FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old December 28th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #1
jonsonneborn

Default Finally built up my Medium Yo!

This is a 1990 Yo Eddy Medium which I bought off Craigslist with a White Industries Bottom Bracket and a 300mm unknown seatpost (no fork). Technically the frame is too small for me (I am 6' 1") but I thought I would build it up to see how rideable it is for me. Even though it's about 2" shorter than my 21" Paramount, the Top Tube is only about 1" shorter!

If I decide to keep it I will probably have it powder coated in a color close to an original Era Fat Color.

I found a Judy 1" steerer tube and had a nice old Judy XC with an England Air Cartridge Kit (notice the extra space above the rubber sleeves; the England Air sits a couple cm higher than the stock Judy XC).

1996 era 8-speed Deore XT Rear Deraileur & V-brakes, Cranks, Deore LX Front Deraileur (the only thing I had that fit) XTR Rapid Fire Plus shifter & brake levers, Ringle Bubba (Judy edition which only fits the Judy Fork but makes for a stiffer front end) front hub on Mavic 231 rim, Rear Hub is a Nuke Proof Titanium. Skewers are Ringle Titanium. Saddle is a white Selle Italia Flight Titanium. Yeti Carbon Fiber Handlebars and Zoom 115mm stem.

As soon as I find a 400mm seat post I will take it for a spin! When I worked at Don's Cycle in Fairfield, Ct until 1993 this was the bike I always wanted but could never afford!
Old December 29th, 2010, 6:39 AM   #2
sketchy

Looks good! I'm right there with size wise. I'm 6 ft even and can't believe I ever fit on my medium Yo.
sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 9:15 AM   #3
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator

I am also 6'1" and ride a medium Yo. It feels like it fits great. I suppose I could go bigger, and my Salsa is taller.....but yep, the top tube length is the same. It does require some seatpost though!
yo-Nate-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 7:37 PM   #4
rick

I am a bit over 6 foot and cannot imagine riding a medium. The folks at Fat City insisted that I ride a medium/large, which I can (and do) but I really like the fit of a large. Just my 2 cents.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 7:43 AM   #5
chainline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
I am a bit over 6 foot and cannot imagine riding a medium. The folks at Fat City insisted that I ride a medium/large, which I can (and do) but I really like the fit of a large. Just my 2 cents.
Im with you on this one Rick, all mine are m/l and the L feels sooooo much better
chainline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 8:34 AM   #6
fat-tony
Global Moderator

I am 5'-8" and a small/medium is what I am supposed to be riding. I feel like I am on a BMXer when I am on it, but my medium feels just right. I guess it is what you get use to?
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #7
jonsonneborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
Rick, This is kind of how I felt coming from a 21" Paramount Mountain Bike when I bought my Team Comp a year ago (which is also a medium). After a few rides and with a long enough seat post and stem the bike feels pretty comfortable.

I managed to pick up a 350mm 29.4 Zoom post for my Yo yesterday at the local re-cylery bike shop and I am going to finally take it out for a ride today.

with the 350mm I can get my seat height to 29" from the center of my BB to the seat rails, which is exactly where it is on my 21" Paramount. With a 115mm stem I am also the same distance from seat to handlebars (within 1/4") as I am on my 21" Paramount due to the extra long top tube lengths on these Fats.

My Yo should fit nearly identical to my Team Comp which I have ridden for dozens of hours now and I love the way it feels!

Jon
Old December 30th, 2010, 2:33 PM   #8
yo-Nate-y
Global Moderator

I look forward to trying a large framed Yo someday, but M is where I started, and like jonsonneborn, I've kept the distances the same as my Salsa with a long post and nice stem extension/angle. Ride-wise the Yo does feel more BMXy than the bigger Salsa. I I certainly appreciate more room to maneuver up top, and less potential to rack my balls, as it were. We've got some rutty, off-camber messes out here.

I wonder how the Wicked will turn out....
yo-Nate-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 5:55 PM   #9
jonsonneborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
I wonder how the Wicked will turn out....
The Wicked is done. It's actually a Wicked ST which stands for short torso so even though it has a 19" seat tube it only has a 21.5" top tube which is shorter than both my Yo and Team Comp by about an inch I've ridden it 2-3 times. Unfortunately I only have a Rock Shock Mag21 fork for the wicked ST which I really don't like.

Here are a few pics of the Yo after my 1st ride. The single-track trails at China Camp were a bit muddy after all of the recent California rains!

Old December 31st, 2010, 7:21 PM   #10
45Ronin

Default Nice Build

Your Yo looks great built up. Even better with some mud on it.

Well done.
45Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote