FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old May 21st, 2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Butcher

Default Cracked Chain Stay - Help needed

The drive side chain stay on my 90' Yo Eddy cracked. The crack was the ultimate result of chain suck damage from many years prior.

I talked to a local frame guy here in Fort Collins (Nobilette) he has ideas on how to repair it, but the best would be if we replaced the whole chain stay. The catch is material. I'm wondering if anyone out there, perticulary you guys that might have worked for Fat City in the day, would have a chain stay you would sell me. A long shot I'm sure.

We talked about a patch type of repair. Other ideas would be appreciated.
Old May 31st, 2010, 9:58 AM   #2
2fat

you know if you punch up fat chance on you tube there is a segment in one of the videos that shows chris makeing chain/seat stays in house so I dont think your going to find one available just laying around unfortunatly.check it out on youtube and let your builder know cause I think a one off could be fabed up out of straight guage if he has the right tools and you have the cash.
2fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:14 AM   #3
I-ROBOT

Hey Butcher,
Post or send me a photo of the cracked tube and I should be able to give some ideas on how to repair it. Unless the tube is completely broken, you can probably fix it. Let me know.
Scott
I-ROBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 9:29 PM   #4
Butcher

Thanks guys. I'm lucky I think that I've got one of the old time quality builders in my area. Mark Nobilette did an awesome job fixing my Yo. And what a cool shop to explore, as he's been building bikes since the 70's he has aquired an extensive collection of frames which are hung in a circle around the ceiling of his entire shop.

We ended up replacing the entire drive side chainstay, as the place it cracked was a heat affected zone from a prior repair done years back from some nasty chain suck damage.

His workmanship speaks for itself, check the chain stay...looks like a near perfect match. Since the paint job was F'ed anyways and I always wished my 90' Yo had a 68mm threaded BB, I had him take care of that too. Now I can use any threaded 68MM bb, sweet. Notice how he brazed back in the brace vs welding it back it, he said the tubing would be stronger if it was not subjected to the heat of welding again.

This Yo is ready for another season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yo Nobilette repairs 002.jpg (280.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Yo Nobilette repairs 003.jpg (278.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Yo Nobilette repairs 005.jpg (277.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Yo Nobilette repairs 006.jpg (260.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Yo Nobilette repairs 007.jpg (277.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Yo Nobilette repairs 008.jpg (276.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Butcher; July 10th, 2010 at 9:45 PM.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 1:44 AM   #5
jbrannsten
Global Moderator

Nice work.... I always love to see people being really dedicated and saving these old bikes! What color will you choose for the repaint?
'91 M Yo | '91 S Monster | '93 S/M Yo | '93 Buck Shaver | '94 M Ti | '94 S/M Yo, rust in seat tube. Saved by C. igleheart | '97 S/M Bro Eddy | '97 Klein Quantum Pro | '97 Klein Quantum Pro, Jade Chamelion |

Previous bikes:
'92 M Yo Team Violet, stolen in '95 never recovered | '92 M Yo, rust in seat and down tube, not possible to save | '93 Klein Attitude Moonrise, stolen in '95 never recovered | '98 Trek 9900 OCLV, sold
jbrannsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #6
Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrannsten View Post
Nice work.... I always love to see people being really dedicated and saving these old bikes! What color will you choose for the repaint?
Yep, I'll keep this one going no mater what.

I just shot clear over the repair area, it looks kind of cool for now. I'll keep with grello, always on this one.