How is the Plastic Cable Guide mounted to the bottom of the bottom bracket?

I've noticed on some other (non fat chance) frames that I own, this hole is threaded. On my fat chance it's a larger diameter hole and is not threaded. Can anyone tell me what I should use to attach the plastic cable guide to this hole? Thanks, Jon

P1040812.jpg

rick

cable guide

I do not know much about riveting, but I do not see why aluminum would not work....

rody

Jon,

I've also had some come through that had a wedge shaped piece of plastic with a split down the center that extended from the bottom of the guide, pushing up into the hole.

Personally, I'd just drill and tap it for a 5mm bolt, that way you can use a standard water bottle bolt that is cut down.

cheers,

rody

IF52

Jon,

I've also had some come through that had a wedge shaped piece of plastic with a split down the center that extended from the bottom of the guide, pushing up into the hole.

cheers,

rody

Like an automotive trim clip?

Jon,

Personally, I'd just drill and tap it for a 5mm bolt, that way you can use a standard water bottle bolt that is cut down.

cheers,

rody

The hole is already larger than a braze-on bolt otherwise I would have done that. Good suggestion though. I like the plastic expansion bolt with pin going through it (like from auto application) even better!

MikeyNYC

The hole is already larger than a braze-on bolt otherwise I would have done that. Good suggestion though. I like the plastic expansion bolt with pin going through it (like from auto application) even better!

I had a Wicked that was just like this where the riveted cable guide had been removed leaving a bigger hole that couldn't be threaded, so I took a short water bottle bolt, a few brass washers, one of those tiny knurled presta valve nuts and mabe a toe clip fixing nut and I somehow rigged it all together...trial and error and a bunch of random bits and you can totally MacGuyver it.