FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old October 31st, 2008, 4:40 PM   #1
Butcher

Default Track Drop outs?

I'm getting ready to restore my Yo Eddy frame but I still have not decided on the drop outs. I'm going to run it single speed and I'm either going with an Eric's ENO hub or Track Drops. Over all it seems like the track dropouts are the best way to go but I'm not sure what that does with the Fat Chance bullet chain stays and if the builder can keep the Yo geometry intact.

Has anyone done this modification to their Yo Eddy and if so what wisdom can you share?

Thanks
Old October 31st, 2008, 8:25 PM   #2
mainlyfats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
I'm getting ready to restore my Yo Eddy frame but I still have not decided on the drop outs. I'm going to run it single speed and I'm either going with an Eric's ENO hub or Track Drops. Over all it seems like the track dropouts are the best way to go but I'm not sure what that does with the Fat Chance bullet chain stays and if the builder can keep the Yo geometry intact.

Has anyone done this modification to their Yo Eddy and if so what wisdom can you share?

Thanks
I had it done to my team fat. The technique my builder used was to make bullets on a lathe and then cut slots in them for track ends.

Labor intense. Expensive. Unless you have the cable stops removed it's still not really going to look clean.

My 2 cents - go eno.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 8:00 AM   #3
Oirad

Hello Butcher,

I run my Wicked as a fixed gear and thought that it would look cool all streamlined and stuff. I didn't have the heart to chop anything off, braze-ons, hanger, etc ... because I thought ... well ... y'know ... Fat Chances are too beautiful ... so I just run an Eno Eccentric hub like MainlyFats says. It works perfectly. So, go with the Eno hub, unless you want to butcher your frame (Insert smile icon here: ______).

-- Oirad
Oirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 9:16 AM   #4
Octsoc

I think the Yo uses a 34:16 magic ratio. Add a link for going up or down 2 teeth. Try and see if it works for you.
Octsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Butcher

Well, three replys - and the tone is don't mess with the drop outs. I'm glad I got a little feed back as it made my mind up reading the replys. It was tempting to go to Track Drops and I would go that way if I was building up a new frame, but I don't think I want to chop up that original Yo Eddy.

Since I'm planning on this being my race bike, gear ratio changes need to be able to be made quickly and with correct chain tension - so the ENO set up is a perfect solution. Otherwise the magic chain length solution is pretty sweet. I found that 32x17 works perfect too without going to a 1/2 link - a little to tight with a brand new chain but perfect after a few rides.
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #6
M8

Another vote for the ENO here. I run it on my Bontrager and have had no problems with it at all...
M8 is offline   Reply With Quote