FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old May 31st, 2009, 9:16 PM   #1
Ranxirox

Default 92 Monster Brake Studs

I am currently rebuilding a 92 monster that had been powdercoated by the previous owner. I have purchased M8 - M10 titanium brake studs and niether of them fit. I think the M8's were the right size but the thread pitch is different --- I THINK --- they started to thread but became difficult to turn. I was not going to put any pressure on them until I am 100% sure they are the right size and thread pitch. PLEASE HELP!
Ranxirox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 1:03 PM   #2
laffeaux

I ran into the same issue with a '93 Fit Ti. The fork and frame used different sized studs. The fork was "normal" but I could never find new studs for the rear. I eventually used the incredibly rusty set that came with the frame, and used a lot of elbow grease to get them to look nicer.

So, I can't offer you the correct thread pitch, but I can tell you that you're not crazy, they really are an odd ball size.
laffeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 8:41 PM   #3
mainlyfats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranxirox View Post
I am currently rebuilding a 92 monster that had been powdercoated by the previous owner. I have purchased M8 - M10 titanium brake studs and niether of them fit. I think the M8's were the right size but the thread pitch is different --- I THINK --- they started to thread but became difficult to turn. I was not going to put any pressure on them until I am 100% sure they are the right size and thread pitch. PLEASE HELP!
I can add - although not confirm - that almost anything you easily find after-market will be metric and almost everything (if not absolutely everything) that Fat used was imperial.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #4
Ranxirox

O.K. so now I am looking for imperial threaded brake studs. I wonder if they can be obtained from an old Huffy?
Ranxirox is offline   Reply With Quote