FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM   #1
ChiefBroom

Default Suspension fork question

Is it possible to convert a Judy SL fork with a 1 1/8" steerer to 1" by swapping out the crown or somehow fitting it with a 1" steerer?
ChiefBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 1:10 PM   #2
IF52

As long as the SL is one with a removable crown/steerer then yes. The later forks had press fit crown/steerer/upper legs, in which case you would have to swap out the whole upper unit for something more appropriate.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 5:24 PM   #3
ChiefBroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
As long as the SL is one with a removable crown/steerer then yes. The later forks had press fit crown/steerer/upper legs, in which case you would have to swap out the whole upper unit for something more appropriate.
Maybe a stupid question, but is there a good way to distinguish based on external inspection? Best if I could tell the difference from a photograph (e.g., on eBay).

I'm guessing it would be easier to swap out a whole crown/steerer assembly than try to make a 1 1/8" crown work with a 1" headset (e.g., reduce the diameter of the steerer above the crown). I know a guy who can machine just about anything that is machinable. I doubt, however, that it would be a good idea to try to reduce a 1 1/8" steerer to 1". I weigh 145 lbs. and and not doing gonzo stuff at 57. But I also don't want to worry about a steering snapping if I hit a rock or catch a hard landing.

What's the wall thickness of the steerer on a 1 1/8" Judy SL?

Last edited by ChiefBroom; July 2nd, 2011 at 7:45 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 5:29 PM   #4
ChiefBroom

The Owner's Manual I have for the Judy SL I bought sometime between '96-'98 (possibly'99), includes exploded assembly drawings that show threaded steerer tubes on the XC and DH and threadless on the SL. Is that just random -- i.e., were all models available either way? Or are/were all SL's threadless? Or maybe it was a drawing error.

Last edited by ChiefBroom; July 2nd, 2011 at 7:47 PM.