FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Reader's Rides Gallery

Reader's Rides Gallery Show us your Fat. Keep your clothes on, though.

Old January 8th, 2010, 7:01 PM   #1
clockworkgazz

Default Fat Chance 1986

Here are a few pictures of my new project- not completely period correct but not a kick in the shirt away- awaiting some grab on's from Florida and the old girl can be cabled up. Love the slack angles, not sure it would be a fabby climber but bet it's a great cruising machine.

will post up some finished piccies in a few weeks.
clockworkgazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 3:47 PM   #2
clockworkgazz

anyone know what colour this fat is apart from black of course. I want to touch the old girl up ohhh errr matron.
Old January 13th, 2010, 3:50 PM   #3
Dr S

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkgazz View Post
anyone know what colour this fat is apart from black of course. I want to touch the old girl up ohhh errr matron.
Its just black I guess gazz?? Looking very nice btw
Dr S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #4
I-ROBOT

Hey Doc

The black would be the epoxy powder-coat finish that we used to use for the black and blue frames. It was done by a firm in Mass whose name escapes me at the moment (that smoky shop thing again I guess).

Typically the unicrown forks were painted yellow with Imron and that was done at the Somerville shop. The standard black or blue frames got yellow forks to match the decals.

The black powder-coated frames were also used for many custom paint jobs as a primer since it was very tough and could stand up to a fair amount of abuse on the gnarly New England trails.

The painters would just de-gloss the surface of the powder coat, wipe it clean and then spray Imron right over it.

Regards
Scott Bengtson
I-ROBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 7:28 AM   #5
clockworkgazz

Thanks for the info fella's- great history and might get the forks done yellow one day but will wait awhile, will look out some model paint as it is only a few chips that need some TLC, you are right, the paint/powdercoat is very tough and looks nice now I have waxed the old girl up.
Old January 16th, 2010, 9:42 PM   #6
MikeyNYC

Quote:
Thanks for the info fella's- great history and might get the forks done yellow one day but will wait awhile, will look out some model paint as it is only a few chips that need some TLC, you are right, the paint/powdercoat is very tough and looks nice now I have waxed the old girl up.

If there's nothing wrong with the paint on the fork keep it black, it looks cool!
MikeyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 4:56 PM   #7
RobTu

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-ROBOT View Post
Hey Doc

The black would be the epoxy powder-coat finish that we used to use for the black and blue frames. It was done by a firm in Mass whose name escapes me at the moment (that smoky shop thing again I guess).

Typically the unicrown forks were painted yellow with Imron and that was done at the Somerville shop. The standard black or blue frames got yellow forks to match the decals.

The black powder-coated frames were also used for many custom paint jobs as a primer since it was very tough and could stand up to a fair amount of abuse on the gnarly New England trails.

The painters would just de-gloss the surface of the powder coat, wipe it clean and then spray Imron right over it.

Regards
Scott Bengtson
awesome!
Nice to know Fatcogs is still relevent for good answers.

Gazz, I agree with Michael; leave the fork black
RobTu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #8
I-ROBOT

Hey Gang

I actually like the black fork too! I'm sure some dealers ordered black frames with black forks so it's not neccessarily incorrect. I believe black or yellow were the standard colors with no extra cost for either.

The first time I re-did my Wicked, I had it painted all black with no decals at all and it looked pretty cool. Black Imron has more gloss to it than the black epoxy powder coat so it was really shiny and nobody knew what it was. I used that frame to experiment with TIG brazing using silicon bronze filler metal. I added the chin gusset, changed to top tube cable guides, added fender mounts and sealed water bottle bosses and an extra eyelet on the rear drops. I TIG brazed all of those with silicon bronze and it is still together.

