FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2011, 9:47 AM   #1
High Gear
Member
 
Join Date: October 3rd, 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 40
Default Is this a fake FC fork?

I say this because of the hole at the bottom of the steerer tube.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fat-Chance-F...item2a1781f403
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #2
jonsonneborn
Senior Member
 
jonsonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: November 17th, 2009
Location: San Rafael, Ca
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
I say this because of the hole at the bottom of the steerer tube.

I don't think that the FC Forks did have that vent hole at least that i've seen. It looks exaclty like an inexpensive Tange Fork that I have.
__________________
'87 Kicker, '88 Wicked, '89 Team Comp, '89 Wicked, '90 Yo Eddy, '92 Monster, '94 Yo Eddy,'97 Yo Betty, '97 Chris Chance Road Bike '99 Yo Eddy
jonsonneborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #3
I-ROBOT
Senior Member
 
I-ROBOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 7th, 2007
Location: Hudson, MA
Posts: 373
Default

I would be able to tell more easily if I could see the brake mounts up close. We did occasionally drill the steerer tube for a fender mount. That would not automatically disqualify it as a Fat fork but we did not put any permanent type of Fat City identifier into the metal on any fork so its kind of a crap shoot on unicrowns. One thing I know for sure is that we never put vent holes in the fork blades. If we ever did for some reason, the holes would be filled with silver braze material and sanded smooth, so that is one way to tell. The fork in the ad does not appear to have holes in the blades.
Of course, let the buyer beware!!
Good Luck
Scott
I-ROBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #4
I-ROBOT
Senior Member
 
I-ROBOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 7th, 2007
Location: Hudson, MA
Posts: 373
Default

OK so I looked again at the photos in the ad and it looks like there maybe a small hole on the inside of the right side blade just above the dropout. Hard to tell if it's a small dent or a hole. Also the brake mount on the left blade looks like it may be splayed out some too. We always carefully aligned our brake mounts so they were parallel to each other and square to the wheel for optimum brake performance.

I ran downstairs and checked the uni on my own 18" Wicked and I have a fender mount on the steerer tube but it is on the backside of the fork and not the front like the one in the ad.

Decide for yourselves!!
Scott
I-ROBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Retro Dude
Senior Member
 
Retro Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5th, 2011
Location: Clay
Posts: 412
Default

Just got this reply from seller:

"This came off a small early wicked/1st gen Monster. Not suspension corrected. Thanks."
__________________
inFATuated
Retro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #6
High Gear
Member
 
Join Date: October 3rd, 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 40
Default Well, he has this up on ebay too.

I still think it may have been a fork stuck with a real frame.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fat-Chance-H...item2a17826fc3

Last edited by High Gear; December 27th, 2011 at 3:19 PM.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #7
High Gear
Member
 
Join Date: October 3rd, 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-ROBOT View Post
I would be able to tell more easily if I could see the brake mounts up close. We did occasionally drill the steerer tube for a fender mount. That would not automatically disqualify it as a Fat fork but we did not put any permanent type of Fat City identifier into the metal on any fork so its kind of a crap shoot on unicrowns. One thing I know for sure is that we never put vent holes in the fork blades. If we ever did for some reason, the holes would be filled with silver braze material and sanded smooth, so that is one way to tell. The fork in the ad does not appear to have holes in the blades.
Of course, let the buyer beware!!
Good Luck
Scott

Scott, good thing to know about the vent holes.

Thanks
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 2:53 PM   #8
tvcreative
Senior Member
 
tvcreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: March 15th, 2010
Location: Naperville IL
Posts: 716
Default

I am pretty sure this is the same guy that sold a black monster on ebay recently for big bucks, I think I bought a 26.4 syncros post from him...i really don't think you have anything to worry about...
tvcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 3:12 PM   #9
hairstream
New Member
 
Join Date: April 28th, 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8
Default

It's me. It came off small early wicked/monster frame I got a few years ago. I took it down since there were questions being asked. I have a lot of bikes that I've built (Hairstream) been active and a contributor for several years on all the known and "unknown" forums for years. Not so much here, because I'm really a Yeti guy. I'm just getting rid of a couple boxes of stuff that has built up. I always try to put proper descriptions and photos of my stuff. I've had 1 negative in my 807 transactions, and that was from a guy in Canada for a Thermarest that took "too long" to get through customs, and I got blamed. And, most importantly I try to put a realistic starting price. Sorry if anyone is sore with me. And I hope that I am continued to be welcome around here. Thanks.

Luke
hairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 6:16 PM   #10
Retro Dude
Senior Member
 
Retro Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5th, 2011
Location: Clay
Posts: 412
Default

Hairstream - That's a beautiful fork, it just didn't look like it came off a Fat, I'd jump on it if the steerer were 1/2 longer.

You have some awesome parts listed, keep them coming!
__________________
inFATuated
Retro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 6:44 PM   #11
AB
Senior Member
 
AB's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 15th, 2005
Location: DE
Posts: 278
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairstream View Post
It's me. It came off small early wicked/monster frame I got a few years ago. I took it down since there were questions being asked. I have a lot of bikes that I've built (Hairstream) been active and a contributor for several years on all the known and "unknown" forums for years. Not so much here, because I'm really a Yeti guy. I'm just getting rid of a couple boxes of stuff that has built up. I always try to put proper descriptions and photos of my stuff. I've had 1 negative in my 807 transactions, and that was from a guy in Canada for a Thermarest that took "too long" to get through customs, and I got blamed. And, most importantly I try to put a realistic starting price. Sorry if anyone is sore with me. And I hope that I am continued to be welcome around here. Thanks.

Luke

No worries - nice to see the vintage stuff. Not everyone is or needs to be an expert here.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 7:17 PM   #12
hairstream
New Member
 
Join Date: April 28th, 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8
Default

Thanks.
hairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 9:19 PM   #13
rick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 16th, 2004
Location: north carolina
Posts: 347
Default mounting holes on forks?

just checked a bunch of bikes in the garage and the results pretty much match what Scott said; most forks do not have the mounting holes, but a few do.
I just mounted fenders on my commuting bike (87 FC) and unfortunately this is one of the bikes without mounting holes so I had to improvise. Oh well...
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #14
AB
Senior Member
 
AB's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 15th, 2005
Location: DE
Posts: 278
Default vent holes

I have a 86 Fat and the fork does have vent holes on the inside of the legs and i have no reason to believe the fork is not original.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.