FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old December 14th, 2009, 6:11 PM   #1
jonsonneborn

Default I bought the Wicked ST on ebay

I decided to buy the '94 Wicked ST (short Torso) that was on ebay. Paid $185 including shipping which seemed pretty fair to me (since it has a bottom bracket & seat post). Anyone know if this is an MA or NY bike? I am surprised that the Wicked still had downtube cable routing in 1994. Here is a photo:
Old December 14th, 2009, 6:25 PM   #2
AB

More than likely your wicked is a 1990 to 1992 model - not 1994. If you post the serial number that would help determine the year.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 9:17 AM   #3
DC

Cool frame! Are there build plans yet? The short top tube would be conducive to a moustache or dirt drop style bar. I agree with AB that it is pre '93 when they went 'Lite' and to top tube routing.
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #4
I-ROBOT

Definitely a Mass bike. Definitely not a '94. Judging by the Shimano brake mounts its probably '87 to '90 vintage. A steal for the price.
Scott Bengtson
I-ROBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #5
jonsonneborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
Cool frame! Are there build plans yet? The short top tube would be conducive to a moustache or dirt drop style bar. I agree with AB that it is pre '93 when they went 'Lite' and to top tube routing.
I most likely will build it up. I'll probably look for a similar vintage donor bike on Craigslist with a good XT group, etc. I have an old specialized (rebranded rock shox) suspension fork w/ 1" steerer that I'll probably use for now. Will post on the builder's corner as the bike progresses. As of now I haven't received it yet.
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #6
jonsonneborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-ROBOT View Post
Definitely a Mass bike. Definitely not a '94. Judging by the Shimano brake mounts its probably '87 to '90 vintage. A steal for the price.
Scott Bengtson
Scott,

Was the "ST" wicked made back then? I am bummed because i was really looking for a 1994 with the many updates.

Last edited by jonsonneborn; January 2nd, 2010 at 3:15 PM.
jonsonneborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #7
jbrannsten
Global Moderator

Doesn't this have a pressed bb? Then it should be pre '92. All '92 FCC bikes I have seen have threaded bb, mostly all '91 I have seen have pressed bb. I have a '91 Yo with pressed bb and a '91 Monster with threaded so my guess is that they did the change from pressed to threaded sometime during 1991. So if this ST have a pressed bb, it should at leat be a '91 or older.
'91 M Yo | '91 S Monster | '93 S/M Yo | '93 Buck Shaver | '94 M Ti | '94 S/M Yo, rust in seat tube. Saved by C. igleheart | '97 S/M Bro Eddy | '97 Klein Quantum Pro | '97 Klein Quantum Pro, Jade Chamelion |

Previous bikes:
'92 M Yo Team Violet, stolen in '95 never recovered | '92 M Yo, rust in seat and down tube, not possible to save | '93 Klein Attitude Moonrise, stolen in '95 never recovered | '98 Trek 9900 OCLV, sold
jbrannsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 4:23 PM   #8
jonsonneborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrannsten View Post
Doesn't this have a pressed bb? Then it should be pre '92. All '92 FCC bikes I have seen have threaded bb, mostly all '91 I have seen have pressed bb. I have a '91 Yo with pressed bb and a '91 Monster with threaded so my guess is that they did the change from pressed to threaded sometime during 1991. So if this ST have a pressed bb, it should at leat be a '91 or older.
Good point. I cannot wait to confirm what year it is. It's probable older than I thought.
Old December 17th, 2009, 4:45 PM   #9
DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsonneborn View Post
Good point. I cannot wait to confirm what year it is. It's probable older than I thought.
The "I can't wait till it gets here" syndrome, we've all been there!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 6:42 PM   #10
jonsonneborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrannsten View Post
So I got the Wicked ST. Serial is 166590. I am guessing this makes it a '91 since the 1st number is "1"? I am surprised there is no "W" in the serial number. Could it be a repainted Fat Chance (non -wicked)? The paint is in near perfect condition. Here are some pics.

Last edited by jonsonneborn; December 23rd, 2009 at 6:53 PM.
jonsonneborn is offline   Reply With Quote