FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old March 15th, 2008, 9:48 AM   #1
wryte64

Default Bottom Bracket spindle collars

Can anyone tell me where I could get some bottom bracket spindle collars for my '87 kicker? I still ride it everyday as my commuting bike( with a few changes made to it) and one of my spindle collars is cracked at one of the screw points and being held on by just one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
wryte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 9:52 AM   #2
mainlyfats

Default I think I have one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryte64 View Post
Can anyone tell me where I could get some bottom bracket spindle collars for my '87 kicker? I still ride it everyday as my commuting bike( with a few changes made to it) and one of my spindle collars is cracked at one of the screw points and being held on by just one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 7:44 PM   #3
markm

Default Better replacement....

I just put new spindle collars on my Fat Wicked this week...received them from Rody at www.groovycycleworks.com. One of the collars on my bike cracked same as yours...this was actually a terrible design--set screw design for an aluminum shaft collar--many people experience these cracking at one of the set screws. The collars from groovycycleworks are of a much improved design...a split collar with a pinch bolt...you tighten the bolt and the entire collar grabs securely onto the shaft...just like threadless stems, and many new cranks. A set for only $22 to your door.

Check out groovycycleworks.com -- very nice shop, blog, gallery of his hand made frames.

Mark
markm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #4
MikeyNYC

Post Bottom Bracket spindle collars

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
I just put new spindle collars on my Fat Wicked this week...received them from Rody at www.groovycycleworks.com. One of the collars on my bike cracked same as yours...this was actually a terrible design--set screw design for an aluminum shaft collar--many people experience these cracking at one of the set screws. The collars from groovycycleworks are of a much improved design...a split collar with a pinch bolt...you tighten the bolt and the entire collar grabs securely onto the shaft...just like threadless stems, and many new cranks. A set for only $22 to your door.

Check out groovycycleworks.com -- very nice shop, blog, gallery of his hand made frames.

Mark
Rody's collars do look really nice plus they come in silver or black.
Does anyone know a source for actual bottom bracket spindles?
There must be a source other than ebay, as well as a need for these given the sheer number of Fats out there...?
MikeyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #5
colker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyNYC View Post
Rody's collars do look really nice plus they come in silver or black.
Does anyone know a source for actual bottom bracket spindles?
There must be a source other than ebay, as well as a need for these given the sheer number of Fats out there...?
phil wood.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:21 PM   #6
commander

Default lace

hi

i thought i would put this out there.

after my bike was "borrowed" from me....

i got it back with a shoe lace for a spindle collar.

it worked surprisingly well.
if you ever need a quick fix - that is what you use.

edit

and by the way ...

you know you are "supposed" to use loctite and no collars ....
that's how i always do it - my collars broke --- day one or something like that ....

Last edited by commander; March 3rd, 2009 at 9:33 PM. Reason: edit
commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:42 PM   #7
jh4rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
phil wood.
If you order the spindles from Phil, better order the bearings too. I just sent a spindle back and ate a set of bearings, as the PW is larger in diameter, and the spindles only come in 119 or 123. Also, the PW bearings don't have the snap rings, press in farther. All-in-all, another learning experience, right?
jh4rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:29 AM   #8
Jcassano

Default Action Tech Spindle Collars

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post

Mark
Don't buy Action Techs spindle collars if your using Cooks 176mm cranks, too big!!
Jcassano is offline   Reply With Quote