

As always, pics would help.

If the drivetrain and bike are from wildly different periods, parting it out might be more $$, if more hassle (as is usually the case).
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Zamfir

As Nate mentioned pics would be the best place to start if you are looking for an estimate.

I will say the classic Fat's always sell for more when they have the original forks and period correct parts. So an early 90's XT grouppo would be preferable to a late 9 spd XTR, if you are talking resale.

As you know these are great bikes and there will always be a market for them.

Lets see that Wicked!

Last edited by Zamfir; November 29th, 2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: duh
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #4
fattiregeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
As always, pics would help.

If the drivetrain and bike are from wildly different periods, parting it out might be more $$, if more hassle (as is usually the case).
Thanks, I figured that was probably the case. I had the bike so long and really only cared about how it road. I imagine most of the value is sentimental since its not all original. Its been a great bike, but the technology has changed so much. Oh hell, its 22 years old (1 owner) I am probably guilty of 'over loving' the bike.

So more than likely its only worth is in the frame, although the components are nice they are 10 years old.

Ill post a few pics later.
Thanks
Old November 29th, 2012, 4:00 PM   #5
mattb

You can sell all of the xtr 9spd stuff on ebay. You'll definitely do better splitting it up.
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 9:34 PM   #6
fattiregeek

Love the ride, just at 44 years old, the hard tail is starting to beat me up a bit. Think Im probably gonna hang on to it and save the money I need.

Back in the day, Moab I think it was 1994
Old November 30th, 2012, 1:55 PM   #7
tvcreative

I like it, I did the same gear set up on a monster fat, but kept with a rigid fork...

why not keep it and save up your sheckles for a nice 29er?

I have a full suspension Ellsworth Evolve that is super fun on the gritty stuff, and when I feel nostalgic, I ride the old FATs on the flat prairie path around here...

Have fun on your FAT, the value to a collector is only to restore it to original status, thus parting frame, and gear. Wickeds as wonderful as they are - will fetch less than a YO (more collectable). If your back is sore, throw an old Easton Monkey Lite Riser bar on, that will get you upright.

For just tooling around, I prefer the comfortable ride of my Wickeds over my YOs.

Jim
tvcreative is offline   Reply With Quote