Fat Chance Founders?

bikerdie

Hi All,

Big fan of Fat Chance Bicycles. I'm wondering, is there anyway to get in touch with the founders of the company? I was hoping to interview them on the company.

d3f3nd3r

There is a long thread on MTBR.com about the whereabouts of Chris Chance (he's either a shiatsu masseuse in CA or welding garden ornaments in VT). While his location is not 100% one thing that is pretty consistent is that he has no desire to wax nostalgic about the days of Fat City and does not appreciate being contacted about it. Wendyl Behrend is still in Stowe VT I believe as a Realtor and I think she has been helpful to those wanting to discuss Fat City but others may have more input on that.

fat-tony

Staff member
There is a long thread on MTBR.com about the whereabouts of Chris Chance (he's either a shiatsu masseuse in CA or welding garden ornaments in VT). While his location is not 100% one thing that is pretty consistent is that he has no desire to wax nostalgic about the days of Fat City and does not appreciate being contacted about it. Wendyl Behrend is still in Stowe VT I believe as a Realtor and I think she has been helpful to those wanting to discuss Fat City but others may have more input on that.

He won't even take the time to write his bio for the Mt Bike Hall of Fame out in Colorado.

jbrannsten

Staff member
Wendyl Behrend is still in Stowe VT I believe as a Realtor and I think she has been helpful to those wanting to discuss Fat City but others may have more input on that.

Last time I spoke with Wendyll she said that she was pulling out of all the Fat City stuff. My understanding was that it took a lot of her time so she decided to pull out.

ameybrook

Scott Bengston on this forum would be the first place I'd start. He seems like a wealth of information and super-helpful to the 'cogs.

Only.. I forget his username?

BobM

I have no idea how to contact them but a couple names of interest from the very early days might include...

John Troja - he was involved in the "sprocket man" cartoon book from California in the 70's & is actually the person who inspired & to some degree worked w/ Chris to build his 1st MB. He was more an idea guy, not a framebuilder & I think had aspirations of being Chris' partner. Pretty sure they parted ways soon after the 1st few bikes were built (possibly not on good terms?).

Gary Helfrich - he convinced Chris to change from brazed to welded frames, then went on to start Merlin.