FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old September 10th, 2012, 3:11 PM   #1
jpicard616

Default Ringle bottle cages, good or bad?

I've been building up my 97 Yo for several months now, and just scored a great deal on two almost mint purple Ringle cages. As I was mounting them (with mild frustration) I was reminded of how much I dislike actually using these cages for what they were intended. So I thought I'd make a pro's and con's list and see if anyone has anything else to say on the matter, and if I should use them or go with something else.

Pros:
Beautifully machined part
excellent color choices
light as a feather

Cons:
they're difficult to get a perfect adjustment for whatever bottle you're using
the shape makes them a pain to mount
sharp edges tear up bottle decals (not a big deal unless it's a nice old Fat City bottle)
the little "L" shaped bottle support piece isn't attached and is easily lost

It's also come to my attention that a lot early to mid 90's restorations that I see seem to feature these cages. Is that because everyone else loves these things and I'm missing something, or are they just a cool high end part that looks good on show bikes?
jpicard616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 3:55 PM   #2
colker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard616 View Post
I've been building up my 97 Yo for several months now, and just scored a great deal on two almost mint purple Ringle cages. As I was mounting them (with mild frustration) I was reminded of how much I dislike actually using these cages for what they were intended. So I thought I'd make a pro's and con's list and see if anyone has anything else to say on the matter, and if I should use them or go with something else.

Pros:
Beautifully machined part
excellent color choices
light as a feather

Cons:
they're difficult to get a perfect adjustment for whatever bottle you're using
the shape makes them a pain to mount
sharp edges tear up bottle decals (not a big deal unless it's a nice old Fat City bottle)
the little "L" shaped bottle support piece isn't attached and is easily lost

It's also come to my attention that a lot early to mid 90's restorations that I see seem to feature these cages. Is that because everyone else loves these things and I'm missing something, or are they just a cool high end part that looks good on show bikes?
King ti or steel cages beat them 24/7
Old September 10th, 2012, 4:12 PM   #3
Jeeves

They are mainlyeye candy, IMO. They also dent easily. However, they do add a little something to an 80's bling build.

The only time I found a functional reason to use the Ringle cage was when I hung a cage mount off the back of my saddle on a bike that had no bottle mounts. Since the bottle was tilted in line with the seat rails, a normal cage couldn't hold a bottle that well and the full circle on the Ringle cage was the best thing I could find. It actually DID ruin the Fat City bottle that came with one of my bikes - back in the day, who knew that that was a bad thing? Oh well....
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 6:44 PM   #4
IF52

I like them and still use the ones I have on modern bikes. The can get mangled if you aren't careful, and they take a little bit to set up so they aren't too tight. Otherwise they actually work very well and are perfect for that 90s build.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 6:06 PM   #5
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator

I personally like them as well....but recognize the many drawbacks.

For a rider that gets frequent use I much prefer King cages or Minouras.
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #6
TeddVanB

If you get too frustrated, I'll be happy to take one off your hands.
TeddVanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 6:39 PM   #7
dan_hudson

They don't just mark bottles but destroy them if used heavily. And if used, you can forget the anno finish on the inner surfaces lasting long.

A good choice for a show piece or garage queen. Would use a more standard and/or modern cage for a daily driver. Especially given how much a Ringle cage in good condition is worth!
dan_hudson is offline   Reply With Quote