FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2008, 9:48 AM   #1
wryte64
New Member
 
Join Date: March 14th, 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 6
Default Bottom Bracket spindle collars

Can anyone tell me where I could get some bottom bracket spindle collars for my '87 kicker? I still ride it everyday as my commuting bike( with a few changes made to it) and one of my spindle collars is cracked at one of the screw points and being held on by just one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
wryte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 9:52 AM   #2
mainlyfats
Senior Member
 
mainlyfats's Avatar
 
Join Date: August 13th, 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 763
Default I think I have one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryte64 View Post
Can anyone tell me where I could get some bottom bracket spindle collars for my '87 kicker? I still ride it everyday as my commuting bike( with a few changes made to it) and one of my spindle collars is cracked at one of the screw points and being held on by just one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 7:44 PM   #3
markm
New Member
 
Join Date: February 18th, 2008
Location: Concord, M
Posts: 1
Default Better replacement....

I just put new spindle collars on my Fat Wicked this week...received them from Rody at www.groovycycleworks.com. One of the collars on my bike cracked same as yours...this was actually a terrible design--set screw design for an aluminum shaft collar--many people experience these cracking at one of the set screws. The collars from groovycycleworks are of a much improved design...a split collar with a pinch bolt...you tighten the bolt and the entire collar grabs securely onto the shaft...just like threadless stems, and many new cranks. A set for only $22 to your door.

Check out groovycycleworks.com -- very nice shop, blog, gallery of his hand made frames.

Mark
markm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #4
MikeyNYC
Senior Member
 
MikeyNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: August 8th, 2004
Location: NYC-NY
Posts: 310
Post Bottom Bracket spindle collars

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
I just put new spindle collars on my Fat Wicked this week...received them from Rody at www.groovycycleworks.com. One of the collars on my bike cracked same as yours...this was actually a terrible design--set screw design for an aluminum shaft collar--many people experience these cracking at one of the set screws. The collars from groovycycleworks are of a much improved design...a split collar with a pinch bolt...you tighten the bolt and the entire collar grabs securely onto the shaft...just like threadless stems, and many new cranks. A set for only $22 to your door.

Check out groovycycleworks.com -- very nice shop, blog, gallery of his hand made frames.

Mark
Rody's collars do look really nice plus they come in silver or black.
Does anyone know a source for actual bottom bracket spindles?
There must be a source other than ebay, as well as a need for these given the sheer number of Fats out there...?
MikeyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #5
colker
Senior Member
 
colker's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 1st, 2006
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 1,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyNYC View Post
Rody's collars do look really nice plus they come in silver or black.
Does anyone know a source for actual bottom bracket spindles?
There must be a source other than ebay, as well as a need for these given the sheer number of Fats out there...?
phil wood.
__________________
wanted: ride time.
colker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:21 PM   #6
commander
Member
 
commander's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 28th, 2008
Location: north
Posts: 22
Default lace

hi

i thought i would put this out there.

after my bike was "borrowed" from me....

i got it back with a shoe lace for a spindle collar.

it worked surprisingly well.
if you ever need a quick fix - that is what you use.


edit


and by the way ...

you know you are "supposed" to use loctite and no collars ....
that's how i always do it - my collars broke --- day one or something like that ....

Last edited by commander; March 3rd, 2009 at 9:33 PM. Reason: edit
commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:42 PM   #7
jh4rt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 21st, 2007
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
phil wood.
If you order the spindles from Phil, better order the bearings too. I just sent a spindle back and ate a set of bearings, as the PW is larger in diameter, and the spindles only come in 119 or 123. Also, the PW bearings don't have the snap rings, press in farther. All-in-all, another learning experience, right?
jh4rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:29 AM   #8
Jcassano
Member
 
Join Date: July 1st, 2012
Location: Orange county CA
Posts: 38
Default Action Tech Spindle Collars

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
I just put new spindle collars on my Fat Wicked this week...received them from Rody at www.groovycycleworks.com. One of the collars on my bike cracked same as yours...this was actually a terrible design--set screw design for an aluminum shaft collar--many people experience these cracking at one of the set screws. The collars from groovycycleworks are of a much improved design...a split collar with a pinch bolt...you tighten the bolt and the entire collar grabs securely onto the shaft...just like threadless stems, and many new cranks. A set for only $22 to your door.

Check out groovycycleworks.com -- very nice shop, blog, gallery of his hand made frames.

Mark
Don't buy Action Techs spindle collars if your using Cooks 176mm cranks, too big!!
Jcassano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.