Fat chance team comp with bullseye crank

Joshblank

Hi. This is my first post on this forum. I had been wanting a yo eddie for a while and im generally pretty broke and have to piece together nice bikes slowly over time. Finally a fully built but rusty fat chance team comp fell into my lap. It has a special splatter pain job and came with bullseye wheel set and cranks. The bb is a sealed barring and the cups are almost entirely round with a small flat part on one end. Does anyone know if these are threaded? Can i swap to a square taper bb so i can run other cranks? If anyone has info on this iwould appreciate it. Also if it is threaded where do i find the tool to turn it.

Thanks

mainlyfats

Hi. This is my first post on this forum. I had been wanting a yo eddie for a while and im generally pretty broke and have to piece together nice bikes slowly over time. Finally a fully built but rusty fat chance team comp fell into my lap. It has a special splatter pain job and came with bullseye wheel set and cranks. The bb is a sealed barring and the cups are almost entirely round with a small flat part on one end. Does anyone know if these are threaded? Can i swap to a square taper bb so i can run other cranks? If anyone has info on this iwould appreciate it. Also if it is threaded where do i find the tool to turn it.

Thanks

For sure you can. You can either buy the full (metric, I think) set-up from Phil Wood, or troll eBay/go to an OG mountain shop and try and find an original Fat City axle. Bearings aren't hard at all, lots of threads on that including the new part # for NTN.

Some ideas for getting it out if you have to:

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/question-about-removing-bullseye-bb-cups-753206.html

Do you really have to though?

Joshblank

these are images of the cups and after sticking my finger inside i realize there are threads. so this is not a press fit on my team comp. and the previous forum only deals with happering press fits out. there must be a tool to grab and twist these cups.... any help will be much apreciated...

Attachments

• IMG_7839.JPG
    IMG_7839.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7845.JPG
    IMG_7845.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 45

mainlyfats

these are images of the cups and after sticking my finger inside i realize there are threads. so this is not a press fit on my team comp. and the previous forum only deals with happering press fits out. there must be a tool to grab and twist these cups.... any help will be much apreciated...

I don't think so, man... I think you have the Euro/Fat-specific version of this: http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/migJNPm-nI4OKC_FHTVsiKg.jpg
The threads are inside the press cup for adjustment, but not in the shell of the frame. I could be wrong, but someone would have purposely altered your frame if I am.

It may be time to take it to one of the original MTB shops in your area and look for the lifer mechanic. Bring a six pack.

I-ROBOT

The existing BB shell would not be thick enough for threading after it had been reamed to size for the press-fit bearings. I don't have any experience with the bullseye bottom bracket but I know a couple of the guys in the shop put them in their personal bikes.

Good Luck
Scott