FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Reader's Rides Gallery

Reader's Rides Gallery Show us your Fat. Keep your clothes on, though.

Old March 29th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Butcher

Default 1991 Black Yo SS Project

This started out with my girl friend wanting a single speed ride. So last fall this 91 Yo showed up on eBay and after she won the auction this very original Yo that was caked with filth and had a lot of surface rust on the stem and the head set area shows up. After I stripped in down to the frame and tapped out the head set I did some very select sanding down and repainting without distrubing the decals. Some day it could use a complete repaint, but this needed to be a budget project.

Cleaning out the seat tube revealed that is was rust free. I sanded down the Salsa stem and repainted it. I cleaned and checked every single part and built the bike back up as a SS conversion using all the parts that came on the bike. The only parts I changed are the pedals, tires, brake levers and the handle bars. The brake levers had to be switched out as it had the integrated XT shifter/brake levers on it. The levers I used are period correct vintage items that I've had in my parts bin for nearly 20 years. It's got sweet vintage XT brakes, XT head set and XT hubs and the Mavic rims are sweet with not a single ding. I touched up the rear wheel on the truing stand and the front was perfect as is. I cleaned greased and repacked every bearing on the bike. The old press in bottom bracket did not have any play in it but I could tell it was dry so I carefully popped out the dust covers and squirted in some high quality Finish Line lube and pressed back in the dust covers. Now the BB felt as smooth as butter. I also tapped out the spindal and made sure the Bottom Bracket shell was clean and ran some grease around the inside to keep it rust free.

I think it turned out pretty good - check it out for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Auctions Jan 09 008.jpg (282.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Auctions Jan 09 009.jpg (274.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Auctions Jan 09 010.jpg (279.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Auctions Jan 09 012.jpg (278.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Auctions Jan 09 015.jpg (279.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Auctions Jan 09 013.jpg (277.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Auctions Jan 09 011.jpg (277.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Auctions Jan 09 014.jpg (277.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Auctions Jan 09 017.jpg (278.4 KB, 12 views)
Old March 30th, 2009, 8:22 AM   #2
smittylube

That looks great! My wicked has the same hubs and brakes. Unfortunatly I only have one of the black rims. I wonder if there might b any in someones garage.
Btw what size r the kendas on yours?
Steve
smittylube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 9:20 AM   #3
Butcher

Those are 2.10 Nevgals.
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Upchuck

Very nice, Butcher. Your girlfriend has good taste in bikes. And obviously in boyfriends too. Nice job on the rebuild/refurb.
93 m Ti Fat Chance period correct
99 m Yo! SS conversion
Upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #5
smittylube

>>>Those are 2.10 Nevgals<<<

they look great on there. Good job.

Steve
smittylube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 2:13 PM   #6
fat66

Default nice conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
This started out with my girl friend wanting a single speed ride. So last fall this 91 Yo showed up on eBay and after she won the auction this very original Yo that was caked with filth and had a lot of surface rust on the stem and the head set area shows up. After I stripped in down to the frame and tapped out the head set I did some very select sanding down and repainting without distrubing the decals. Some day it could use a complete repaint, but this needed to be a budget project.

Cleaning out the seat tube revealed that is was rust free. I sanded down the Salsa stem and repainted it. I cleaned and checked every single part and built the bike back up as a SS conversion using all the parts that came on the bike. The only parts I changed are the pedals, tires, brake levers and the handle bars. The brake levers had to be switched out as it had the integrated XT shifter/brake levers on it. The levers I used are period correct vintage items that I've had in my parts bin for nearly 20 years. It's got sweet vintage XT brakes, XT head set and XT hubs and the Mavic rims are sweet with not a single ding. I touched up the rear wheel on the truing stand and the front was perfect as is. I cleaned greased and repacked every bearing on the bike. The old press in bottom bracket did not have any play in it but I could tell it was dry so I carefully popped out the dust covers and squirted in some high quality Finish Line lube and pressed back in the dust covers. Now the BB felt as smooth as butter. I also tapped out the spindal and made sure the Bottom Bracket shell was clean and ran some grease around the inside to keep it rust free.

I think it turned out pretty good - check it out for yourself.
Congrats, beautiful job on the SS conversion. I converted one of my Yo's to a dedicated SS. I installed WTB dirt drops,180 Race Face cranks, Paul Hubs, original Yo fork etc,,,,,,,, completed the conversion with handmade Stainless horizontal dropouts made by Vulture Cycles up in Bend,OR. Some day I'll snap some photos and post here on Fat Cogs
fat66 is offline   Reply With Quote