FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old July 5th, 2012, 2:58 PM   #1
ohmygato

Tire What is this thing? ID help please.

Hello,

I recently purchased a Fat Chance frame on Ebay. Owner believes it is an original but it looks to me like it might be a Wicked based on the brake stays.

Please let me know what you think. I also could use some help specifying an appropriate component set based on historical information. If anyone has an '87 spec list that would help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=it em3f194d88cf&item=271007451343&nma=true&pt=Mountai n_Bikes&rt=nc&si=4GoDRif4j8LRzEOCds3ytz6ocFw%253D& orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thank You,
Dan
ohmygato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 3:24 PM   #2
colker

drop outs will determine what is it. nice bike and nice price.
Old July 5th, 2012, 6:33 PM   #3
jonsonneborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased a Fat Chance frame on Ebay. Owner believes it is an original but it looks to me like it might be a Wicked based on the brake stays.

Please let me know what you think. I also could use some help specifying an appropriate component set based on historical information. If anyone has an '87 spec list that would help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=it em3f194d88cf&item=271007451343&nma=true&pt=Mountai n_Bikes&rt=nc&si=4GoDRif4j8LRzEOCds3ytz6ocFw%253D& orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thank You,
Dan
Hey Dan,

Pretty sure it's not a Team Comp as the TC's had the GW Wilson Stainless dropouts & with no rack braze-ons. A Wicked is a good guess; I've owned a couple of '87 kicker frames and they have all had u-brakes mounted to the bottom of the chain stays. Is there a "w" in the serial number? In '87 everything was 6-speed (18 total). I would look for an older Deore or Deore XT group with 6-speed shifters, etc.

I was just in Santa Cruz this past weekend riding around Seabright with my '98 Fat! Enjoy.

Jon
Old July 5th, 2012, 7:18 PM   #4
ohmygato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsonneborn View Post
Hey Dan,

Pretty sure it's not a Team Comp as the TC's had the GW Wilson Stainless dropouts & with no rack braze-ons. A Wicked is a good guess; I've owned a couple of '87 kicker frames and they have all had u-brakes mounted to the bottom of the chain stays. Is there a "w" in the serial number? In '87 everything was 6-speed (18 total). I would look for an older Deore or Deore XT group with 6-speed shifters, etc.

I was just in Santa Cruz this past weekend riding around Seabright with my '98 Fat! Enjoy.

Jon
Jon,

Thanks for your reply.

What is a "kicker" frame? Is that the same as an "original"? What is the commonly used terminology for them anyway?

Unfortunately all I can make out on the S/N is 87__1 and I don't think this gives me any more information.

Is it safe to say that all '87 Originals/Kickers had a u-brake and all Wickeds had a standard canti? If so, is it safe to say this is a Wicked?

I may be building this up with new parts considering I have been having a hard time finding a complete group.

-Dan
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #5
ohmygato

Default Wicked I think

Hello,

I examined the S/N closer and I can read it: 87431. I think it probably is a Wicked based on the brake configuration and the S/N. Any other opinions?

-Dan