FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Reader's Rides Gallery

Reader's Rides Gallery Show us your Fat. Keep your clothes on, though.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2011, 3:26 AM   #1
kingroon
Member
 
kingroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 24th, 2006
Location: West One Four
Posts: 47
Default 1995 Independent FAT

I got this waiting for me at a mate's house in Lowell, MA.. One of the first IFs built, and technically every bit a FAT.. Serial # is IF 153 18 D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (68.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (62.5 KB, 72 views)
__________________
Hasta Luego..
KingRoon
kingroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 6:21 AM   #2
IF52
Senior Member
 
IF52's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 1st, 2006
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 414
Default

Team frame. Stonyfield Farm was a title sponsor. My friend Earl had one of those when he moved from riding for Fat's team over to IF's. I think Gretchen Reeves raced for IF at that time as well.
__________________
M.O.M.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #3
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator
 
yo-Nate-y's Avatar
 
Join Date: March 12th, 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 809
Default

Cool frame
yo-Nate-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 4:29 PM   #4
IF52
Senior Member
 
IF52's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 1st, 2006
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 414
Default

Definitely.

The earliest ones, like my old one, had Ritchey dropuots where the later early ones from 95/96 had Paragon. All the early ones had True Temper tubes, and the lore at the time was that they were built from tubes that were left behind when Fat moved to NY, though I suspect if there is any truth to that it is more likely that it was an order for tubes that Fat backed out of and young IF decided to purchase. The IF boys were really sensitive to comparisons to the Yo. I remember Elmo getting pretty worked up about it when some of us at the shop were making direct comparison. He made sure to point out the differences, like no domes stay ends and downtube cable routing.

Also I think, though I am not 100% sure that the early frames were straight gauge and not butted tubes.
__________________
M.O.M.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 8:33 AM   #5
colker
Senior Member
 
colker's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 1st, 2006
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 1,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
Definitely.

The earliest ones, like my old one, had Ritchey dropuots where the later early ones from 95/96 had Paragon. All the early ones had True Temper tubes, and the lore at the time was that they were built from tubes that were left behind when Fat moved to NY, though I suspect if there is any truth to that it is more likely that it was an order for tubes that Fat backed out of and young IF decided to purchase. The IF boys were really sensitive to comparisons to the Yo. I remember Elmo getting pretty worked up about it when some of us at the shop were making direct comparison. He made sure to point out the differences, like no domes stay ends and downtube cable routing.

Also I think, though I am not 100% sure that the early frames were straight gauge and not butted tubes.
geometry was the same wasn't it? I suppose handling and stiffness were the same.
__________________
wanted: ride time.
colker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 9:59 AM   #6
IF52
Senior Member
 
IF52's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 1st, 2006
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
geometry was the same wasn't it? I suppose handling and stiffness were the same.
Yeah I think they were identical
__________________
M.O.M.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #7
StarTREK
Member
 
StarTREK's Avatar
 
Join Date: August 1st, 2008
Location: Toledo
Posts: 52
Default

Attention, this topic promised.

He dicho
ein?
__________________
Team Fat Chance
StarTREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 4:26 AM   #8
kingroon
Member
 
kingroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 24th, 2006
Location: West One Four
Posts: 47
Default

Cheers for the replies Amigos, and thanks for the provenance IF52

After much thought, it's going to stay as is; not sure I wanna redo the paint.. Maybe some touching up to cover the bare metal, but it kinda deserves to be rebuilt and hammered

Found an article on IFRider.. http://www.ifrider.com/back-in-the-day/
__________________
Hasta Luego..
KingRoon
kingroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 1:15 PM   #9
gump
New Member
 
Join Date: November 4th, 2005
Location: Bicester, England
Posts: 10
Default

Good move Matt, keep it looking original!

Look forward to seeing this built
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #10
AB
Senior Member
 
AB's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 15th, 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 308
Default

Customers could also order this paint scheme - a friend of mine has one and was not on the IF team.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 3:14 PM   #11
IF52
Senior Member
 
IF52's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 1st, 2006
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB View Post
Customers could also order this paint scheme - a friend of mine has one and was not on the IF team.
Yeah, I meant to say team paint, not team frame. Kind of like team violet was available to anybody who wanted it, and on any frame you wanted it on.
__________________
M.O.M.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 3:07 AM   #12
kingroon
Member
 
kingroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 24th, 2006
Location: West One Four
Posts: 47
Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
Yeah, I meant to say team paint, not team frame. Kind of like team violet was available to anybody who wanted it, and on any frame you wanted it on.
It's a special frame either way

Got a Parts Bin stacked with Trickno' for this build.. Because of the Monotone paint [apart from the Udders ] I'm gunna hang some colour off of this Rig.. Got some Rasta PAULs kit, Red, Green & Black Ringle, Gold Chris King.. Looking for a nice set of Umma Gummas

Forks are an issue tho.. Finding some suspension corrected Yo/BOIs is near impossible.. Might have to go with Judy SLs but I'd like to find something a bit different..
__________________
Hasta Luego..
KingRoon
kingroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 3:11 AM   #13
kingroon
Member
 
kingroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 24th, 2006
Location: West One Four
Posts: 47
Default

FYI Here is a '99 IF I built up last year..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/...98eafe_b_d.jpg



__________________
Hasta Luego..
KingRoon
kingroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #14
IF52
Senior Member
 
IF52's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 1st, 2006
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingroon View Post
It's a special frame either way
Oh, heck yeah it is. I almost bought the one on IfRider a few years back, but something about the ebay auction made me have second thought. Really wish I had bought it now, would have fit my wife quite nicely. The frame size, not the cow theme.
__________________
M.O.M.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.