FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Reader's Rides Gallery

Reader's Rides Gallery Show us your Fat. Keep your clothes on, though.

Old October 6th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #1
bullmoose

Default Fat Chance Titanium

This is my 1994 (?) Fat Chance Titanium.
When I first read in the local papers that Fat City was going out of business (Fall 1994) I called Belmont Wheelworks and asked them what they had in stock for Fat City framesets in a size medium. They had only this and a Yo Eddy!. I already had a Yo Eddy! so I was forced (it wasn't hard to twist my arm) to buy the ti. I already had strong sentiments concerning the artistry and craft of Chris Chance's bicycles and the bad news compelled me to grab something as a sort of keepsake before it was too late.

Originally I built this bike up using "All American" components including the ill-fated Paul's Components front and rear derailleurs and Grip Shift X-ray twist shifters. It was great concept but it didn't work for ****! I wised up and threw on some XTR bits and a Rock Shox SID (with 1" steerer, yay!) and things were the way they should be.

For me this is a collector's object; a piece of history that I will hand down to my kids (I can see the fights right now). It was raced only once and I could count the number of times it's actually been ridden on two hands. I know that's a shame and a waste but I feel irrationally protective of it. Fat City bikes can have that effect you know!

bullmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 3:10 AM   #2
scant

Default fat ti

hi bullmoose.
I do understand what you mean about the fat ti being a piece of art (I've owned two). they truly are beautiful. Ride it tho. time to time take it out & remeber the ride. For me the fat ti always had the perfect line between stiff drivetrain & compliant feel, a shame not to

sweet rig

scant
scant is offline   Reply With Quote