FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old January 27th, 2012, 1:40 PM   #1
fathead

Default Replacement Options for Wicked Bottom Bracket

Greetings,

I'm interested in feedback on any/all options and personal experience with having replaced the original pressed in BBs [w/White Industries Cranks/Eno Hub]. Also confirmation on the specs for ordering the right configurations. It appears to be a 68 shell and 47.5 offset for the chain line but i haven't taken off the crank to measure the spindle. Phil Wood seems to have workable options ...

'You can run one of our BB with the White industries cranks. You will half to measure your length of spindle you have ether a 113mm or 121mm spindle.

Phil BB is $119.00 for a 113mm length
Phil BB cup set stainless $37.50
Phil BB Tool $15.00 each, may require two tools for easy installation'

Many thanks,

-Tom
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #2
mainlyfats

That doesn't make sense. Phil tools and cups are for threaded BBs, so you need to look at the press-fit (for Merlin, etc.) section. Or call them and tell them what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
Greetings,

I'm interested in feedback on any/all options and personal experience with having replaced the original pressed in BBs [w/White Industries Cranks/Eno Hub]. Also confirmation on the specs for ordering the right configurations. It appears to be a 68 shell and 47.5 offset for the chain line but i haven't taken off the crank to measure the spindle. Phil Wood seems to have workable options ...

'You can run one of our BB with the White industries cranks. You will half to measure your length of spindle you have ether a 113mm or 121mm spindle.

Phil BB is $119.00 for a 113mm length
Phil BB cup set stainless $37.50
Phil BB Tool $15.00 each, may require two tools for easy installation'

Many thanks,

-Tom
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #3
fathead

I was under the impression that Phil had a replacement alternative [not pressed in] that was an acceptable workaround ... I'd like to be free from having to replace the fragile lock rings that seem to inevitably fail and need to be tracked down and replaced.

I'll double check with Phil.

Thanks!

-Tom
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 1:27 PM   #4
IF52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
I was under the impression that Phil had a replacement alternative [not pressed in] that was an acceptable workaround ... I'd like to be free from having to replace the fragile lock rings that seem to inevitably fail and need to be tracked down and replaced.

I'll double check with Phil.

Thanks!

-Tom
A work around back in the day was to get a Mavic bottom bracket and have the BB shell chamfered with the correct Mavic tool. A coworker at the shop I used to work at had done that to his very early Yo Eddy. Very hard to find the now vintage Mavic BBs and a shop with the tools still though.

Actually Mainlyfats sold me a Team fat that had a Mavic BB and it seemed to work fine the little I rode the bike.

A more modern alternative today may be a BB that Velo Orange offers that uses the same principal, but doesn't require the chamfer to be cut.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...-brackets.html

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 8:42 PM   #5
rick

Default Wicked BB

I have been running a White Brothers BB on an 89 Wicked for about 20 years. Never had a problem, have just replaced the bearings one time
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 7:03 PM   #6
mainlyfats

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
A work around back in the day was to get a Mavic bottom bracket and have the BB shell chamfered with the correct Mavic tool. A coworker at the shop I used to work at had done that to his very early Yo Eddy. Very hard to find the now vintage Mavic BBs and a shop with the tools still though.

Actually Mainlyfats sold me a Team fat that had a Mavic BB and it seemed to work fine the little I rode the bike.

A more modern alternative today may be a BB that Velo Orange offers that uses the same principal, but doesn't require the chamfer to be cut.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...-brackets.html
Confirmed by Tom at VO as not working in press-in Fats.

"Quickly, the VO BB won't work for various reasons (too narrow BB width, too small an ID). Go with the Phil spindle and bearings." - from a PM.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 9:05 PM   #7
rody

Tom,

If the issue is the locking collars, I remanufactured these years ago with a new pinch collar design that is MUCH more efficient and durable. No need to search endlessly, here they are...

http://groovycycleworks.com/fatproducts.aspx

These work with the original spindle only, the Phil spindle is a larger diameter and not compatible.

cheers,

rody
Old March 26th, 2012, 2:44 PM   #8
Bssc

If any one in NE needs their BB reamed for Mavic I have the tool, in a time log ago I was one of the instructors for Mavic Tec

BTW this is not my preferred measure for replacement BB's the shell is so thing there is little to support the BB

Last edited by Bssc; March 29th, 2012 at 6:26 PM. Reason: forgot
Bssc is offline   Reply With Quote