Hunt for seat collar and green rubber

45Ronin

In the hunt for an original seat collar for my newly acquired 92 Yo, I ran a couple leads down. Thought the effort was worth sharing with others who may want the same thing.

DKG still has some original Yo Eddy seat collars in stock. On a side, the owner of that company is good to go. I picked one up for $21 with shipping. As others have told me (Rody, Nate), the green rubber seal isn't critical or even necessary.

As a final throw to the wind, I shot an e-mail to Scott (former FC employee and all knowing historian) reference the green rubber seal. He said the seals were probably made at Greene Rubber (go figure), based in Mass. Wayne, a 40 year Greene Rubber employee, and I talked today. He has no recollection, and said their records are only good from 2004 on.

They would need a CAD drawing or at the minimum a sample seal to make more. Sounds like too much work for something not needed.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Awesome that DKG still had some! Were they the ones made for the seal or no? Kudos for doing the legwork to check with Greene too.

I pulled a couple of mine to check em out. The clamps with the green seal are taller/thicker than the ones without it. The green seal sits in a groove near the top of the clamp, above the seat tube but within the clamp. Like I said in private communication, my '91 initially had the green seal, but young foolish me didn't like the look of it and pulled it off. Well-greased and it shouldn't matter.

My Monster (also '91) doesn't have the seal, '93 Yo does, and a '97 Serotta-made Yo I picked up has the seal, but the rubber is pretty far gone, cracking and no longer really green.

45Ronin

The clamps DKG has are thicker/taller than the other one's I've seen, so I'm thinking they were for the green seal. Dave at DKG had knowledge of the green seal, but he said those were sourced solely by Fat Chance.