FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old July 27th, 2012, 3:48 PM   #1
Rick Draper

Default Prototype Shock a Billy

Here are a few photos of a Prototype Shock a Billy I bought a while back. It was ridden by Casey Kunselman in the 1994 Downhill World Championships in Vail Colorado. I have had this confirmed by the man himself. It was on of around 6 I believe built while Chris was looking at various designs to replace the flexible alloy AMP rear triangle before settling on the rocker linkage design:

Its also decaled up as a Shock a Bill?:
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 4:34 PM   #2
AB

Nice bike !
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #3
nader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post

nice SB ..but somehow I like the 4 different colors not quite!
nader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 4:45 AM   #4
Rick Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nader View Post
nice SB ..but somehow I like the 4 different colors not quite!
As it stands in the pictures its pretty much how Casey rode it BITD so its a difficult decision to make as to if I should stick original or do my own thing.

The forks I can have painted easily enough, I can also when the shock is back at Risse see if they can anodize it a different colour.

I also have a load more 3DV bits to go onto it so all the silver will be gone soon, I just wanted to complete the initial build as I was having some huge issues with the front shifting.
Old July 31st, 2012, 6:54 AM   #5
IF52

Based on Earl Bob's bike Proto #2, and his other team bikes when he was Fat's primary sponsored rider, it probably would have had Turquoise anno bits like the stem in the first picture, not 3DV.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 8:13 AM   #6
Rick Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
Based on Earl Bob's bike Proto #2, and his other team bikes when he was Fat's primary sponsored rider, it probably would have had Turquoise anno bits like the stem in the first picture, not 3DV.
O well as the turquoise looks awful with the team violet it will be sticking with 3DV.

It was originally fitted with rock shox MAG21lt's which were later replaced with rock shox diablo prototype forks which later became the Judy Downhills's that were bought with the frame when Casey sold it in 1995.

Last edited by Rick Draper; July 31st, 2012 at 8:29 AM.
Old July 31st, 2012, 12:29 PM   #7
IF52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
O well as the turquoise looks awful with the team violet it will be sticking with 3DV.

It was originally fitted with rock shox MAG21lt's which were later replaced with rock shox diablo prototype forks which later became the Judy Downhills's that were bought with the frame when Casey sold it in 1995.
Yep, that's what I recal as well. Here is what Earl had to say about the spec for his an Casey's bikes:

"rockshox mag 21, blue Ringle, cages, super bubba, seatpost, stem, mojo's, black king headset, TWP fork brace, XTR shifters, brakes, I still ran Grafton brakes, Grafton cranks even though they broke a few times, onza tires,
Kunselman ran xtr cranks and brakes."

I actually like the look of the blue anno stuff on the team violet frames. The 3DV stuff is just too much purple on there. And it looks like poop as it fades.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #8
fattyboombatty

That is a sweet bike! How do these older Billys ride? I have always wanted one, but they aren't exactly around to try one out?
fattyboombatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Rick Draper

Just dug this out of the garage as its going to be sorted very shortly.

I have stripped the rear triangle off it as I am having that refinished. The main frame is in quite nice condition but the rear triangle has bad patina. I have managed to remove all the DU bushes from the triangle so its good to go now.

Decided I will try to hunt down some turquoise parts to replace the 3DV. It might take a while though!