FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old August 19th, 2010, 5:07 PM   #1
fat66

Default Serial # details on my Buck

I have a Buck Shaver frameset that I am getting ready to build up OR sell. The serial # is BS M 015,,,,,,,,,,I know it's a Medium Saratoga rig, decent red paint and decals, dinged up but in overall good shape. Can anyone help with the year? thanks in advance
Mark G
Norte AZ
2 Wheels Good
fat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 7:44 PM   #2
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

Unfortunately, once they moved to the Serotta facility, their numbering system stopped including date codes. Best way to match it up by colors offered, but I think Bucks were almost always offered in red, so you don't have much to go on. It's 1994.5 or later, that's about it.

If they were original components on the bike when it was still a roller, you might be able to carbon-date it by those, too. Outside of that...
1993 GT Xizang
Doug Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 9:42 PM   #3
DC

My 2 Cents

My Buck, BS M 110 is a '95, it was ordered at the shop that I worked at in '95. My guess, if they had any sequence to them is your's was the 15th buck of the year 1995, or maybe the 15th medium Buck of the year. It is all speculation at this point.

Anyway it rolls, you have an expertly crafted, handbuilt, American steel bike that you should be proud as heck to ride the heck out of!

RIDE IT!! these bikes were NOT made to be collector's garage queens

(that is my opinion, calmly stated)
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #4
settemarche

BS = model: BuckShaver

M = size: medium

01 = number built that year??? yours would be the first...

5 = last number of the year 1995.

1995 jives with NY. but as always none of the above is concrete. we see different serial sequences in all different years. nothing is set in stone when it comes to Fat City.
settemarche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #5
IF52

Quote:
Originally Posted by settemarche View Post
BS = model: BuckShaver

M = size: medium

01 = number built that year??? yours would be the first...

5 = last number of the year 1995.

1995 jives with NY. but as always none of the above is concrete. we see different serial sequences in all different years. nothing is set in stone when it comes to Fat City.
NO date codes from 95 on. If you look at the serial numbers of know 1995 Fats you will see they end in just about any number, clearly indicating the last number has nothing to do with the year of birth. I will speculate that the writing was on the wall by that point and they figured if they kept date codes in the serial numbers it would be more obvious when they were selling frames from the year before as current model year frames. Not that they changed that much from year to year other than the eventual switch to 1 1/8th.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 2:00 PM   #6
fat66

Default No garage queens here in Norte AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
My Buck, BS M 110 is a '95, it was ordered at the shop that I worked at in '95. My guess, if they had any sequence to them is your's was the 15th buck of the year 1995, or maybe the 15th medium Buck of the year. It is all speculation at this point.

Anyway it rolls, you have an expertly crafted, handbuilt, American steel bike that you should be proud as heck to ride the heck out of!

RIDE IT!! these bikes were NOT made to be collector's garage queens

(that is my opinion, calmly stated)

I agree, FC were made to be ridden, NOT garage queens to be admired over a fine bottle of wine,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless it 's after the ride! I have 5 other Fats in my shop and I would guesstimate they have over 18,000 miles on them. I'll be riding one of them this weekend, most likely the 92 Yo dirt drop SS. Have a weekend
2 WHEELS GOOD
fat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 6:34 AM   #7
DC

Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat66 View Post
I agree, FC were made to be ridden, NOT garage queens to be admired over a fine bottle of wine,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless it 's after the ride! I have 5 other Fats in my shop and I would guesstimate they have over 18,000 miles on them. I'll be riding one of them this weekend, most likely the 92 Yo dirt drop SS. Have a weekend
2 WHEELS GOOD
Definitely into the post-ride, quality garage time

enjoy your Fats!