Indy Fabulous

Zamfir

Frame is a 18" and I have some awesome developments.....

Just met a local guy who has a triple butted Project 2, Paul's single speed wheelset and, a number of stems that would work perfect for this bike! Biggest problem is I will need to give up some classic parts for the trade, it will be worth it though.

Reasoning behind the rigid fork is because I fully intent on riding the bike, which means a lot of stand and grind up hills. With a sus fork there is just too much bobbing for my tastes.

Next step (after collecting parts) is to contact the painter who sprayed my Wicked and see if he will shoot the stem and fork.....

I will update as always.

colker

Frame is a 18" and I have some awesome developments.....

Just met a local guy who has a triple butted Project 2, Paul's single speed wheelset and, a number of stems that would work perfect for this bike! Biggest problem is I will need to give up some classic parts for the trade, it will be worth it though.

Reasoning behind the rigid fork is because I fully intent on riding the bike, which means a lot of stand and grind up hills. With a sus fork there is just too much bobbing for my tastes.

Next step (after collecting parts) is to contact the painter who sprayed my Wicked and see if he will shoot the stem and fork.....

I will update as always.

ride the judy while he paints the other stuff. win/win.

Zamfir

Unfortunately the Judy/Syncros are both 1". I've thought about looking for a new 1 1/8" crown because the Judy is freshly rebuilt, has a sweet Risse cartridge and replacement springs.

Anyway i'm excited to proceed on this build!

colker

Unfortunately the Judy/Syncros are both 1". I've thought about looking for a new 1 1/8" crown because the Judy is freshly rebuilt, has a sweet Risse cartridge and replacement springs.

Anyway i'm excited to proceed on this build!

easy to find the 1 1/8 crown. the opposite is tough.

tvcreative

Everytime I start meddling with 1 1/8 bikes, I just end up going with stuff that really works

An old judy is an old judy, the playschool of suspension.

Same thing with an old syncros stem. Pains in the as@ you need the angled plastic stem cap, and then you deal with the non removeable faceplate....

just get an IF fork and a Thomson Stem and call it a day....you will smile all day long

colker

Everytime I start meddling with 1 1/8 bikes, I just end up going with stuff that really works

An old judy is an old judy, the playschool of suspension.

Same thing with an old syncros stem. Pains in the as@ you need the angled plastic stem cap, and then you deal with the non removeable faceplate....

just get an IF fork and a Thomson Stem and call it a day....you will smile all day long

hmm.. a salsa steel stem wouldn't work that bad..;)

Zamfir

Have faith, this build will come together quite nicely once I score just a few more parts....

Indy fork would be the perfect match and I might go in that direction depending on how my part quest goes today. If all goes as planned I should have a fork, stem, and rear hub (or wheelset) later today!

I will say that the Syncros stem is on my top 10 list of favorite vintage parts for both looks and functionality. If it was the correct size I would use it for sure.

sneb

i switched to a salsa ahead stem with a 99 sid xc on mine recently, and i know what is meant with the "pain in the ..." of a "non removeable faceplate". on the other hand i smile all day long since it's done. :)

cheers
:sneb

Attachments

• if18salsasid.jpg
    if18salsasid.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 26

colker

i switched to a salsa ahead stem with a 99 sid xc on mine recently, and i know what is meant with the "pain in the ..." of a "non removeable faceplate". on the other hand i smile all day long since it's done. :)

cheers
:sneb

i like that handlebar.:cool:

Zamfir

Parts, parts, and more parts!

Had a productive and (relatively) expensive parts day yesterday. Unfortunately my parts guy wasn't interested in trading so i'll need to squirrel away some cash before I pick everything up.

1995 Kona P2 TB fork, flat-grey color. Not the fanciest fork but it will fit perfect and comes in at 800g's, it is threaded and has nice cast dropouts. I hope to have this and the stem repainted.

Stem, not sure yet. He is going to do some rummaging to find a 120mm quill with a cable guide. My guess is either Control Tech or Kona. Guy is a huge Kona fan and has at least 4 Hot's including a Tet built one.

Wheels. Paul's singlespeed rear with WI freewheel, ugly Salsa rim. Front hub is a Black Ringle with nice Mavic 231. I'm still hoping to swap rims/spokes with late 80's Weimann's. I really like these rims, very wide and ever so shiny which is the look i'm going for. Another option is to go with new rim brake Stan's so I can run tubeless and drop the pressure to soften the ride a little.

Brake levers. He has a set of Machine Tech Zero Flex! Perfect because i'm planning on using MT Zero Flex cantis. Sorry guys.

So parts cache is almost complete, just need a saddle, handlebar, bottom bracket, tires, chainring and chain.

Zamfir

I would consider a Hot is the price was right, honestly though my knowledge of Kona's is practically zero.

colker

I happen to like t bone quill stems and they used to pop on ebay at nice, comfy prices. MOstly 135mm though.
You can always go crazy with an Ibis titanium stem... if you have 200 dollars burning a hole in your wallet.

sneb

i tried a kona p2 triple butted with a-c 410 or 415(? can't remember right now). they made a fast around the corner ride, and i kept this for more than 2 years. if you're on budget or wanting to figure out what fits best, i would give them a try.
mine were threaded, and i completed it with a 2nut king and a really nice bontrager stem-bar-combo (bar was glued and riveted to the quilled stem). in sum it was the lightest, stable solution for the price i was able to find.

to figure out, if it is a triple butted p2, watch out for a "TP" at the steerer. it's hard to read sometimes.

good luck
:sneb.

tvcreative

I put a Kona Type II on my Deluxe and it was not right, I think they are 410 out of the gate - but they do make one longer

I still say a Salsa Cromato is a nice properly sized, properly raked fork for cheap...425mm A2C.

Zamfir

Fork is stamped 1995 TB, which I assume means made in 1995 and is triple butted, weighs a 800g, and has the nice cast dropouts. Classy looking fork and I hope won't throw the geometry off too much and i'm hoping it will be a little compliant, though that doesn't matter too much to me. I prefer climbing efficiency over downhill prowess.

I haven't measured the axle to crown but from the attached pic it looks quite long. Would anybody know what the length should be? IF said it was designed for a 80mm travel fork.

Even though my build doesn't appeal to everybody i'm seriously loving the stance and look right now. The simple straight lines remind me of the old school look that I dig so much.

Attachments

• IFP2.jpg
    IFP2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 39