FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old February 7th, 2011, 1:50 PM   #1
mr.trout

Default Press fit and q factor

hi, I have an 87 team comp with original cook bros cranks and i am trying to lower the q factor which is at about 175 on the original spindle. i have enough clearance from the chain stays to knock off about 17mm. i was reading that people have successfully run phil wood set ups without collars, which i would like to do. phil wood won't give me any feedback as to whether or not it will work.
i guess i am asking if anyone knows of any way i could run a 111mm spindle on this bike, or even if there are any press fit out board bearing options and i could just switch to a modern crankest.
thanks.
mr.trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 4:45 PM   #2
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator

Velo Orange has a BB that doesn't require threads that might work for you if wanted to go modern.

If it is too terribly frustrating, please send the Team Comp to me, and I will carry the burden of a wide q factor for you!
yo-Nate-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 7:00 AM   #3
dftuttle

I put this Phil Wood outboard bearing BB, BBCGI, on my Monster, but I had to make some spacers to make it wide enough for a RaceFace Evolve crank. It's made for a 73mm wide BB shell. I just finished putting it together, so I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. I'll post a picture as soon as I take some.
dftuttle is offline   Reply With Quote