FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old June 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #1
skip nevell

Default Fat Chance suspension fork

I have a Fat Chance Yo Eddy model.

Can a suspension fork be retrofitted to this frame?
skip nevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #2
YoKris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip nevell View Post
I have a Fat Chance Yo Eddy model.

Can a suspension fork be retrofitted to this frame?

Well...starting from 94 the Yo's had a suspension corrected geometry. When was your frame made?! The serial indicates that!

//yo
YoKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 1:44 PM   #3
Doug Carter
Global Moderator

I had a Mass '93 Yo with a Judy SL and it handled beautifully. Keep the travel below 80mm and you'll be fine. The hard part now is finding a 1" steerer tube on a short travel fork.

I think someone has said before that Manitou may still do one. I don't recall off the top of my head.
1993 GT Xizang
Doug Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 6:02 PM   #4
DHSlammer

Using my incredibly amazing powers of deduction, a '93 Yo would not be suspension corrected?

737Y3ML
DHSlammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 7:30 PM   #5
jawakaman

Did the Titanium have suspension corrected geometry from 94 on as well? My first Yo Eddy (91) came with a BOI, but as soon as I laid eyes on the fabulous MANITOU 3, the BOI had to go into the closet. And there it stayed until last fall, whan it was sold to a fellow FATCOG. Now I regret the sale, miss the YO (stolen 93) and the M3 and wonder if I should get a supension corrected TI BOI replica for the TIFAT. Blargh.
jawakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 1:41 AM   #6
jbrannsten
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawakaman View Post
Did the Titanium have suspension corrected geometry from 94 on as well? My first Yo Eddy (91) came with a BOI, but as soon as I laid eyes on the fabulous MANITOU 3, the BOI had to go into the closet. And there it stayed until last fall, whan it was sold to a fellow FATCOG. Now I regret the sale, miss the YO (stolen 93) and the M3 and wonder if I should get a supension corrected TI BOI replica for the TIFAT. Blargh.
The '91 model did not have a BOI but a Yo Eddy fork. The legs are a bit wider in diameter (1.125 I believe) on the Yo Eddy fork compared to a BOI. The BOI was introduced at a later stage, don't remember when but I believe '93 or '94 (someone else in here can probably confirm it).

What is a bit strange is that the forks you sold seems to be suspension corrected. I have compared these against my '91 and '92 model and the two forks you sold are in fact a tiny bit longer than mine. This is a bit strange as the black fork you had is a '91 and should not be suspension corrected.....

BTW: The Ti did come with a steel BOI not a Ti BOI. However, I have checked with Chis Igleheart and he said he had never made one in Ti but would love to do it....but those are expensive....
'91 M Yo | '91 S Monster | '93 S/M Yo | '93 Buck Shaver | '94 M Ti | '94 S/M Yo, rust in seat tube. Saved by C. igleheart | '97 S/M Bro Eddy | '97 Klein Quantum Pro | '97 Klein Quantum Pro, Jade Chamelion |

Previous bikes:
'92 M Yo Team Violet, stolen in '95 never recovered | '92 M Yo, rust in seat and down tube, not possible to save | '93 Klein Attitude Moonrise, stolen in '95 never recovered | '98 Trek 9900 OCLV, sold
jbrannsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 8:24 AM   #7
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrannsten View Post
The '91 model did not have a BOI but a Yo Eddy fork. The legs are a bit wider in diameter (1.125 I believe) on the Yo Eddy fork compared to a BOI. The BOI was introduced at a later stage, don't remember when but I believe '93 or '94 (someone else in here can probably confirm it).

What is a bit strange is that the forks you sold seems to be suspension corrected. I have compared these against my '91 and '92 model and the two forks you sold are in fact a tiny bit longer than mine. This is a bit strange as the black fork you had is a '91 and should not be suspension corrected.....

BTW: The Ti did come with a steel BOI not a Ti BOI. However, I have checked with Chis Igleheart and he said he had never made one in Ti but would love to do it....but those are expensive....
I believe that the BOI was introduced on the 10th anniversary model, drum roll please, which was 1992.
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 8:50 AM   #8
YoKris

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
I believe that the BOI was introduced on the 10th anniversary model, drum roll please, which was 1992.

Indeed. You're right!
YoKris is offline   Reply With Quote