Big bikes

mainlyfats

Inevitably, a thorough search would probably dig up a few gems, but I'd love to see a thread all on it's own for what seems to me to be the Holy Grail of Fat Chances - the big ones.

In all my years of lurking here and checking ebay for Fats (as well as working in a shop that sold more Fats in Canada than anyone else for a while), I've only ever seen one XL for sale. Repack Rider's 85 catalog post made me do a double take: 23 inch! There were 23 inch Fats?

If it wasn't written, I'd never believe it because I sure as heck have never seen one.

So - pardon the pun - who's got the biggest Fat?

1986 21" C BB to C ST

Seriously, I am still Looking for the BIG 23, but recently a friend and I each found 21" 86 FAT CHANCEs. Mine was complete, but pictured below dialed in for my daily circus commute through the burbs to work. To me it was a miracle find.

My friend's is totally 80's, Purple and Yellow Fade, a custom ordered original paint job, and is mint, when he tricks it out it will probably be the most impressive FAT CHANCE Singlespeed I will have ever seen.

Anyway, thought this was right up your alley. It is fast as hell and its like mounting a horse, for a me, I am only 5'11". Maybe a 23" will turn up this weekend atthe big North Carolina swap meet?

ti bars with ouri grips
avid lever with black ops v brake
control tech stem
eno rear eccentric
17/48 drivetrain
cook bros 181mm cranks
team violet BOI fork
king headset
old conti gumwalls
86fatchance_052907_600b.jpg
86fatchance_052907_600a.jpg

mainlyfats

Excellent - SS to boot

I also had one of those - an 87 Deore equipped Fat Chance in black/yellow in the 21 inch size. It was nice, and bigger than any Fat I'd ever seen before I bought it over the internet. I sold it prior to re-locating last year to the now infamous lagunacoupe (who's singlehandedly making Cook Brothers collectors reassess their insurance needs). It fit great and in retrospect...

I'm 6'3 and currently bomb around on an old 19.5' Team Comp SS with about 12' of seatpost and 5' of stem.

86 FAT CHANCE with a Big One Inch

Mis-Matched Geometries

Upon steppin on to the horse, it is a bit sluggish at first, almost like a chopper, the odd combination makes you aware of the rake. a couple nascar swirves, and about 5 minutes you acclimate and no longer are aware of the rake and it gets responsive and fast.

It a great daily rider, I go 8 miles each way to work and it serves its purpose with style and grace.

Generally, I wanted to make the ride a bit more aggro and the look a lot more Circus. Eventually I will put a Black IF fork or a Black Vicious fork, and this un-cut BOI will go back to its matching 94 Yo Eddy frame.

Anyone score a 23" at the BikeSwap in NC? :confused:

colker

Mis-Matched Geometries

Upon steppin on to the horse, it is a bit sluggish at first, almost like a chopper, the odd combination makes you aware of the rake. a couple nascar swirves, and about 5 minutes you acclimate and no longer are aware of the rake and it gets responsive and fast.

It a great daily rider, I go 8 miles each way to work and it serves its purpose with style and grace.

Generally, I wanted to make the ride a bit more aggro and the look a lot more Circus. Eventually I will put a Black IF fork or a Black Vicious fork, and this un-cut BOI will go back to its matching 94 Yo Eddy frame.

Anyone score a 23" at the BikeSwap in NC? :confused:

i didn't like the vicious fork on my wicked. it raised the front and the short rake made matters worse. as soon as i had a wicked fork on the bike gained a proper balance.

mainlyfats

Voila

The biggest Fat I've ever seen.

It's 23.5 square.

Attachments

• BigFat.jpg
    BigFat.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

ameybrook

:kissyface No offense to the tall people here, but that looks ridiculous IMO. Seriously, is there a circus act featuring that thing? The owner would benefit from a 29er

colker

:kissyface No offense to the tall people here, but that looks ridiculous IMO. Seriously, is there a circus act featuring that thing? The owner would benefit from a 29er

the front does not look like a triangle anymore..it's more like a trapeze.

fat-tony

Staff member
the front does not look like a triangle anymore..it's more like a trapeze.

how do you get a rock shox steerer tube in that length to go with the length of that there headtube? and how tall does one need to be to make that fit? no offense to the taller riders, just curious.

mainlyfats

I'm guessing...

how do you get a rock shox steerer tube in that length to go with the length of that there headtube? and how tall does one need to be to make that fit? no offense to the taller riders, just curious.

...about 6 foot 7. The picture shows the seatpost in a position that obviously wouldn't have suited the original owner.

The other possibility is that it was built for a tall someone with fused vertebrae or a spinal issue that prevented them from anything other than a handlebar at seat height position.

I'm 6 foot 3 and if I could have a perfect mtb frame it'd be about 20-21 c-c on the seatpost and around 25 c-c on the top tube (maybe a little more). Having built a bike I know this really limits the tube set options and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this frame is - as you noted fat tony - the absolute biggest frame they could build with the Yo tube set and a suspension fork.

Bring on more big bikes!

ededwards

Well here is what one looks like anyway. A little rough, but ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fat-Chance-Bike...ryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought this one, only arrived just before I went on leave so not ridden yet. Although paint is a little tatty (as per the eBay pics) it is structurally sound and the parts are in good working order (the two spare rear wheels are great too).

Feels a better fit than my L (although that is a great ride) but will have to confirm next week when I get home, jet lagged but eager to test ride!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ededwards

And here is the XL Yo with a few parts changed over from when I got it (far from finished but rideable) and the Mavic sticker covering the worst scratches!

Not at all sure about the fork but where would I find a FAT fork with a long enough steerer?

Attachments

• Yo XL.JPG
    Yo XL.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 14

mainlyfats

That's a challenge...

And here is the XL Yo with a few parts changed over from when I got it (far from finished but rideable) and the Mavic sticker covering the worst scratches!

Not at all sure about the fork but where would I find a FAT fork with a long enough steerer?

You might consider an Inglehart fork. Just as nice as an original, a little cheaper probably and it'll fit.

ededwards

You might consider an Inglehart fork. Just as nice as an original, a little cheaper probably and it'll fit.

Do you know where I'd get one, a quick Google search didn't help!

I contacted a well known frame builder in the UK and a rough estimate for a BOI-a-like was