FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old November 10th, 2011, 9:48 AM   #1
babbidge

Default 1990 Fat Chance?

Hi – I am new to the forum and am enjoying reading everyone’s posts. To make a long story short (hopefully), I purchased a Fat Chance bike in the early 90’s from a private party and have since been reunited with the bike after digging it out from my friend’s basement! I am trying to identify the model but so far, I cannot locate a serial number and was wondering if someone could offer suggestions. From what I can tell, it is a 1990 Fat Chance in lime green with yellow decals (photo attached). Thanks! -Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC1.jpg (89.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg FC2.jpg (88.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg FC3.jpg (83.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg FC4.jpg (89.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg FC5.jpg (78.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg FC6.jpg (80.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg FC7.jpg (73.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg FC8.jpg (62.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by babbidge; November 10th, 2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: garbage characters
babbidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 9:53 AM   #2
jonsonneborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbidge View Post
[FONT=Calibri]Hi – I am new to the forum and am enjoying reading everyone’s posts. To make a long story short (hopefully), I purchased a Fat Chance bike in the early 90’s from a private party and have since been reunited with the bike after digging it out from my friend’s basement! I am trying to identify the model but so far, I cannot locate a serial number and was wondering if someone could offer suggestions. From what I can tell, it is a 1990 Fat Chance in lime green with yellow decals (photo attached). Thanks! -Dan[/FONT]
That's my old bike!!! It's an '87 Fat Chance. It used to have a Tange Switchblade fork. I sold the bike back in 1993 to a guy in Greenwich who had a Porsche 944 with a roof rack on it. The paint is not original. It was originally blue. It was sent back to Fat City Cycles Paint Shop in 1989 for the green re-paint. I installed that rock ring thing on the crank. I beleive it had a Mavic 1" Headset if I am not mistaken. So good to see my old bike again. Check the serial number. "87" should be in the number meaning the year. Cheers, Jon
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #3
babbidge

This is crazy! I am the guy who used to live in Greenwich and had the 944. Thank you SO much for the information. All I could remember was buying it from the Bargain News. I am looking the restore the bike and get her back on the road but wanted to learn more about it first. Thanks again; I may have some more questions for you if you don't mind!

Last edited by babbidge; November 10th, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #4
theredchili

+1 , has a U brake, which dates it earlier than 1990, cool history on Fat Cogs a ever
theredchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #5
babbidge

Thanks for the info, theredchili!
Hi Jon – did the bike look something similar (color-wise) to the attached photo of an ’87 Fat Chance?
Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fat24Side.JPG (163.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by babbidge; November 10th, 2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: garbage characters
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #6
chainline

[QUOTE=babbidge;16543]Thanks for the info, theredchili!
[SIZE=3]Hi Jon
chainline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #7
jonsonneborn

[QUOTE=babbidge;16543]Thanks for the info, theredchili!
[SIZE=3]Hi Jon
Old November 10th, 2011, 1:39 PM   #8
babbidge

Thanks, Jon! I greatly appreciate the background of the bike; you have a fantastic memory! You have amassed quite an impressive collection in a 3 year span! The Fat Chance outlived the red 944 and I am certainly looking forward to the restoration process. I wasn
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #9
jonsonneborn

[QUOTE=babbidge;16547]I would like to change the Fat Chance to a single speed as well.

Once I strip the Fat
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Zamfir

Great story!

It is really nice to hear how these bikes are generally held unto and cherished.

I plan to keep and ride my FC indefinitely!
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 3:00 PM   #11
babbidge

Yeah - great story right, Zamfir? I'll be sure to take better care of the bike this round!

Hi Jon - thanks again; I greatly appreciate all of the valuable info and advice! Like you said, it will be tough to try to match the original colors used but I certainly like some of the colors you chose for yours (power blue, green/yellow fade, etc.).

I just purchased decals from eBay but depending on what they look like when they arrive, I might be reaching out to Gil in the near future! I'll be sure to post my progress. If you would like any of the old parts from the frame (all original except the fork), please let me know and I'll be glad to send them to you (although most are in very rough shape).

Thanks again for all of your time and help!

Dan
Old November 11th, 2011, 3:01 PM   #12
babbidge

Oh, the serial number is 87874