Right before the Somerville shop closed, Mike Flanigan sprayed it with "Last Page Pink". This was the dusky rose color that was on one bike that apperaed on the last page on one of our brochures and it became somewhat popular as a custom color. He did the unicrown fork, my box crown fork (ungusseted and not for sale - sorry) and the legs of my Rock Shox Mag 21 which is on my TI bike. We put new Rock Shox decals on it and everyone wondered how they could get a Rock Shox in that color.

I'm going to try to remember to put up some pics of my bikes at some point. (Guess I'll have to blow all the dust off 'em first, huh?)

Looking forward to spring
Scott Bengtson
I-ROBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 5:51 PM   #9
clockworkgazz

Scott great to hear some tales from BITD and you must post pictures ASAP! The fork will stay black and when my suntour beartraps arrive from NY I'll post up a complete set of snaps- thanks for the info and kind words fella's.
Old January 29th, 2010, 7:25 AM   #10
Dr S

Cool story Scott.

My 87 Wicked was originally ordered by its LA owner from Fat City with a black fork and no decals. The only decal was the Fat City Cycles decal on the bars. After 23 years the original paint was looking tired and I re-powdered it last year. I flatted and polished the powder and the shine is almost as good as wet paint but is much tougher. After a years use it is still unmarked.
To finish it off i had a set of decals made in satin black. You have to get up real close to see them but they look really cool and don't change the original appearance of the bike.
there are pics of it in readers bikes somewhere.

Looking forward to getting Gazz's bike and my own out on the trails this summer. These early fats ride so well
Dr S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 7:42 PM   #11
RobTu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr S View Post
Cool story Scott.

My 87 Wicked was originally ordered by its LA owner from Fat City with a black fork and no decals. The only decal was the Fat City Cycles decal on the bars. After 23 years the original paint was looking tired and I re-powdered it last year. I flatted and polished the powder and the shine is almost as good as wet paint but is much tougher. After a years use it is still unmarked.
To finish it off i had a set of decals made in satin black. You have to get up real close to see them but they look really cool and don't change the original appearance of the bike.
there are pics of it in readers bikes somewhere.

Looking forward to getting Gazz's bike and my own out on the trails this summer. These early fats ride so well

Look forward to the pics from that ride
Old February 11th, 2010, 4:51 PM   #12
clockworkgazz

Now finished- Ill do some descent pics latter

Old February 19th, 2010, 6:31 PM   #13
clockworkgazz

couple more pictures

Old February 21st, 2010, 2:57 PM   #14
colker

how does it ride?
Old February 21st, 2010, 3:47 PM   #15
clockworkgazz

don't really know it's more of a garage queen

it is a bit to cramped with the bullmoose bars needs something longer really before I would get her muddy.
Old February 21st, 2010, 4:26 PM   #16
colker

there is a 140mm salsa on ebay, form veloculture. why not grab it and roll w/ some titec ti bars on some juicy muddy trails... just for the sake of a fire baptism and some bike test writting?
Old February 21st, 2010, 5:58 PM   #17
clockworkgazz

I have a salsa stem that would do the job but everything is in pretty good or NOS condition so don't want to feck it up- I will be looking for a mid eighties frame to build that will be a rider- this was my vanity project.
Old December 7th, 2010, 8:36 PM   #18
RobTu

Quote:
don't really know it's more of a garage queen

it is a bit to cramped with the bullmoose bars needs something longer really before I would get her muddy.
did you ever try fitting that bar and stem I sent you?
Old December 9th, 2010, 9:28 AM   #19
clockworkgazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTu View Post
did you ever try fitting that bar and stem I sent you?
they are on and it looks the business- will need to take her out and take a snap- she needs a wee polish anyway- still not got her dirty.
Old December 9th, 2010, 4:36 PM   #20
clockworkgazz

found a pic from a month or two ago

Old December 13th, 2010, 8:54 PM   #21
jonsonneborn

Very nice looking '86 Fat! I had an '86 Fat Chance way back in the early nineties and I remember the 2-sets of water bottle braze-ons on the inside of the downtube.