Tin Can build

Zamfir

Hello Fatistas.

Now that my Wicked project has been completed (and turned out superb) my wandering mind has started to consider a new project to occupy the dark winter days that are surely on the way.

Not being able to find a 'Yo frameset for my budgeted amount of $250 I decided to go a entirely different route.

Back in the early 90's I had very strong opinions of mt frame designs and materials, had to be steel, made in the US, and no gimmicky designs like elevated stays or triple triangles. Fast forward to last week when I saw a frame for sale that had everything I disliked so many years ago but have learned to appreciate from a design standpoint, a 1992 Alpine Stars AlMega. Easton program tubing, elevated stays, made I think in Italy? Completely off the wall design.

My motivation for this build (besides finding the frame for a great price) is to use as many spares I have on hand, take my time and try to have a rider by early spring. I will update this build thread as I proceed, but as I mentioned I plan to take my time and slowly accumulate the missing parts.

List of parts that I have (besides the fork):

Frame: 92 Alpine Stars Al-Mega, polished or ball burnished finish.
Fork: No idea. Ideally I would like to score a Funk Fat fork like the pic. Would anybody have one they would consider selling, pretty please?
Brakes: Machine Tech front and rear, either soda blasted or polished.
Brake Levers: Dia Comp SS-7
Wheelset: XT Parallax
Rear deralluier: XT
Shifters: XT

Will update as I proceed.

Cheers

Attachments

• AL-2.jpg
    AL-2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Funk Fat.jpg
    Funk Fat.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 16

Zamfir

I have to admit that my exposure to Alpine Stars bikes has been very limited, i've never seen one in person (that I can recall), and haven't even pedaled a e-stay bike. My exposure to early 90's aluminum frames consists of a 10 minute trail ride on a Klein which I did not like the feel of at all (my rigid Yeti felt like a Cadillac compared to that bike) so with the oversized alloy tubes and super short chainstays I really don't expect it to ride smooth like the Wicked.

That being said I do like the industrial look of this frame and it should be a fun winter project.

Right now the biggest challenge seems to be finding a fork that would suit the build. I'm considering a early Manitou but would much rather go rigid and find a oversized alloy fork like the Funk, though I realize those are super rare=spendy.

Zamfir

Update on parts

Decided to trade the very cool Pino qr's for a really nice Sandvik titanium handlebar for this build. It was painful but seemed like a logical decision at the time, trading a part I couldn't use for something that I could.

Also scored a Manitou2 in the right size for this build, gave up early on finding an appropriate alloy rigid.

Will post pics of the soon to be polished ti bar and other bits soon.

Cheers

Zamfir

minor update

Framework has progressed thanks to a good friend of mine.

Seems like a common problem for early Easton Pro-Gram frames to develop cracks regardless of manufacturer, not sure why. My frame had a crack that ran from the slot on the backside of the seat tube which continued about 1/4" forward just above the seat stay weld (I was aware of a crack before I purchased the frame). After discussed this with a machinist friend over a fine Northwest Micro he said no problem, the attached is the result. Crack repaired with a nice fat weld.

Only other frame issue is the extraction of a broken screw on the replaceable dropout. Not sure how to get that out just yet.......

In any case I hope to move forward soon.

Attachments

• weld.jpg
    weld.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 21

ranier

Cool to see how others spec out their bikes.

I also have an alu Alpinestars bike except mine had a straight seat tube and no front derailleur direct mount. Mine also had the lower head tube gusset and I think it's also Easton "something" tubing. Thankfully no visible frame cracks (knock on wood). One thing that does worry in the back of my mind is the replaceable derailleur hanger. The one on mine is corroded with rust (on a alu hanger?) and I can't find a place that has replacements. If it fails I might SS it or hang the frame in the garage as wall art.

With respect to the front derailleur mounting on your bike, dunno if it's the same as the current direct mount derailleurs or an older, no longer produced standard. Might be difficult to source one if the latter.

Good luck on the build...

Zamfir

Ranier,

I'm probably completely wrong but I saw a GT replaceable dropout on ebay that looks almost identical too the Al-Mega. In any case is the part usable? If it isn't bent you could probably clean it right up with some wet/dry sandpaper.

My build is progressing at a snails pace at the moment. Still trying to locate a 1 1/4 steerer tube (or crown with the tube) long enough to work. My local bike shop buddy said that he has a box full of Manitou crowns and steer tubes, he just hasn't had the time to look.......ergh

Once I figure out the fork I will start looking for a headset, stem, and front derailleur.

ranier

Yeah, I cleaned the D hanger of the surface rust and coated it with T-9. Hope is doesn't give up the ghost.

I pressed in a head tube reducer to convert the 1 1/4 to 1 1/8th. Much more fork options. I don't have the funky front derailleur mount on my A* but I went 1x9 for a easy set up. A bashwich works well on an e-stay frame.

Zamfir

minor update

Finally scored a new fork crown and headset to go with my Manitou 3. Trying to stick with 1 1/4 stem and steerer has been a major headache but it will be worth it in the long run.

The black Control Tech stem is only temporary and a odd one. Must have a 15 degree rise and only 70mm length. Answer/Manitou stem will suit it perfectly.

Some might recognize the notorious white Schwab's.......

Attachments

• Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 10

mikee

looking good
get on with it then

here's a pic of one of my 3 al-megas ,just to inspire
P1030776.jpg

Zamfir

Wow that paint, love it!

Should have the missing links by the end of this week and will start building the bike.

It's going to be a looker, can't wait....

Zamfir

Minor Update

Thought i'd try out a single speed.

Attachments

• AlpineS2.jpg
    AlpineS2.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 27
  • AlpineS.jpg
    AlpineS.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 13

Zamfir

Thanks guys. This bike is definitely a work in progress at the moment, though it is being used almost daily. I do have a nice set of XT thumbs, derailleurs, and wheelset that might eventually end up on the bike.

Anyway the monster tires in the pic are off a friends downhill bike, Conti DerKaiser 2.5 with the super soft compound. They fit nicely but rolling resistance is terrible. Feels like i'm riding with 2 flat tires. After the 1st ride I switched to a light and quicker 2.25 front and back, huge difference.

Normally I cringe when I see a vintage machine single speeded but i thought i'd try it out on this build just for kicks. It is a lot of fun, and tough!

Back to the build.

Frame: 1992 Alpinestars AlMega
Fork: Currently Manitou 3. Would like to find a 1.25 rigid fork.
Stem: Answer Atac
Headset: Dia Comp Ahead
Bars: Sandvik Ti
Seat: Sella Flite
Seatpost: Soon to be Origin 8 in Silver
Cranks: M900 XTR
Bottom Bracket: Ritchey Prolite, hollow Ti
Brakes: Machinetech Zero Flex
Brake Levers: Dia Comp SS7
Wheels: Surly hubs, Mavic rims, thru axles. I was told these were built for 4X and given their weight I believe it.

One of the biggest surprise is now nice the frame rides, smooth and nice stable geometry. Plus it just looks so cool.

mattb

I have an aluminum vintage fork with an 11/4" steerer if your interested I'll measure & send some pics.

Zamfir

Updates

Fitted the new oversized and burly looking alloy fork (Thank you MattB).

Front, rear deralluiers, shifters, and a nifty hand cut copper Alpine Stars badge on the seat tube.

Cheers!

Attachments

• AS fork1.jpg
    AS fork1.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 17
  • ASF2.jpg
    ASF2.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 20