FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old June 26th, 2009, 4:25 PM   #1
Jeeves

Default Ti Fat - What to do?

My first was a Wicked that I bought when I was about 17 years old, and rode all the way through the end of my graduate studies in 1994. After I got my first real job, I thought I deserved a new ride, so I bought a TI. It's a sweet bike, don't get me wrong, but I was never as confident on it as I was with my Wicked.

Now that I'm older. . . a lot older...I think I realize one of the problems I've been having with my TI. It's leaning me over too much. The seatpost is up high, and the handlebars are waaay down low. I notice that the back of my neck hurts when I ride that bike now.

I've tried a couple of solutions - a shorter stem, AND also Jones bars, which bring the cockpit further back. It's not there yet, and I think I'll have to go with height more than rearward adjustment. That means, probably, a new fork (rigid) with a longer steer tube for a little more stack height, a stem with a little more rise to it, and a riser bar.

Does this solution make sense? I feel like I'm still taking a chance, since it still may not do it for me and I'll have wasted money on more components. Any suggestions on parts, or on how to do this smartly without a lot of guesswork? Anything I should think of?

I figure an Iglehart or a fork from Rody so that we're good with the a/c height and the steerer tube diameter. I'll need a shim for a modern stem as well. What's the max reasonable height on a HT stack before it starts to look / act goofy?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I'd hate to have to sell this thing because I don't ride it that much. . .

Thanks!
-Raj
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 7:19 PM   #2
colker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeves View Post
My first was a Wicked that I bought when I was about 17 years old, and rode all the way through the end of my graduate studies in 1994. After I got my first real job, I thought I deserved a new ride, so I bought a TI. It's a sweet bike, don't get me wrong, but I was never as confident on it as I was with my Wicked.

Now that I'm older. . . a lot older...I think I realize one of the problems I've been having with my TI. It's leaning me over too much. The seatpost is up high, and the handlebars are waaay down low. I notice that the back of my neck hurts when I ride that bike now.

I've tried a couple of solutions - a shorter stem, AND also Jones bars, which bring the cockpit further back. It's not there yet, and I think I'll have to go with height more than rearward adjustment. That means, probably, a new fork (rigid) with a longer steer tube for a little more stack height, a stem with a little more rise to it, and a riser bar.

Does this solution make sense? I feel like I'm still taking a chance, since it still may not do it for me and I'll have wasted money on more components. Any suggestions on parts, or on how to do this smartly without a lot of guesswork? Anything I should think of?

I figure an Iglehart or a fork from Rody so that we're good with the a/c height and the steerer tube diameter. I'll need a shim for a modern stem as well. What's the max reasonable height on a HT stack before it starts to look / act goofy?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I'd hate to have to sell this thing because I don't ride it that much. . .

Thanks!
-Raj
try a stem w/ 15
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #3
settemarche

Raj,

this does not sound like a problem that is going to go away!

the best solution is to just sell me the Ti very cheap ;-)

Sette
settemarche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 8:55 PM   #4
rody

Raj,

Welcome to old age

Though I love my old bikes, fit and performance have evolved beyond the classic NORBA race position to a fit that is more ergonomically correct, less stressful, and where comfort is more easily achieved. I've not ridden my classic bikes for more than shop errands since finally building myself a properly fitted bike that takes advantages of the variety of wheel sizes, long travel front end geometry, and a more upright ergonomic position that allows for a more open torso for easier breathing and control.

You can get your classic Ti to fit, and you are following the right track with some of your thinking. What I would suggest is having a trusted shop work up some fit numbers for you based off of your body measurements, much like sizing a custom frame, and then see what adjustments it would take to fit your Fat to your optimum position. More than likely, a custom stem and a little saddle adjustment would get you fairly close, increasing the probability of comfort and control for future enjoyment of your classic frame.

cheers,

rody
Old June 29th, 2009, 2:30 PM   #5
bike1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by settemarche View Post
Raj,

this does not sound like a problem that is going to go away!

the best solution is to just sell me the Ti very cheap ;-)

Sette

Let me know if you decide to sell the frame, I'm interested in it if the price is right!!!!
bike1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 4:36 PM   #6
jbrannsten
Global Moderator

Get in line, hehe
'91 M Yo | '91 S Monster | '93 S/M Yo | '93 Buck Shaver | '94 M Ti | '94 S/M Yo, rust in seat tube. Saved by C. igleheart | '97 S/M Bro Eddy | '97 Klein Quantum Pro | '97 Klein Quantum Pro, Jade Chamelion |

Previous bikes:
'92 M Yo Team Violet, stolen in '95 never recovered | '92 M Yo, rust in seat and down tube, not possible to save | '93 Klein Attitude Moonrise, stolen in '95 never recovered | '98 Trek 9900 OCLV, sold
jbrannsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #7
Jeeves

Heh! I knew that this thread might bring out the Fat Predators! I'm at about 50 / 50 keep/sell at this point, so I will let you all know here first if I go the sell route for sure. I would want to get a pretty good price, or a trade for a bike that my old ass can handle...like a Yeti 575 or a Moots Cinco (partial trade / cash deal).

Barring spectacular offers I can't refuse, I think I'll take some of your great advice above (thanks for all of your thoughts) and try to see about making this thing work for me.

-Raj
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote