FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old November 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #1
pkvandeusen

Default Single-speed or not

Hi all, I am debating on building up my 92 Yo Team as a single speed. But wanted to see if there were any technical issues that might become problematic with a conversion. The drive-train is a work in progress so far, all I have is a set of ano-purple kooka kranks, without a bottom bracket. I will be purchasing a set of Phil Wood hubs too, I know they make some single speed specific stuff, any suggestions on what to watchout for? What to do and not to do, thanks.
pkvandeusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Kirk Pacenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkvandeusen View Post
Hi all, I am debating on building up my 92 Yo Team as a single speed. But wanted to see if there were any technical issues that might become problematic with a conversion. The drive-train is a work in progress so far, all I have is a set of ano-purple kooka kranks, without a bottom bracket. I will be purchasing a set of Phil Wood hubs too, I know they make some single speed specific stuff, any suggestions on what to watchout for? What to do and not to do, thanks.
You'll just need to run a chain tensioner... Soul Craft makes the best one imo.

Or you can run White Industries "ENO" eccentric rear hub to tension the chain.

Other than that, you just need to dial in the chain-line with the right BB spindle length.
Sometimes running the chain ring in the middle position helps get it in the right spot...

Cheers, KP
Old November 5th, 2011, 5:42 PM   #3
theredchili

Do it ! , i love my Wicked single speed ,as mentioned get a tensioner, i used spacers on the rear and it works a treat, debating another single speed build in the future as I enjoy the ride so much
theredchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 7:45 PM   #4
rick

Default single speeds

I am running a Yo and a Wicked as SS using tensioners. I have not tried one from Soulcraft but would like to do so. The best one that I have is from Paul Components
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 4:21 PM   #5
smittylube

I personally love the look of a SS in its simplicity.
I would base it on where you ride- are you shifting alot?
With a SS you don't have to think at all about the shift- but more anticipating the hill ahead.

I recently moved and my local trails are super tight twisty single track a little up and down here and there. the climb can be hard in spots, but doable in others. I went full rigid SS and love it. The acceleration is instant when needed, the steering is the same as you expect from a Fat.. Win Win............................................... .............. And you can always go back if it isn't working for you.

JMO- YMMV.
smittylube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #6
WVEddy

You could also run a 1x drivetrain. Less shifting and clutter, buT still some gears if you ride hills. I run a 1x10 with a 34t single upfront and I love it. I setup both of my mountain bikes this way.