Indy Fabulous

Zamfir

Just picked up a new frame/seatpost and i'm thrilled!

Frame is a 2001 IF Deluxe single speed, in chartreuse with baby blue stars. I really like the paint, reminds me of the cool dayglo Chance schemes that I love so much. Seat post is a very posh Syncros Ti.

Looking past the paint I can see many build details that others have mentioned, gusset at the dt, seat tube ring, constant dia chain stays.

Anyway it's in good shape overall but has some paint chips here and there, plus a small dent in the seat tube, no big deal, not even considering a repaint, nope.

So my plans are to build it to early 90's spec. First find a rigid fork or, gasp....have one made. Segmented of course and hopefully with a threaded steerer so I could run a Salsa or Syncros stem with a guide. I'll be running catis front and back and Mavic 231 rims, in fact those are the only parts I have at the moment so this could take a while......

Any suggestions on a fork?

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Attachments

• IF.jpg
    IF.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IF HT sm.jpg
    IF HT sm.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IF dt.jpg
    IF dt.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IF bb.jpg
    IF bb.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 33

Syborg

Hi Zamfir!

A very nice Independent that you've found. Congratulations. As a rigid fork I would recommend an Igleheart fork. Have fun building the bike and and please show us some pictures of the finished bike.
But first of all please polish the head tube badge to a high gloss

Greetings Helmut

sneb

congrats!

hey, you did it! the seatstays seems to be s-bended. this would mean it's 2000+. so something suspended should be possible too.

cheers
:sneb

Zamfir

I would absolutely go for a Igleheart if possible Helmut. The one Chris made for my Wicked is just so nice and plush on the trail, plus it looks so damn cool! A similar fork would be perfect for this ss build.

Polish the head tube badge? Is it aluminum? Seems to have a brass look to it.

Zamfir

Very cool! Are the IF head badges made of silver?

Checked my bin last night and turned up a 1 1/8" no logo CK threaded headset in silver so i'm one baby step closer to build nirvana.

Few more pictures attached. 4lbs 2.6oz frame isn't too shabby, guessing I can get the build in the low 20's going full rigid and with reasonably light parts.

Attachments

• IF WEIGHT.jpg
    IF WEIGHT.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IF DO.jpg
    IF DO.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 13

colker

I would build w/ threadless and probably a marzochi bomber Z2. Threadless makes easier to swap forks.
if it was 1inch i would go threaded. so easy to find forks w/ threadless steerers in 1 1/8.

sweet singlespeed you've got there.

tvcreative

I think IF made brass and silver HT badges....

I have a PHIL pissoff, that is IF made and the HT badge was made in silver by Jen Green

here are a couple of pix with goofy fast tires...

This is the only geared 26" PO in existence.

BTW - IF makes a damn nice fork for your IF SS. The one on this bike is fantastic.

Attachments

• po1.jpg
    po1.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 50
  • po2.jpg
    po2.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 30

colker

hmmm TV creative... you know.. you could have a 29er wheel up front. You would need another fork.. but it would be a killer ride in the woods.

tvcreative

yes I could, 450mm AC

the bike was built around a 100mm travel suspension, that's what about 445 or 450?

and 29er rigid forks are anywhere from 445 to 475?

It was Portland area "Racer" Perry Roper's to start out with and was originally built to his spec

believe it or not the BB height is 11 7/8s as this is set up...

I have tried shorter forks 425 and 438 and this needs an IF offset

colker

yes I could, 450mm AC

the bike was built around a 100mm travel suspension, that's what about 445 or 450?

It was Perry Roper's and was originally his spec

believe it or not the BB height is 11 7/8s as this is set up...

You want a shorter fork than this one. Don't know which rake would work best.. you would probably steepen the head angle a bit. Maybe have even less BB height and all that make the bike magical at technical sections.
JOnes sells unicrown forks w/ no travel but the rake is made for slack head angles. Hunter maybe.

hmmm.. i just opened IF's website and they have a 29er w/ short AC. no travel.

tvcreative

thanks...i have tinkered this to death. I have an Igleheart 425 and it rides very squirrelly when it was mounted

I have also tried a vicious 438 with 38 offset - which is so so. I have that on it right now...

The IF deluxe's I have owned worked great with the Igleheart 420mm...

I now have that fork - on a YO i just picked up (a working steed not so perfect)

I will post when completed

colker

thanks...i have tinkered this to death. I have an Igleheart 425 and it rides very squirrelly when it was mounted

I have also tried a vicious 438 with 38 offset - which is so so. I have that on it right now...

The IF deluxe's I have owned worked great with the Igleheart 420mm...

I now have that fork - on a YO i just picked up (a working steed not so perfect)

I will post when completed

but when you mount a 29 wheel on that w/ 420 fork.. it won't be squirrely. Maybe the right number is not 420. It needs a fork made for a 29er wheel and rake appropriate for your head angle.

sneb

i found this at ifrider. the frame was made for 100mm sus. this forks mounted should be around 420mm a-c. keep in mind, that the bigger wheel increases trail, if you don't takes forks with bigger rake.

cheers
:sneb

Attachments

• 01651a.jpg.jpg
    01651a.jpg.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 51

Zamfir

Damn TV, that is one nice looking bike. Lovely.

Just got off the phone from IF and had a nice discussion about my frame, forks, and wheel options.

I was told that my frame was designed around a 80mm travel fork and that they can build one and color match. Expensive but a great option.

I also asked if he had any idea if it would be possible to run 650b wheels on this frame, not that i'm seriously thinking about it, just curious about option... He said he had heard of it being done. The main concern is the brake boss' lining up with the rims.

So i'm still searching for options. Starting with a fork and working from there.

colker

Damn TV, that is one nice looking bike. Lovely.

Just got off the phone from IF and had a nice discussion about my frame, forks, and wheel options.

I was told that my frame was designed around a 80mm travel fork and that they can build one and color match. Expensive but a great option.

I also asked if he had any idea if it would be possible to run 650b wheels on this frame, not that i'm seriously thinking about it, just curious about option... He said he had heard of it being done. The main concern is the brake boss' lining up with the rims.

So i'm still searching for options. Starting with a fork and working from there.

Get a Surly 1x1 fork.