Merlin = Ti Yo Eddy

schneidw

Hello All,

I recently read a quote from Gary Helfrich that "the Merlin is essentially a Ti Yo Eddy"; therefore I am comfortable asking this question on FatCogs; I just bought a used Merlin to replace my too small Yo Eddy. It came with a Rock Shox SID w no shock pump. Looks like it uses some needle pump or somethign. Anyways, the fork is in great shape other than needing air although it seems flimsy for my riding style. Does anybody know what year this shock might be (98??) and if I can still buy a pump for the shock? Also, am I better off rebuildign the shock with an Eglund cartridge system that hopefully utilizes the same shock pump as my Fox? PLEASE HELP!!!

Attachments

• RS1.JPG
    RS1.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 30
  • RS2.JPG
    RS2.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 26
  • RS3.JPG
    RS3.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 71

kokies

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

schneidw

Thank you Kokie; I appreciate your technical insights... The conversion does seem to be the ultimate solution.. thanks for the idea and source link; very cool! Another stupid question.. sorry I am not a technical person...Do I need 2 of the conversion units.. I found a website that mentions the SID has both a positive and negative chamber, one unit in each leg;

Also, a came accross Total Air replacement cartridges by Eglund that replace all teh shock internals and convert the shock to Shrader too.. Any thoughts on these units? Waste of money??

Thanks AB: The bike is the only suitable replacement for a Yo Eddy IMHO.. I do truelly wonder how close in terms of geometry etc this particular Merlin is to my Yo Eddy.. The current layout is not ideal for me (eg riser bars etc) that I can't get a good feel on comparing the 2 bikes in terms of handling, climbing etc.. still alot of work to do

AB

That's the tough part. Bike/frame geometries are so subtly different from the various builders (all claiming theirs to be the best of course) that it's nearly impossible to become familiar with them all. So blind faith comes into play most of the time and that can be frustrating or surprising, but usually expensive.

Bssc

You have to remember Gary is a bit on the grouchy side when it come to those two names. The merlin has a completely differing geometry to a Yo as the material it self dictates this. Being next door to each other of course for prototypes Merlin used Fat's geometries as a base to start with.

Now for the forks the needle is easily available at the LBS as is a basic pump. If you are going to convert avoid the Schrader type valving as it is not the best for high pressure.

kokies

Yes, I think you need both sides, call bikeman and see if that is for a pair, it looks like it is.

scant

Litespeed did similiar to this as well. Cambria bike used to advertise a litespeed fat bastard. Which was essentially a litespeed built to FAT geometry (I asked cambriabike when they first advertised it :) )

where did you read the gary quote? I'd be curious to see the article :) scan it in if you can?

Yo Eddy!

Scant,

It could very well be schneidw means the 'Bike' article Christian (cdeger) posted on MTBR some time ago:

GreatestBikes1w800.jpg

Schwinn
Breezer
Cunningham
Stumpjumper
Fat City & Merlin
Bontrager
MC San Andreas
AMP
SC Tazmon
Outland
Nog wat

scant

ohhh man! I still dont have a copy of that mag! Thanks for the heads up tho :D
When I click on the links they dont appear full screen, IE I cant read the text! Any way of altering that? Much appreciated :)

Yo Eddy!

Hi Scant,

Wait a few seconds and a an icon appeares in the right lower corner, than click! ...just like with all the other 1001 scans I posted already ;)

outside!

I love my Fat Bastard

scant said:
Litespeed did similiar to this as well. Cambria bike used to advertise a litespeed fat bastard. Which was essentially a litespeed built to FAT geometry (I asked cambriabike when they first advertised it
smile.gif
)
scant said:
where did you read the gary quote? I'd be curious to see the article
smile.gif
scan it in if you can?

I have a '91 Litespeed Fat Bastard. Back in '91 when I was shopping for a new bike, I new I wanted Ti. I had ridden a Yo Eddy and loved the geometry. I called Merlin and asked if it was possilbe to get a custom frame with Yo Eddy geometry, top routed cables (Merlin was still going under the bottom bracket at the time) and rack mounts. The guy on the phone was very grumpy and quoted me very large number. Somewhere in there I called CBO and said that I was looking for a custom Ti frame. Without me even mentioning Yo Eddy geometry
They told me that they were just about to order a batch of custom frames from Litespeed that were copies of the Yo Eddy and would have top routed cables. I asked about getting rack mounts, they said it would be no problem. I think the frame was $1700 and mine was one of 12 or 13 that they ordered. I don't know if they ever ordered another batch. I drove up to Cambria and spent a day picking out parts. I built it up with a Doug Bradbury Manitou fork, Grafton cranks, Bontrager anti-chain suck thing, XT thumbies (upside down and backwards of course), and various goodies. I had two sets of wheels, a 32h racing set with knobbies, and a 36h set with slicks for commuting. This bike saw years of riding, racing and commuting and went with me for a summer in Switzerland and a 10 day tour in Northern Italy. I just recently tuned the bike up again, and will take it out once the local trails dry out some. I use my other bike for mud rides.
Cheers!
Scott

Kirk Pacenti

Huh??

Bssc said:
The merlin has a completely differing geometry to a Yo as the material it self dictates this.

Please explain this statement.

I am sure your not saying that just because Merlin used Ti over steel as in the YO!, that they couldnot use the YO's 72/71 geometry...are you?

schneidw

Kirk Pacenti said:
Please explain this statement.

I am sure your not saying that just because Merlin used Ti over steel as in the YO!, that they couldnot use the YO's 72/71 geometry...are you?

I was wondering if that was the case.. the way Gary Helfrich made it sound the Merlin was essentially a TI clone of the Yo Eddy.. 72/73 correct?

Kirk Pacenti

I thought the YO was 71 head / 72 seat.

Regardless.... there is NO reason you could not build any geometry from Ti, steel, Alm, carbon whatever.

scant

maybe its just mean? I didnt assume the merlin being based on the yo eddy purely meant angles? IE tube profiles/ diameter etc..

Bssc

Head tube and seat tube angles do not make up the whole geometry/ design of a frame. Back then tubing choices for Ti was very limited frames had to be designed around the limitations of the metal. Things like bottom bracket drop were changed, top tube, down tube, seat stays and chain stays all had to be changed to make the bike somewhat act like a Ti Yo. Frame flex was never quite eliminated in the changes from the Yo geometry.

Now you can pretty much design a frame and drop in any material you wish with out fear of having to alter geometry's/ designs to suite the material.