FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old August 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #1
brad

Default Replacement Brake Posts

I have a 91 M Yo Eddy w/ the original fork. Around 93-94 I put Avid Tri-Aligns on the bike. If anyone is familiar with those brakes they required a sleeve over the original brake posts. The sleeve was held in place w/ loc-tite. The springs on the Tri-Aligns have grown weak and I would like to put modern V-brakes on the bike. The problem is that the sleeves have seized to the posts and I can't get them off.

I seem to recall that these brake posts didn't use standard threading? If that is the case does anyone know of a source for replacements or the thread spec?

Thanks!
brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #2
MikeyNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad View Post
I have a 91 M Yo Eddy w/ the original fork. Around 93-94 I put Avid Tri-Aligns on the bike. If anyone is familiar with those brakes they required a sleeve over the original brake posts. The sleeve was held in place w/ loc-tite. The springs on the Tri-Aligns have grown weak and I would like to put modern V-brakes on the bike. The problem is that the sleeves have seized to the posts and I can't get them off.

I seem to recall that these brake posts didn't use standard threading? If that is the case does anyone know of a source for replacements or the thread spec?

Thanks!
Have you tried heating the sleeves slightly to loosen them up? I had a similar situation where WTB Roller-Cam brakes have a sleeve that goes over the brake posts and they seemed totally stuck but a buddy is an expert bike mechanic and he suggested heating the sleeves on the posts and they slowly and carefully came off, I don't know if this will work with lock-tite but it's worth a shot...I used a hair dryer and wore gloves, I didn't use any type of torch...
MikeyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 7:37 AM   #3
smittylube

Heat does work to loosen locktight. Small butane torch would work fine w/o getting it too hot and discolor. Take your time and it will come off w/o messing anything up
smittylube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 9:43 AM   #4
IF52

Heat and if all else fails an automotive battery terminal puller. No joke.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 2:07 PM   #5
spinner

5/16 X 18 is the thread size and pitch on both my 91 yo and 91 Wicked. Could not find any at either of my lbs then a friend had a set in his spare parts bin.
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 9:14 PM   #6
brad

All,

Thanks for the recommendation on heating. I now recall that was what the Avid recommended. I'll give that a shot. If not I'll search the internet for parts based on the thread pitch provided.
brad is offline   Reply With Quote