Newschool or Oldschool? Wicked Build

settemarche

Gents,

i recently came across this NOS Wicked - thanks N10S. please wiegh in on build type.

1. full retro period.

2. new SRAM XO with Crossmax rim brake.

personally i am leaning toward the newschool build just for availability of parts.

thanks as always,

Sette

colker

i like old cranks; those can last a long time and the vintage adds to personality. derr. don't age as well. new v brakes work better. i guess my answer is to mix and match. btw.. new saddles look awfull.

Yo Eddy!

Well, I have the proper parts, so sell me the frame :D

I don't know how it is in the US, but overhere parts are not tough to source if you know where to look for them. I regularly buy a donor bike with a not very inspiring frame. And that for a tiny little fraction of the price of a XO groupset.

Nevertheless, that is only how I do it. If you feel good with XO, go with XO.

(but please avoid those fat cranks like on the reissued old Stumpy ;) )

settemarche

i like old cranks; those can last a long time and the vintage adds to personality. derr. don't age as well. new v brakes work better. i guess my answer is to mix and match. btw.. new saddles look awfull.

i agree - hate the new saddles. way too techno.

also - i have a very nice Topline crankset ready and waiting ;-)

Avid Tri Align? pretty retro.

Sette

settemarche

Well, I have the proper parts, so sell me the frame :D

I don't know how it is in the US, but overhere parts are not tough to source if you know where to look for them. I regularly buy a donor bike with a not very inspiring frame. And that for a tiny little fraction of the price of a XO groupset.

Nevertheless, that is only how I do it. If you feel good with XO, go with XO.

(but please avoid those fat cranks like on the reissued old Stumpy ;) )

Mel,

cannot ship to you. maybe when i come out for a ride. at that time i might let you ride it ;-)

i usually do the donor bike program. but, i was thinking about something different. by all account a donor bike will be less expensive. the frame is so nice i gotta think i will not be riding it much. paint is just so nice. i would cry if it were to be scratched.

as Colker mentioned before. yes, indeed most new cranks suck. i think the Toplines will make an apperance. maybe i will get some blue anno chainring bolt to match the paint!

thanks for the input,

Sette

fat-tony

Staff member
build

If you go resto, you can not have your gum wall panaracers back. ;)
I am in the same situation with my Yo. That is a really nice frame you have though!

settemarche

Fat T,

i will tell you - letting those go still hurts to this day. but after seening the Team Violet in all it's glory, i do not feel as bad. i did find gumwall set in wire bead. not as cool but they work good for the BuckShaver.

still on the fence per build. the new/old thing gets me thinking. but i really hate hotrods and that is what those guys do. new Corvette motor in a 1932 body. i cannot stand that. we shall see.

Sette

ChiefBroom

Fat T,

still on the fence per build. the new/old thing gets me thinking. but i really hate hotrods and that is what those guys do. new Corvette motor in a 1932 body. i cannot stand that. we shall see.

Sette

I took my '94 Yo Eddy! into a shop last week and, for something like the 4th time in 13 years, asked what they'd recommend I do to upgrade it. Lots of ideas were suggested, and there was some discussion of the new/old thing. I'd never really thought about it much before (at least in relation to this machine -- I have a '53 Chevy pickup that I've been anguishing over for years). What I offered was that I bought the thing because from the first 50 yards I rode it, it seemed to be alive and possess a spirit. I wouldn't want to do anything to change that. But it also seemed to me that it was designed and built with an uncompromising commitment to performance and quality. If better components had been available in '94, they probably would have been used -- but with the qualification that this bike is a unique melding of classic form and balls-out function. I wouldn't want to do anything to change its spirit or compromise its aesthetics. Within those bounds, I think whatever might better enable the frame's potential is probably what it wants.

That said, I left the bike in the shop for a couple of days. Several people rode it. When I came back, they told me I should leave it alone. Nothing they could do would make it enough better to justify the change. I think I'll quit asking.

Last edited:

settemarche

Cheiftain,

i think we can discuss this further over some brews at FreeState or the Levee. i will be in Overland Park @ the end of Aug for a wedding on the Plaza. would love to take your bike for a spin. however in the many times that i have been to the Shawnee/Overland area i am not sure i have seen much in the way of trails. let's keep in touch.

as for the frame and what it wants. that is a very good point. the frame is under wraps right now as i do not want the wife to see it. she fell for the last excuse i used on the 95 Yo i just bought prior to the Wicked. "I have had that for ages. You just never noticed it." i do not think that i can keep using that one.

what it wants??? i am not sure as i have not spent any time with it. unboxed and put into hidding. since it is NOS i was thinking of ferreting it out of the garage under the cover darkness to the bike shop. they can keep it on the wall. then i can get a feel for what to do with it.

Sette

ChiefBroom

Cheiftain,

i think we can discuss this further over some brews at FreeState or the Levee. i will be in Overland Park @ the end of Aug for a wedding on the Plaza. would love to take your bike for a spin. however in the many times that i have been to the Shawnee/Overland area i am not sure i have seen much in the way of trails. let's keep in touch.

[Snip]

what it wants??? i am not sure as i have not spent any time with it. unboxed and put into hidding. since it is NOS i was thinking of ferreting it out of the garage under the cover darkness to the bike shop. they can keep it on the wall. then i can get a feel for what to do with it.

Sette

We moved back here 3 years ago. It's home. I love it. But the trails suck compared to what I had out the backdoor in CO. Worst is the ticks. Climbing opportunities aren't the best either, except maybe trees. In any case, I'd be very pleased to get together. I'm and Old Guy, so your wife wouldn't have to worry about me leading you astray. As for the bike, that's easy, just give it to me to hold onto for you.

ChiefBroom

as for the frame and what it wants. that is a very good point. the frame is under wraps right now as i do not want the wife to see it. she fell for the last excuse i used on the 95 Yo i just bought prior to the Wicked. "I have had that for ages. You just never noticed it." i do not think that i can keep using that one.

Sette

Sometimes I'm really slow. What you should do is give me the Yo, and when your wife asks about the Wicked, just tell her it's the same bike you've had for years that she's already asked about. Then ask if she changed her hair -- tell her you really like it. That should throw her off. But if she comes back to the bike and says it looks different, tell her you polished it or something like that.

settemarche

Cheiftain,

interesting. the reason i am going back to Overland is for a wedding of a college friend. she and i went to school in Colorado. i agree - the riding in CO is good. but there is are some pretty good single track pretty close to my house in the OC.

with regard to telling the wife it is the same bike. unfortunaltely she is to smart for that. she is big into details. both bikes are blue - but like yours the Yo has a yellow Judy SL and the Wicked has a ridged fork. i wish i could pull it off. i just need to come up with a good cover story.

Sette