how much ate your fat ?

forest warrior

we all know that fat's are simply the best bikes to ride 8)
-but are they durable too ?

how many km/miles u ve done with your holy seat ?

got my yo in spring '96 since there i ve done near 40'000km with it. all rigid, the frame is still very good, though i crashed a fork once :( ( there s still a reminder on my forehead... )

i ve used it for everything; daily use, cc (-races ) n also touring.

let s search the most vintage of the vintage :p

forest warrior

it has nothing to do with win or loose...

i m just interested in how many km a fat can take.
many merlin can easily take over 100'000 km, the same goes for trek-carbon-bikes ( i didn t belive, but i know one which done 100'000km with it s trek in 6 years... and it still is in good shape ).

are u ppl really "using" your fat, one of the greatest rides, just to stare at it ?

when i bought my yo in '95 or smt, i didn t thought that someday it will be the bike of the bikes ;) , so i went out and used it. i guess that this was the idea of chris chance behind his bikes, to ride them and have fun...

Yo Eddy!

1,000,000M

If people can cover 100,000km on a Merlin or a Trek, a Yo! will do 1,000,000miles - easily! :lol:

I think a lot has to do in the way you use your bike; on road or jumping? How heavy and strong you are. It also has to do with whether or not you treath it carefully. I am particularly pointing at the rust issue then. Finally: You need to have luck. :wink:

If the parameters are a bit favourable, I sincerally believe a Yo! can indeed cover 1,000,000 miles :shock:

You see I have a lot of faith in the Yo!, but I think all FAT's can be considered durable. Nevertheless, I am now left with a question: Can the Yo! be considered as the most hardcore-proof FAT? Or bogus?

forest warrior

no doubt the weight of the rider, style of riding ( jumping, pedaling-frequency, good or bad weather,... ) effects the lifespan remarkably...

why should the yo be the "hardcore-fat" ? -i guess the tifat should be as least as durable...

...still interested how much your fat done already :)

Yo Eddy!

Well, I can't provide you the answer, but...

...I am not immediately convinced on the Ti is thougher than Yo! issue. Maybe it is in theory, but in practice? I think luck will be required. Ti is much more difficult to work with.

I was wondering, because I broke quite a lot stuff when I was young. :wink:

scant

as a young stupid & recklass youth I broke a 93 fat chance ti. tiny crack in the downtube near the bottom bracket shell. 5yrs of step gap jumps, massive flat landings from double jumps & general abuse in my formative years where taking off was easy, took a while to learn the landings..

day I noticed that crack... 1 of top 5 worst days of my life..
99 fat ti replacement still going strong tho :D

forest warrior

if ti is welded well, it should hold longer than a steel frame, even if the tensile-strength isn t as good, but ti got the ability to "cure" over time ( a litte bit ), a point where steel ( rust ) n alu/composites ( gets worsen even if u just look at it... ) can t keep up.

means that ti is the perfect material for a cc-rider...if u don t look that it flexes more than steel, but in case of durability, it should...ride on ;)

edit:
...landing on both wheels at the same time is bad indeed...poor ti...

one of my "worst 5 days" was when i broke my yo-fork...

scant

I dont think it was the landing on both wheels, I think it was the 6ft drop before it ;D

I always found my fat ti to be pretty stiff in the drivetrain, esp compared to some other high end ti hardtails.

Karl

Just a couple of notes, Back when I kept count I put about 2000 miles a year on my Yo, that was 94 or so. My son took up trials and urban riding on my Wicked untill he started breaking axles (big drops). These are still going strong and show no signs of stopping. I do remember an article back in the mid-nineties that there was a guy who rode his Wicked around the world, literally. I remember telling Wendyl about it and she was aware of it. No matter how you cut it they are GREAT bikes and a true testimate to the people who crafted them.