FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old January 21st, 2007, 2:26 PM   #1
MikeNZ

Default slim #002Z08 - cracked! ;-(

Bad News: I found a crack at the bb/seattube junction of my 58cm (serial # 002Z08) slim chance. It starts at the weld and migrates up into the seattube.

Ideas on what to do with it? Hang it on the wall? Open heart surgery by someone qualified?

**** I'm seriously distraught!

Mike
MikeNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 4:20 PM   #2
Yo Eddy!

Mike,

It is steel and about everything can be repaired. Some reputed framebuilders overhere can probably tell you more.
Old January 21st, 2007, 8:41 PM   #3
I-ROBOT

Mike,
Take the seatpost out and look down inside the seat tube and see if the bottom of the tube is corroded. If it is, then the bottom section of the tube can simply be cut out and replaced. This was a fairly common occurence on mountain frames and I did several tube-ectomies.
If the tube is not seriously corroded, the crack can be stop-drilled and welded or brazed. It would be prudent to put a small reinforcement patch over the repaired area.
None of these are a cheap fix, of course, and both would require re-painting.
Another suggestion would be to just stop-drill the end of the crack with a 1/16" (1.5 mm) drill and wrap the cracked area with tape. Remove the tape and inspect after riding to see if the crack propagation has been halted. If you ride in wet conditions, remove the seat post after each ride and dry the inside of the seat tube. Coat the interior of the tube with some good grease to increase the corrosion protection.
Good Luck and keep me posted
Scott Bengtson
I-ROBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 2:00 AM   #4
MikeNZ

Default cracked

Thanks for the advice. Yes I plan to take it my local frame builder who is pretty good with tig, fillet brazing and lugged frames so will see what he suggests. There is no or very little rust.

There are three filing marks on the frame right where the crack starts on the weld so suspect that somehow corrosion started there right on the joint.

I'll let you know what the verdict is.
MikeNZ is offline   Reply With Quote